6 Replies - 995 Views - Last Post: 29 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Commercial SQL software, need pointer

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

Hi all.
At the office I have a custom SQL software to manage the daily operation of "everything" (to put it mildly).
I have been asked to come up with some software that can be used as a web portal for our clients to retrieve information from the SQL server. I have absoulutely no idea where to start looking for something like this. Google just comes up with garbage I can't use.

This is what I need:
- User interface (username/ password) to manage what information the client can get.
- Output data from existing SQL server (and posibly input)
- Accessable through the web, preferably through a web browser.

Does anyone know of any software capable? It is for comercial use.
(Not for generating clicks, comercials or the likes)

Any reply would be much appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Commercial SQL software, need pointer

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Commercial SQL software, need pointer

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

First thing to look for is if the software you have offers an API through which this data can be accessed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

Well... What size is your organization and by that I mean how many users will be accessing the data though this portal: are we talking 2-3 users, 5-6, 10-20, 100-200, > 1000?

What platform(s) does your current infrastructure support and/or are you purchasing new hardware for the new application?

I like using Liferay as a portal it is an open source Java-based enterprise class portal but there are quite a few vendors in the domain. There are a number of open source solutions that you could look at: alfresco, JBoss, Jetspeed etc. (most CMS systems have a web portal component).

So on the PHP side if you look at CMS systems (its hard to throw a rock without hitting one) there are a number of portal like offerings available.

If you need something lightweight you might look at phython as there are a couple of good offerings there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

@NickDMax
Lot of interesting software. What I'm looking for is for customers to get access to reports (.PDF), and for them to fill inn forms that is directly linked to our SQL server. The amount of users >100 bult less than 1000.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

If you are using SQL Server I am going to guess that you are a windows shop and so you will probably be most comfortable with PHP or ASP/.Net based solutions. Alas this is not my field of expertise.

Are you looking for a vendor or are you hoping to do the implementation in house?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

Both. I'm trying to find some eksamples to present to my boss. And I also am trying to educate myself on what's out there. I guess he will bring in some external help to find the right kind of software, so I need to be prepared for tha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

Well in generality here a corporate webpage has two main systems. The Web CMS which maintains content for the web page, and then the "delivery side" which is usually a portal but may be just a web server with published static HTML. You will probably have some kind of portal software since it sounds like you will be requesting the generation of PDF's files and other integrations with a back-end DB.

The web CMS will generally handle the "web content" such as digital assets (images/media), the text, lables for forms etc. The CMS will also be where things like translation etc. happen. The CMS will "publish" some kind of package to the delivery side. Usually the published material is some kind of HTML-like format, maybe XML, sometimes it is a templates etc. The point it that it publishes whatever the delivery side needs to put the pages together (most CMS systems can really publish to just about any text-based format you need).

The portal or delivery stage is where the pages get put together. The portal works with whatever application platform you are using to do authentication and security. The portal system will put together the final HTML/XML/JSON content going to the end user. It will integrate with any backend systems you need such as your DB.

note: There is no reason why your CMS can not integrate with the backend systems and "publish" PDF files or whatever you need. But this would generally not happen "dynamically" meaning on-demand from an end-user perspective.

So for example I did a site for a financial/investment institution. Much of the "investor data" about various products was generated in the CMS and "published" to the site as PDF brochures. This information did not change very often (once per quarter maybe). So although it was generated content from information in a DB, it was not re-created on-demand but published as the offerings changed.

Other information such as the user's current portfolio information was generated at the delivery state on-demand. So the user could (in theory) hit F5 and refresh for min-by-min updates (not really due to caching).

The delivery stage will also do all personalizations such as displaying the content in the correct language, displaying the correct call outs for this particular user, etc.

You CAN just use a portal/delivery app -- but anyone in the web world will tell you that you "need" a CMS. Maybe "need" is a little strong but it will sure make your life easier. And as I said before most CMS/Portals come in pairs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1