8 Replies - 651 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

first site would like feedback

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hey guys,

Just wondering if i could get your feedback/comments on my first site:

My site

may add a few more things later on so this is just a work in prgress.

thank you in advance for your comments.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: first site would like feedback

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: first site would like feedback

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

The center tag is deprecated, you need to learn how to use css to center items instead.

You have no real containers for your elements, just scattered pieces about the site with no real formatting.

At this point I would not consider trying to sell work, other than neighbors and other relatives you'll have no real business at your level. This is the level when you need to read everything you can find on professional blogs and other such sites to accumulate knowledge.

Consider yourself in the learning period, the professional period will come far far later. If you have to ask when it is you're doing it wrong, and if you start calling yourself a pro you're also doing it wrong. Your work will speak for itself, and unless you have another established web author or designer classify you as a pro you're not there yet.

I would heavily suggest learning far more about html and css to build a solid working knowledge. You know bare basics, and that's about it at this point. The real work starts from now and is primarily mastering the elements of site creation.

Start here: http://www.blog.bawe...html-the-basics

I've written several tutorials that should get you up to speed with the base level that you need to really design a site at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

When you say 'work in progress' what does that mean? I don't see much of any content so I guess I'll come back later.

A few things:
  • center your toolbar under your logo
  • background image?
  • portfolio is empty
  • centered text reminds me of 1996.. check out some CSS.

When you have an actual site up to critique ping back here so I can check it out again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

Hey guys,

Thank you for your feed back and I will take it all into concideration and as this is my first website I now have a starting point to work on.

Also this is to Lemur I'm not trying to call myself a pro if what I have said in my content on the site makes people think that is what I'm trying to say then i will go over that again and re-write it.

All that i'm trying to do is do a business in graphics rather than web-design and again I'm not saying I'm a pro at that but we all have to start somewhere dont we.

All your other point will be taken in and I will try to implement them into my work.

To Modi I have only just started learning css so I will be learning more as I go on.

My website portfolio is empty yes as this is my first site but my graphic portfolio isn't empty as it's a flash applet which was made in indesign and it has all my work in it.

Also not too sure about having a background image as I was goin for a minimal site but with all the content that i need.

As I said before though the rest of the feedback you gave is very welcome and will be taking it on board.

Thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Odd.. well that applet needs to be redone. I had no idea what was going on. No drawing to indicate flipping a page, or even a page existed on the black background. I just saw text which I took for headers.

Oh, and when you put "here I was just messing with program X and got result Y" that's probably something you want to reword. It throws the first professional impression (aka the portfolio) in a bad light.

Also your "page edges" hot zone is in such a place that it takes about half of your left most and right most images up. This makes direct navigating to them hard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

Ok cheers modi will sort that out just wondering by when you said about rewording should I take it out completely and just give each item a title would that be just a bit more profesional
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

Ah.. what? Sans punctuation that can be read about six different ways.

What I was trying to get across was a portfolio is professional, right? Something people will first see when you show them your work. Having it crammed with crap that says "Oh, I was dorking around BAM! I made X!" is not overly professional; it is more of a "gallery" thing. So remove the text or re-write it.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 30 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

Professionalism should always be a goal, otherwise why do it? If you're not in it to win then you've really never been in anything. With no desire you'll have no success, that's the bottom line.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

Ok cheers to the pair of you, you have been such a great help and everything you have said will be noted and implimented into my work.

This post has been edited by 25164963: 30 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1