5 Replies - 982 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2011 - 07:10 AM

• Writing Lines

• View blog

Getting a career related to programming - How does it start?

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:56 AM

Hey everyone. I'm 14 and mildly curious about how people get a career to do with programming. How did you all get a career related to programming if you have one? Thanks for reading. :)
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting a career related to programming - How does it start?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Getting a career related to programming - How does it start?

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

Hi,

I've just started with IBM. I've gone down the apprentice route, lots of companies do them and they seem to be a great way to get into it.

I also studied relevant subjects for A-level (I'm from England) and so could have done computer science at university, but several companies I went for apprenticeships with said they actually prefer electronic engineer graduates and apprentices than computer science graduates.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

It varies from country to country. Typically the company looks for some sort of degree or diploma related to programming. Many students graduate with a degree in computer science from university. Others graduate from a technical college where they learn programming specifically with less emphasis on the theory of computer science.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Writing Lines

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:21 AM

Oh cool thanks SixOfEleven and Pietomb00 :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:39 AM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 22 August 2011 - 11:11 PM, said:

It varies from country to country. Typically the company looks for some sort of degree or diploma related to programming. Many students graduate with a degree in computer science from university. Others graduate from a technical college where they learn programming specifically with less emphasis on the theory of computer science.

This holds in general, but it is not always true. Currently I am studying Aerospace Engineering (and holding a great interest in programming and computer science), and got my current job as a developer/programmer in a rather interesting manner. As for my programming courses, I only got an introductory course in JAVA (and they barely touched OOP). After that rather lame course, I picked up C# and started learning by myself.

I started working at the CAD drawing division of the company, as I did not have a programming related degree. However, after a month of working, they signed me up for a pilot program (had to conduct research about a new Autodesk platform). Another month passed by and eventually they transferred me from the drawing division to the developer division, as they saw the potential of the platform and they knew I had a interest for programming (+ as I was the only one who actually knew how to work with it, was also quite an advantage). At this moment, my function is still to develop tools for this platform and make content to fill their data library.

So, as you can see, it is not always necessary to have a degree related to programming, but it is recommend as you will get in easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Writing Lines

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:10 AM

Oh. Good luck with your career man. :) Thanks for the info. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1