Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

  • (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6

78 Replies - 12163 Views - Last Post: 22 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

#46 SixOfEleven  Icon User is offline

  • using Caffeine;
  • member icon

Reputation: 945
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,342
  • Joined: 18-October 08

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

This is an XNA challenge only. I will say that you don't have to submit your code. Just the contents of your build directory or a publish of the game will be fine. If you want to submit your code I'm fine with that and will compile it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#47 bonyjoe  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 175
  • View blog
  • Posts: 548
  • Joined: 08-September 10

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

View PostGatalsky, on 26 August 2011 - 08:29 AM, said:

Everybody completely mistakes :smile2: . I just can't use XNA (using netbook) and tried to catch any possibility to compete in this challenge. Keep it simple, guys. :wink:


You will find it much easier to run a 2D XNA project on a netbook than an openGL project. My netbook handles it fine, yet when I tried to create a simple OpenGL window it would have a fit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#48 SixOfEleven  Icon User is offline

  • using Caffeine;
  • member icon

Reputation: 945
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,342
  • Joined: 18-October 08

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

Not all netbooks have graphics cards that handle the shader models needed for XNA. I know that my laptop doesn't support the HiDef profile for XNA 4.0 and it is relatively new.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#49 bonyjoe  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 175
  • View blog
  • Posts: 548
  • Joined: 08-September 10

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 26 August 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

Not all netbooks have graphics cards that handle the shader models needed for XNA. I know that my laptop doesn't support the HiDef profile for XNA 4.0 and it is relatively new.


Yeah but you don't need HiDef to create a simple 2d tower defence game, can't imagine anyone will need HiDef for what they have planned really.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#50 Kilorn  Icon User is offline

  • XNArchitect
  • member icon



Reputation: 1356
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,528
  • Joined: 03-May 10

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a really awesome 3d tower defense game. I'm not sure what sort of camera angle(s) could pull it off without it being too cumbersome, but I believe it could make for an interesting gaming experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#51 Gatalsky  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: 18-August 11

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:06 AM

View Postbonyjoe, on 26 August 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostSixOfEleven, on 26 August 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

Not all netbooks have graphics cards that handle the shader models needed for XNA. I know that my laptop doesn't support the HiDef profile for XNA 4.0 and it is relatively new.


Yeah but you don't need HiDef to create a simple 2d tower defence game, can't imagine anyone will need HiDef for what they have planned really.


On my netbook I can't even make XNA project in Visual Studio. It doesn't support it at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#52 racidon  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 59
  • View blog
  • Posts: 172
  • Joined: 27-August 11

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:25 AM

@kilorn - There is one of the original "Tower Defense" games named: "Defense Grid". It's available on steam for about $5 I think, I purchased it some time ago when looking for a TD style game, as it's one of my favourite genres as a time killer. I would suggest that anyone that's interested in making a 3DTD they use that as an example.

As for the topic, I am hopping to enter this comp, although optimistic (never made a full game using XNA) if I win could we nominate a charity or even choose to put it towards another future competition?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#53 bonyjoe  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 175
  • View blog
  • Posts: 548
  • Joined: 08-September 10

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:43 AM

View Postracidon, on 27 August 2011 - 04:25 AM, said:

@kilorn - There is one of the original "Tower Defense" games named: "Defense Grid". It's available on steam for about $5 I think, I purchased it some time ago when looking for a TD style game, as it's one of my favourite genres as a time killer. I would suggest that anyone that's interested in making a 3DTD they use that as an example.


Yeah it's a pretty cool game, was made by the developers that are helping valve on the new Counter Strike.

Gonna start my entry now, hopefully get a lot done in the long weekend and don't get distracted by tf2 too much :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#54 racidon  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 59
  • View blog
  • Posts: 172
  • Joined: 27-August 11

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

View Postbonyjoe, on 27 August 2011 - 05:43 AM, said:

View Postracidon, on 27 August 2011 - 04:25 AM, said:

@kilorn - There is one of the original "Tower Defense" games named: "Defense Grid". It's available on steam for about $5 I think, I purchased it some time ago when looking for a TD style game, as it's one of my favourite genres as a time killer. I would suggest that anyone that's interested in making a 3DTD they use that as an example.


Yeah it's a pretty cool game, was made by the developers that are helping valve on the new Counter Strike.

Gonna start my entry now, hopefully get a lot done in the long weekend and don't get distracted by tf2 too much :D

I've started already; when SixOfEleven mentioned it on XNA GPA.

If you or anyone is interested in what I've done for the "settings" here is all the current related code.
The XML Handler was written by SixOfEleven and the use of XML was inspired by SixOfEleven, I most likely won't have my end result as XML files as it could be quite a load but for a small game it may not, I wouldn't know, I've only ever handled binary files.
But XML is a good thing to start with as you can guarantee all the values are entered correctly and makes adding or taking fields from an object much faster.

Input Settings Data

Video Settings Data

Audio Settings Data

Settings Manager

Settings Form Code

Settings Form Designer Code

Form Methods

XMLHandler
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#55 SixOfEleven  Icon User is offline

  • using Caffeine;
  • member icon

Reputation: 945
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,342
  • Joined: 18-October 08

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

View PostGatalsky, on 27 August 2011 - 05:06 AM, said:

View Postbonyjoe, on 26 August 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostSixOfEleven, on 26 August 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

Not all netbooks have graphics cards that handle the shader models needed for XNA. I know that my laptop doesn't support the HiDef profile for XNA 4.0 and it is relatively new.


Yeah but you don't need HiDef to create a simple 2d tower defence game, can't imagine anyone will need HiDef for what they have planned really.


On my netbook I can't even make XNA project in Visual Studio. It doesn't support it at all.


I wasn't getting that you needed HiDef for the game just that some portable computers don't have the shader requirements for XNA period. Unfortunately this is an XNA challenge so that will exclude some people from the competition.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#56 SixOfEleven  Icon User is offline

  • using Caffeine;
  • member icon

Reputation: 945
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,342
  • Joined: 18-October 08

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

Any updates on progress? Anybody willing to share a screeshot or two of their secret projects? Some where on my hard drive I have a tower defence game that I started. I'm going to pull it out and post some screenshots of it. I'm going to try and finish it in time for the end of the competition. I of course can't participate in the contest but might get some conversation going on people's games.

*edit*
As promised here are a couple screen shots from my game, Defender of the Crown. They are of the main menu and the game play screen. I never got the art done for the towers so there are place holders for that.

Attached Image

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#57 ShadowsEdge19  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict

Reputation: 142
  • View blog
  • Posts: 664
  • Joined: 16-January 10

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:00 PM

I don't think I can finish in time I'm afraid, I've got so little time now that I've started full time work that I haven't got room for XNA over other more important things.

Mine would have been a cross between a defence game and a shoot-em up as I have a tower with a user controlled gun turret that can shoot enemy units that attack in waves, I can also add my own AI controlled units, smaller turrets, tanks and soldiers. The title is Moon Base V, so it's set in the future on the moon.

Edit: Not sure why but this post didn't update the thread's notification to "new post" on the forum view and still displays SixOfEleven's previous post as the latest. Anyone know why not?

This post has been edited by ShadowsEdge19: 09 September 2011 - 05:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#58 .Aaron  Icon User is online

  • Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock
  • member icon

Reputation: 61
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,862
  • Joined: 04-August 09

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:48 PM

Unfortunately I haven't gotten anything much done myself, as I just now got my computer back in working condition. Lets see.. 4th of next month was it? About the same amount of time as the last contest so I guess I could still get something done, even now. Shame about the lost time though, I had been looking forward to the extra time for play testing and working out bugs. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#59 racidon  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 59
  • View blog
  • Posts: 172
  • Joined: 27-August 11

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:06 AM

Here is mine so far, I restarted yesterday. As I realised the approach I wanted to use had an unrealistic time frame. I was planning on making an RTS style TD. Basically instead of being the defender, you were the attacker, you had a base where you could build spawners (buildings that would spawn monsters each x amount of time) research buildings (to unlock further tech levels) and armories (to upgrade units that come out of spawners). You would then get cash for each "attack phase" plus bonuses for passing goals and getting people through defenses.

But I decided to go with a side scrolling TD, if you've never heard of one of these check out "Plants Vs Zombies"

I included a screenshot of what I've got so far.
I have added a few other things since I've taken this screenshot such as random spawning for monsters.

The following works so far:
Towers shoot with reload time.
Bullets do damage to monsters on collision.
Monsters die when they run out of health.
Monsters can Run/Walk/Attack.
Monsters do damage to towers when they reach them.
Towers turn into Rubble (RU) when they are destroyed.
Bullets are destroyed when colliding with monsters or going off screen.

I took the screen management I created in my previous TD game thus the reason I got such a working example so fast. I'm aiming to put in scoring and life interacting when I'm at TAFE tomorrow.

Hope to see progress of others too :)

Attached image(s)

  • Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#60 Kilorn  Icon User is offline

  • XNArchitect
  • member icon



Reputation: 1356
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,528
  • Joined: 03-May 10

Re: Forth XNA Game Programming Challenge - Tower Defence

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:38 AM

So how are those projects coming? The due date is rapidly approaching and I hope you're all ready to start cleaning things up and getting the project ready in time for submission. It's crunch time and I want to see a lot of awesome Tower Defense games being submitted! Any progress reports?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6