5 Replies - 505 Views - Last Post: 28 August 2011 - 08:42 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

GUI question

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

At some point in time while trying to learn win32 gui in c++, I came across some source code that used a pointer the the video memory. I searched google for some sort of tutorial or explanation, but I didn't find any. I tried it on my own, but all the program would do was generate a segfault, although I may have screwed something up anyway as I have no idea how to do this. Could anyone offer an explanation or at least a link to a tutorial that explains this method of coding a gui? Thanks

This post has been edited by mahkoe: 28 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GUI question

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GUI question

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

In Win32??? I don't think you can really do this in modern win32 programming without working at the driver level. Its definitely something that you should not be doing unless you really know what you are doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

Not IN win32, this is absolutely unrelated to win32 guis. I can see how my post could be confusing though
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

This would be very operating system specific. You would need to be working at the kernel level on any modern operating system. Because the operating systems of today will not generally allow user space programs to actually modify the hardware.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

I see. So you're saying that should I learn this or not, it wouldn't work on OSes after say, windows 381. I see. Okay then, thanks a lot, back to win32
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

View Postmahkoe, on 29 August 2011 - 06:58 AM, said:

At some point in time while trying to learn win32 gui in c++, I came across some source code that used a pointer the the video memory. I searched google for some sort of tutorial or explanation, but I didn't find any. I tried it on my own, but all the program would do was generate a segfault, although I may have screwed something up anyway as I have no idea how to do this. Could anyone offer an explanation or at least a link to a tutorial that explains this method of coding a gui? Thanks

I agree with other programmers above modern Operating System such as Windows 7 would not allow such operations on video memory.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1