4 Replies - 267 Views - Last Post: 28 August 2011 - 04:28 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Locate loggers

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:22 AM

Hello everyone,

I want to create an program who can login on my server by typing username and password.

But now I want to add more security in it and I was wondering if there is any option to locate viruses on their computer who locate viruses like "key loggers" or "screen loggers" who can watch the authentication.

So my program could have to find those viruses on the computer and ask if the user want to stop them.

Should something like this be possible?

Thanks,
Sinned

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Locate loggers

• code > sword
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Locate loggers

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:29 AM

Don't do it.

It's a bad idea to get involved in trying to look at user's machines.

Even more important it's illegal in a few countries to do what you are suggesting. Any program that could do what you are suggesting meets the definition of malware in a lot of legal systems so even if your intentions are good you could end up in court if you try this.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:45 AM

Detecting viruses is not as simple as looking for words.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:56 AM

If it was that simple, companies like Symantec wouldn't be spending hundreds of millions of pounds every year detecting new security threats.

Most businesses with an ounce of sense will probably have already invested heavily in network security; if your users are home/personal users, then they will probably have a personal firewall along with some other anti-malware software installed (and if they haven't, then that's their own risk to take).

What you need to do is secure your own server and your own software. You can make sure that users who log in are restricted to only the permissions that they need, You can also try to write your code to avoid the usual vulnerabilities (overflows/underflows/memory leaks/code injection/etc). i.e. be careful who you give admin accounts to (Preferably nobody!), avoid arrays/pointers, use safe functions and classes, etc. Security is about minimising risk and opportunity for malicious users/programs to compromise your system - you can never remove that risk entirely. If you've taken every reasonable precaution that you can think of, then you're probably already way ahead of many other people/organisations.

There are some security professionals who would even say that the only way to completely secure a computer is to switch it off, unplug all of its cables, drop it into a sealed 6ft cube of concrete and bury it underground in an undisclosed location, and even then they wouldn't be absolutely sure that its 100% guaranteed to be secure.

This post has been edited by Bench: 28 August 2011 - 04:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:28 AM

So the best thing to do is just give some tips in the program which says: "Run an anti-virus program often, to keep your account safe!"?

And try to secure the server the best I can?

This post has been edited by Sinned: 28 August 2011 - 04:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1