• Last »

203 Replies - 5023 Views - Last Post: 28 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Anime: How much is too much?

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

Posted Image

Starting to think I have a bit of an issue by this point, and this isn't even counting near all of them... Time to cut back a bit, but jeez, 2 months?!

Anyone else watch too much anime?

(I saw this browsing around for a fall 2011 anime list: http://www.anime-planet.com )

It'd help if I hadn't been loyal to the mainstreams all the way (Naruto, Bleach, etc.)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Anime: How much is too much?

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Anime: How much is too much?

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

My coworker (30-some year old single guy) has 1 TB of anime on his hard drive. Most if it is probably pr0nz.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

when i was like 14 :P
i still think it's cool but i'm not entertained by it enough to continue watching anime.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

It would help if I didn't watch all those massive run shows when I was a kid like DBZ and all that... Lord, if I had kept up with detective conan...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

View PostLemur, on 20 August 2011 - 06:05 PM, said:

It would help if I didn't watch all those massive run shows when I was a kid like DBZ and all that... Lord, if I had kept up with detective conan...

DBZ is my biznazz.
rurouni kenshin, yu yu hakusho, etc.. all the ones that were on with it on Cartoon Network at that time are awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

....I just broke 3 months worth. How many hours did I spend as a kid watching!? No wonder my parents forced me to join Cross Country in 6th grade...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:15 PM

I was also forced into athletics. What's wrong with watching anime and playing Socom all day online? wtf :P
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

I don't watch animes now that cross the 100 episode mark, unless it's especially good or I really have free time. The way I see it, if you're going to spend your time watching anime, do it wisely. Watch animes that take < 100 episodes to finish. That means you'll finish a lot of stuff and have more in to speak with your otaku friends other than those people who only watch One Piece, Conan, Naruto, Bleach and feel like any other people watching other animes are lesser beings. Besides, typical animes( those that aren't cash cows) only run for 26 episodes long normally. Here are some animes to get you started on doing more with less.

6 episodes:
FLCL
Karas(never finished this)

12 episodes:
Requiem of Darkness
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
High School of the Dead

26 episodes:
Honey and Clover
Claymore(I forgot how many episodes this one has)
Trigun

<50 && >26
Death Note

(list compiled by not an anime freak)

50 episodes:
Eureka Seven
A Cheeky Angel
Higurashi No Naku Kara Ni(this one is wicked)

>50 && <100
Monster
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:30 PM

Tbh, I rarely watch anime anymore because I really don't have the time. Reading Manga is faster and besides, most of the new stuff coming out in Japan these days fall into 2 categories: Cheesecake and Generic Shonen.

This post has been edited by Tarkenfire: 20 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

The only anime that I've ever liked was Ghost in the Shell & Ninja Scroll. The rest is just bleh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'm probably going to be downvoted to hell, but fuck it I'll be honest.

Out of all the people I know personally who watch anime, I can say that at least 80% are socially 'weird'. Whether it's not bathing, or very crass, or gross, or emotionally distant, or awkward to be around. Something is not quite right about them.

Classic example, at my new job, there's this guy that isn't 100%. Something was off about him. He responded coldly to almost everybody, never seems to see other peoples point of view, dresses fucking AWFUL and never bathes. Two weeks ago, I found out he watches Anime.

CLICK. "Ah, that makes sense" was the first thing to pop into my head.

I used to watch anime, but honestly only Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (of which I listen to the soundtrack a LOT during work), when I was younger. Now I just see it and think only wierdos watch that stuff. :/

Personal bias I guess, but so far it's a rule of thumb for me. Anime = weird people. *shrug*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 20 August 2011 - 10:18 PM, said:

Something is not quite right about them.

With all of the 'teenage girl' raping that goes on... yeah, I agree with your assessment. It's very close to cartoons for pedophiles.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

i never did like them all that much. i like HBO type dramas personally. Dexter, Spartacus, Game of Thrones, and the likes. a few decent regular dramas that i liked are house(not anymore, recent season was crap) and lie to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

Can't stand anime. There's no basis for it as an art form (art forms have original styles, not derived ones, among other things, for example, you can look at a Picasso and tell it apart from a Matisse; it's still creative, but if it's actually anime, by definition, it isn't art), there's not a lot I find compelling about it in Japanese (too much 'what if' going on while at the same time too many assumptions about things being the same), much less in English, where the voice acting is typically done by anglophone otaku mouth breathers. Then there's all the goofy dork obsessions with it and all the weird pedophile nonsense contained within it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 20 August 2011 - 07:18 PM, said:

stuff

Eh, despite not being that much of an anime watcher/manga reader myself, I can't agree with that sentiment. There are social rejects and introverts in every fandom. To say that something is a cause or effect of introversion is in the same line of thought as those who would link various forms of music (say rap or metal) to violent shootings.

Anders Brevick played WoW, that resulted in some people jumping to the conclusion that all WoW players that aren't fat introverts are manifesto-carrying pychopaths.

The Columbine shooters listened to some crappy "metal-like" music, I donno, Marylin Manson or something, and the jump was made that the reason they killed a dozen people was because of the music, ignoring the whole "Hitler worship".

Recently, one of the larger gaming publications (forgot which one), ran an article about how Sony managed to get an exclusive contract with the NFL to show games on the PS3. In the article, it was more or less insinuated that all NFL fans are fat shirtless fucks who "suffer" from chronic masturbation.

There are some who think the band Nelson was a major contributor to what will be the fall of western civilization...
Posted Image
...okay they got me on that.

The point remains.

To quote something an art teacher once told me, "If you paint everything with a broad brush, you get finished faster, but you miss all the details that make the painting whole".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »