8 Replies - 918 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Mistakes, and what to do about them

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:47 AM

I thought I would share this here, as it can be a nice reminder to those of us that are new or aspiring to be in this field that mistakes happen and they are not the end of the world. The author discusses ten rules regarding mistakes from a sort of philisophical standpoint. If you have ever read "The Pragmatic Programmer", some of these will sound familiar.

http://www.techrepub...t;siu-container

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 4
  • +

Replies To: Mistakes, and what to do about them

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mistakes, and what to do about them

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

I liked Law #4: Ignorance does not excuse your mistakes and what he has to say for this one. If you make a mistake just own up to it and do what needs to be done to get it fixed and move on and hopefully you learn from it.

There is no sense is dwelling on it.Even though most of the people you work with will want to dwell on it :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:08 AM

I think the idea of owning up to ones mistakes is one part of what truly defines ones character. Some of us are either so egotistic or so cowardly that admitting a mistake is like admitting defeat. It is the person that claims they never screw up that I would keep an eye on. A mistake is far from a defeat, it is just one more step closer to completion. It is also another skill learned, as long as one is willing to accept what has happened. The word "mistake" is no substitute for "lazy".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:16 AM

In theory this is all well and good and I'm 100% behind it. In reality, it does seem like being able to successfully shift the blame to someone else equals problem solved. Admitting mistakes instead of making excuses to make yourself look good equals "Gee, this guy screws up all the time", even though he might make no more mistakes than anyone else.

I guess what I'm saying is that this article neglects to mention that it's not always smart to admit your mistakes. You gotta give some thought to who you're admitting the mistake to and how he'll react.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:13 AM

That is what makes the decision of admitting your mistakes difficult. When your job is on the line, and dealing with an unpredictable employer, it will not always be easy to tell the truth.

Though, if you shift the blame to someone else you have to realize that you might be costing that person their job when it really should be you that was fired. Sure, that benefits you in the short term. It is a slippery slope to start down though, and in my experience people appreciate when one is honest and owns up to their mistakes.

Sure, you might get some hell for it. In the end, it not only shows that you have respect for those you are dealing with but you respect yourself enough to understand that you screwed up. You learn from it, and move on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:43 AM

Blame shifting?!?

Ok, first, never fail to admit a mistake to yourself. You can lie to the entire world about it, if that's your character, but if you lie to yourself you'll just doom yourself to the same future screw up.

Pretend it didn't happen to the world? Yeah, that always works... You fix your own bloody mistakes. You can play up the evil of the other elements involved, if it makes your feel better. You can keep your yap shut if no one else noticed.

Pretending you weren't involved or shifting the blame of a noticed mistake is will not work. Someone will notice. If your in the habit of such behavior, someone will definitely notice. You have it in your power to not be a sleaze ball; use it wisely.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:41 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should blame another person for your mistakes. That's not just morally wrong, but also pretty stupid for obvious reasons. What I'm saying is that sometimes it's smarter to say a 3rd party tool didn't perform as advertised or there were unforeseen side effects.

At the end of the day, if you're the only one who shouts his mistakes from the rooftops, take a wild guess how that makes you look to the management types who are barely in touch with the working force. Take another wild guess who gets laid off if someone has to get laid off.

Yes, your peers are probably going to appreciate your honesty, but that is probably not going to pay the bills. What I'm saying is that there is no need to go out of your way to make yourself look bad.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:06 AM

Ha.. #3 was Monday. Catastrophic event oversight that so far no one has really cared to notice. I figure that shoe will drop Friday... or next Monday.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

Admitting your mistakes is not about going out of your way to make yourself look bad. There is a point where if you are still making the same mistakes over and over, you are either not cut out for that job or you are just careless. I think this article is written for the person who works hard and does well, but is human and makes the occasional mistake.

When one makes a mistake, there are two things you can do as far as I see it. One, fix it on the spot, if possible, and everything is fine. If the problem is a little too big for a quick fix, evaluate the situation and and have some ideas about how to fix it. Don't go to the boss telling him you screwed something up without having some idea of how to fix it. That just makes one look like they don't care.

View Postmodi123_1, on 25 August 2011 - 08:06 AM, said:

Ha.. #3 was Monday. Catastrophic event oversight that so far no one has really cared to notice. I figure that shoe will drop Friday... or next Monday.

Hopefully it all works out, that really sucks though.

This post has been edited by alias120: 26 August 2011 - 04:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1