3 Replies - 613 Views - Last Post: 26 August 2011 - 06:36 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

First day of college

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

my first day of college was today. yaayyyy

its a rather small community college, but so far i really like it. im taking mostly prerequisite courses at this point but the one computer science related course that i am taking is called intro to computer logic/ programming. it is pretty much a first look into high level programming using a program called Alice. im not familiar with Alice, but it looks kind of "too high level." i dont have a lot of cs experience, but i did take ap cs in highschool. im really just wondering if anyone else has any experience with Alice, and if you think it is very interesting/ a good way to learn computer programming.

thanks for any thoughts.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: First day of college

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: First day of college

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

I've seen and used Alice. I think it's great to introduce middle school kids, maybe high school freshman, to the concepts. I personally think it's a terrible way to introduce programming, especially if you've had prior programming experience. I feel it's too much hand-holding and not enough actual coding at the college level.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:21 AM

My first day in my C++ class my teacher said for us to not get too close to who's sitting around us because more than likely only about 1/4 of them would be left at midways during the semester. To me that's what they should teach at the College Freshman level, just C++ with a little bit of weaning out the ones who can't do it. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:36 AM

Grats on your first day at college! Mine is coming up Monday and I'm very nervous and excited! I'm doing the same thing too...community college and knocking my prereqs out first..good luck to you I hope you become a great programmer!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1