9 Replies - 726 Views - Last Post: 29 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which language to start learning

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hi everyone,

I would like to start learning one of the following languages but confused on which language will be come of most use to me between Python and C++.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which language to start learning

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which language to start learning

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

What do you want to do with them? What's your goal?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

Yes good question, well I don't clearly have answer for that; because I know that with C++ you can program at low levels and be able to produce anything with it, and for python I don't really know much abouy it. My other reasons are, one I am at a point where I like to learn a new language both for experiance and to pass the time.And the.other reason is that latley there have been many job postings in the paper for C++ or Pytjon programmers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

If you want to learn programming language for your own interest, learn clean C++.

If you want to learn programming language for a job of software developer, and you want to be needed for employer, learn something of them: c++, c#, java and cross-platform technologies.

If you want to develop system software, learn c++, its low level posibilities.

But you know, the most important thing in programming - is not ability to write a code, the most important thing in programming is ability to build algorithm.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

Thank you very much for your help, appreciate it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

Exactly like Programmer_С++ said, I too agree that becoming a programmer is virtually nothing to do with writing code in a certain language.

My belief is that to be able to write code in a certain language to a certain degree of skill and precision, you first need a lot of understanding.

Understanding of logic, what you want to achieve and perhaps most importantly, what you're going to use to achieve it. For example, most developers I know of that don't know how to do something will not research the intricacies of how to do it, they will simply go online and find a snippet that does what they want, and perhaps modify it to their liking.

I'm not saying don't do that - In fact, that's the way I used to learn to get my understanding, take some code modify it, but with one extra step - Rebuild it in my own way. Not only have you overcome your initial problem, but you've surely learned something new aswell which is probably going to help you in more ways than one.

Another example is front-end developers and their stupid goddamn jQuery. I have literally seen somebody include the whole jQuery library to do the following: $('#element').hide();

People like that deserve to be stabbed in the face repeatedly.

Anyway to try to stop going off on this tangent even more, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, right now, you shouldn't be worrying about what language to learn - But more importantly on what you want to achieve. Being able to learn multiple languages at a rapid pace will come with time once you have a great understanding of how programs work in general, I can assure you of that.

But you first need to define, clearly, what you want to do. Even if it's just for your first project, define it, find the best tool for the job, learn that tool, pick a language, do it.

Let's say you needed a project to use the .NET Framework, read up on the framework's philosophies and core functionality, then pick a language to play about with snippets. Once you're comfortable with the components you require from the framework, properly learn the language you chose. For example, C++/CLR has some awesome features that stand apart from the .NET Framework.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't realise you'd limited your language choice to C++ / Python. But even so, I say both - Once you have that understanding, it won't be too difficult.

Although, myself coming from a C-style language background, learning Python was a bitch. A very rewarding bitch, however!

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 26 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

Doesn't matter which one you learn first, as long as you keep learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:51 AM

Thanks guys for all the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:10 PM

View PostRudiVisser, on 26 August 2011 - 06:16 PM, said:

Another example is front-end developers and their stupid ... jQuery. I have literally seen somebody include the whole jQuery library to do the following: $('#element').hide();

People like that deserve to be stabbed in the face repeatedly.

Ouch!

I fear that if you had my job you would have killed all my coworkers by now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

View PostKenJackson, on 29 August 2011 - 09:10 PM, said:

Ouch!

I fear that if you had my job you would have killed all my coworkers by now.

Haha, yep, I work with people like that too!

Unfortunately, stabbing is not really condoned in my office, so I just rewrite everything that they've written.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1