Programming beginner, which language should I learn?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

33 Replies - 10020 Views - Last Post: 18 August 2011 - 07:01 PM Rate Topic: -----

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming beginner, which language should I learn?

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

Thing is learning a gaming API/SDK/Framework/Engine whatever at the same time as another language is a huge mistake. It is best to stick with what you know. The OP works in Java so Java makes the most sense. If they wish to use a different language I'd highly suggest getting very familiar with it before under taking game programming. Trying to learn two things at the same time just doesn't work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 18 August 2011 - 03:47 PM, said:

Thing is learning a gaming API/SDK/Framework/Engine whatever at the same time as another language is a huge mistake. It is best to stick with what you know. The OP works in Java so Java makes the most sense. If they wish to use a different language I'd highly suggest getting very familiar with it before under taking game programming. Trying to learn two things at the same time just doesn't work.

Oh, I agree completely.

Not of course that I followed my own advice. :) When I learned to program, my first lines of BASIC were in an attempt to create a game... There are so often differences between what you should do and what you will do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about Java... Before I posted this I hadn't coded at all in my life and had only started gathering information on how I should go about starting to learn, but I apologise for the confusion
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

Sorry, was thinking about another thread. If you're just starting out then Python would be a good language to start with. It is a high level language and hides many complexities of C++. There is also Pygames which makes making games a little easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +