2 Replies - 3234 Views - Last Post: 08 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Article on the need for cloud professionals

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

Pretty good article. Lists at the end desired cloud computing certifications. Thought I would share after reading this:

http://management.fo...s/?iid=H_T_News
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Article on the need for cloud professionals

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Article on the need for cloud professionals

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

Interesting read, although I'm a little iffy about the certificates:

ZapThink (I'd never heard of them) - their junior architect certification requirements:
Requirements: Completion of four-day LZA Bootcamp including completion of all the exercises at the Bootcamp. (Cost ~$2000)

The next level (senior ZapThink architect) simply adds on contributing to the ZapThink website.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but sounds like a basic buy-a-certificate service.

CloudSchool.com seems to have actual exams for different certifications, but this seems more like a plug in the article than anything else (plus, just the sound of saying you're "Cloudschool dot com certified" doesn't have the best ring).

The Open Group IT Architect - I saw that The Open Group has dropped the "IT", and it's now just The Open Group Certified Architect (a trend I don't necessarily agree with). Open CA isn't something you just test for, and is actually very rigorous and requires extensive industry work. Something nice to aim for if you've been in the field for a number of years, but isn't just something you can get by taking a test or proving your knowledge.

The others (Cisco, VMWare, and Information Security) all seem appropriate, however. Cloud is hot right now, although the statement near the end of the article: "For instance, moving to the cloud lets you concentrate on creating a better user experience for customers, instead of on the day-to-day nuts and bolts of maintaining the website..." is a bit loaded.

Moving from one technology architecture/paradigm to another will of course require unique and special opportunities to make the system better for customers. But in a year or two when it's established, do you think the company that didn't focus on making the website better for customers will invest on continuing improvement with the cloud services? I wouldn't bet so, and then maybe you'll simply be handling the day-to-day nuts and bolts of maintaining a Cloud once it's setup.

Just some food for thought.

This post has been edited by elgose: 31 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Article on the need for cloud professionals

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

Such a nice post....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +