Should I go .net or Java?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

33 Replies - 24480 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I go .net or Java?

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

Howdy. I am almost done with my Associates in CS and I now need to learn a programming language. I had a limited amount of money for school and I spent all my electives on database classes, so i have to teach myself at home. I learn fairly easy, so i am not too worried.

What I can't figure out is which way to go. My first thought is Java, because there are quite a few jobs for Java Programmers in my area and it seems to go well with Oracle, which I have been studying.

My other thought is the .net family (vb.net, asp.net c#) because I have already taken a class in VB6 and loved it. There are also jobs for .net developers in my area.

My eventual goal is to be a senior DB developer, not picky as to the DB (oracle, SQL Server, etc).

Anywho, I am hoping to get some opinions from you guys as to which way to go. Java to match my Oracle interest? Or .net because I already have familiarity which VB?

Note: I am currently a web developer and I use javascript and PHP almost daily.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I go .net or Java?

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I go .net or Java?

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:16 AM

I say learn C# or Java. I would leave VB alone. C# and Java have a ton of jobs out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:18 AM

Learn both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:39 AM

Disclaimer: Every answer you get will be biased. Look into both languages, but as was mentioned, stay away from VB. When you compare C# to Java you will probably find Java to be clunky, but don't discount it as it's still one of the most (if not THE most) sought-after development job skills. I find Java jobs pay a bit higher on the top end, but .NET and Java seem to run pretty close in terms of number of jobs for the most part. During bad economic times Java seems to pull ahead because companies are looking to save money and go with a "free" solution. The problem with that reasoning is that Senior Java developers are sometimes hard to come by and hence not cheap and will probably eat up whatever savings a company might get from switching from VS.NET/SQL Server to an open source solution.

Add Groovy or Scala to your list of languages as well. Both run on the Java Virtual Machine. Since you are familiar with Javascript, Groovy should be a snap for you to learn. Also, if you are not already writing your Javascript using jQuery, you should look into it. It's an absolutely essential library for anyone serious about web development.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:36 AM

Honestly, at my company it barely matters if you know c# or vb.net. Half of the job is creating a GUI which is mostly done with visual studios designer and that's the same for both languages. Even when you start coding the difference are not as glaring as c# people would like to make you believe.

Personally I prefer .net over java, but that's because I had to create GUIs as part of my applications in both languages and doing this in java is so much more complicated and still looks shitty in the end compared to what .net does. Even more so if you use proprietary tools like devexpress which can do a lot of really fancy stuff.

However, I am not sure why you would want to learn VB6. A quick google search tells me that this is very dated.

Anyway, obviously everyone will tell you "learn what I learned because I am the only person who's opinion matters and every language that I don't use is obviously inferior". At the end of the day, you gotta go with what you think you will enjoy most. And then you might still have to switch on the job. We have several people that started out with c# but our project is done in vb.net so they had to switch.

This post has been edited by Nightfish: 19 August 2011 - 05:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:01 AM

I hate VB, but if you really enjoyed it then definitely go for VB.NET.
And you'll be surprised to hear that there are just as many VB.NET jobs as they are C# jobs.
See here http://www.tiobe.com...tpci/index.html
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

I actually went from VB to VB.NET, and I remember hating VB.NET with a passion (I was accustomed to doing lower level graphics work on VB6 which was discontinued in .NET). Also, at the time there was a bit more information out there on C# than VB.NET, so after a month or maybe several I switched on over to C#.

Java sounds cool too, but with C# you get WPF (interesting GUI developement framework that is somewhat similar to html) and that high level 3D graphics framework (it's 2D unfriendly IMO and too big to learn for you to get anything fun out of for a brief time of studying). Maybe someone can list some interesting capacities of Java? I know that have some kind of skinning system I think.

This post has been edited by NotarySojac: 19 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

thank you all for your answers, they are helpful. So it seems that knowing VB6 is not that much of a help when transitioning into c#, correct?

I do like the point about the difference with graphics (click and drag within visual studio, as opposed to programmatically setting x, y coords which seems very tedious). As a web developer I have to do a lot of graphic work, which I don't really care for so maybe C# would be more my speed.

If I do go with C#, do I also need to learn asp.net or am I mixing things up? Also, is c# similar to PHP or JS?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

Since you plan on doing web development, I would highly recommend learning ASP.NET if you learn C#. I attended a Microsoft conference here in Albuquerque awhile back, where they were discussing the use of ASP.NET in C# applications. It really gives you the a lot of options when it comes to building dynamic content, with the added benefit of being built on the CLR so you can use it with any .NET language.

As far as C# being similar to PHP or JS, I wouldn't be able to make any real comparisons besides having the ability to use loops and conditionals in PHP. The syntax is kind of similar to Java, but really I wouldn't worry about how similar it is to one language or another. If you can familiarize yourself with one language, you can pick up another. Find the little variances in syntax, pick up a book on the language and you'll do just fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

What are you looking to do? Java is used in the industry mainly for enterprise-grade applications (Java EE) and mobile apps (Android). As it stands now, Android is the dominant mobile platform followed by iPhone. So Android is a huge plus. In contrast, Microsoft's mobile platform WP7 doesn't have the same market penetration as Android or iPhone, but is a far cry from being a dead technology like J2ME.

C# is a pretty popular language as well. Exposure to the .NET framework is great as well. Other .NET languages like VB.NET, ASP.NET, F#, etc., use the same libraries. So it helps when learning a new .NET language.

In comparison to PHP, C# and Java both have similar syntax to each other and PHP. They are all based on C. Loops, conditionals, functions/methods, etc., are all pretty similar. PHP is less structured, but is also OO like C# and Java. I find it easy to pick up.

Hope this helps some. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

I am actually trying to get away from web site development because everywhere job I have had, I end up doing a bunch of graphic/image editing, which I really don't care for. I just want to sit in the corner and code!

I am looking for any IT job right now, so maybe I will wait until I land something, then reevaluate.

Thank you all for your responses, I know have a better understanding of my choices.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

I opened up my visual studio 2010 to play around with c# and noticed it has Visual C#. is that the same thing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

Yap, and that is how Microsoft names its languages that run in Visual Studio: VIsual C#, Visual Basic, Visual C++ and Visual J# all on the .NET framework... MSDN has a lot of starting tutorials and "How to" videos may also be useful.

Also here at C# forums, you may find a lot of get started tutorials

This post has been edited by smohd: 20 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

I do like the point about the difference with graphics (click and drag within visual studio, as opposed to programmatically setting x, y coords which seems very tedious).

This can be good and bad though. For example many people love the windows form designer as they can drag n drop a couple of buttons and show a messagebox etc etc and call themselves a programmer. But they have no idea what happened behind the scenes and when someone tries to resize it, nothing happens and it looks horrific as all components are static.

Its one of the biggest disadvantages of a GUI designer in my opinion. It saves you time by coding the x,y for you yes, but it doesn't encourage you to implement layout managers that makes GUI's look and feel so good. This is one of the good things in Java. Yes the GUI's look pretty bad, but at least they respond well to the user because they (practically) enforce you to use layout managers to create anything half decent.

I would say try C# first but remember that drag n drop has its problems as well, and make sure you always know what happens behind the scenes as you never know when you may not have access to your beloved designer.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

If you eventually decide to go with C#, this is an awesome place to start.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +