Did i pick a good book?

"Killer Game Programming (in Java tm)" By:Andrew Davison

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 2000 Views - Last Post: 08 April 2007 - 08:53 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Did i pick a good book?

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

ok i live in ohio and we have a pretty good book selection at barns and noble (dont' know if i spelled that right?) and there were lots of books on this subject of "Java Game Programming" / "C++ Game Dev" i found this book "Killer Game Programming" in Java By: Andrew Davison ? is this a good buy for $44.99 US cash! lol i think it is but I'm not sure im on ch. 2 about page 22 of 969 pg! this will take me a long time!

ok question #2 the codes in the book are written like this

// not accualy in the book EX.
public class BLAHBLAH extends BlahBlah implements Runnable
{
//now that looks easy but this next part when i write the next code from the book it looks like this in the book
private BLAH BLAH BLAH
private BLAH BLAH BLAH
//ok see those spaces do i need to add them when im Writing in NotePad or not?
private BLAH BLAH BLAH
private BLAH BLAH BLAH
//please help? this is not explained in the book!

This post has been edited by LoganLooker: 25 February 2007 - 08:47 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Did i pick a good book?

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Did i pick a good book?

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:03 AM

I have this book. I can't say if it's a good book, since I haven't finished it and gaming is not my area of expertise. But, so far it's pretty good. My main gripe is that he includes Java 1.4 stuff al;ong with java 1.5. I'm sure it's due to the publication date being soon after the 1.5 release. But it's still annoying to have to sift through it. You could have got it for $29.67 at Amazon.com. For future reference, Amazon also has reviews (unless the book is too new).

I can't tell anything from the "blahblah" code you posted. Maybe you could give me the page number of the code in question and I'll have a look when I get a little time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

ahhh i dont know im pretty knew at this to mybe if your interested we can start a java game project together lol i have some what of a community to get us started with the stuff only about 9 ppl registered to my forums mybe we can get something going me u programming? i have great ideas mybe you can stop by and check it out my website is in my sig I think but if not then here http://feverstudios.tk
hope you like lol im big in web development so i could help you with that sort of thing this is probably = SPAM lol so i'll pm you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:09 PM

View PostLoganLooker, on 1 Mar, 2007 - 07:32 PM, said:

ahhh i dont know im pretty knew at this to mybe if your interested we can start a java game project together lol i have some what of a community to get us started with the stuff only about 9 ppl registered to my forums mybe we can get something going me u programming? i have great ideas mybe you can stop by and check it out my website is in my sig I think but if not then here http://feverstudios.tk
hope you like lol im big in web development so i could help you with that sort of thing this is probably = SPAM lol so i'll pm you!

I appreciate the offer, but I'm way too busy to take on any more projects at the moment. Once I've completed my M.S. Computer Science, then maybe I'll have some breathing room. It could be a while.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:55 PM

ok kool looks like a plan well actually not a deal but sounds good get my email from my profile and contact me i have the websites up...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:53 AM

I think he's got that book online for free,
is this the same one?

http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/

I don't know much Java yet, but the book looks very helpful.

Mary Beth
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1