• +
  • Last »

55 Replies - 1846 Views - Last Post: 07 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

The Bloom Box

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

The Most Remarkable Thing I've ever seen. We should all apply our minds to this and I wish they would hire me:

Bloom Energy

It's hugely secret..or was, the guy that invented it worked for NASA and it works. Every home will have a fuel cell like this. It might be the power company that buys it and we may rent it but hell, its clean and can run off natural gas. Hell it'll run off gas from landfills.

Posted Image

64 block fuel a house. Tiny little blocks. A cell that WORKS. Their first customer was:

Posted Image

and guess who else says they've saved thousands of dollars because they are off the grid with parts of their campus. This is their front lawn:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now for the Magic:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The guy that funded Google and Netscape has funded the man behind the project. I'm telling you this is the future. If I'm right about anything in my life I bet its this. It's officially called an "Energy Server".

Wiki

It's SO AWESOME. I may see the end of the "grid" in my lifetime. SO F'ing cool :) I'm happy tonight!

Anyone want to bet I'm right?

This post has been edited by absynthe: 31 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The Bloom Box

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The Bloom Box

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

Key words are Power Companies.. I am sure they will buy out the patent so nobody can sell them to homeowners for cheap as possible
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

Oil and coal are probably cheaper, therefore the larger power conglomerates aren't gonna invest in whatever this may be until they run out of coal and oil.

Even if it is cheaper in terms of cost(their site is very vague in pricing), the oil/coal companies won't let the power conglomerates change over and the conglomerates themselves might see benefit in keeping the older combustion systems rather than some cable-company-like system box-rental.

It's a cool concept though.

This post has been edited by Tarkenfire: 30 August 2011 - 07:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

this gives me a boner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

If I were a multi-billion dollar company with something to lose to a cheap alternative... Really it's simple to guess what happens.

They have far more than enough capital to ensure that they acquire this and keep themselves relevant and profitable, though wouldn't you know it, it only works on their special gasses.

Common business sense, new guy comes into town with something valuable you buy it off him before someone else gets to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

View Postabsynthe, on 30 August 2011 - 09:58 PM, said:

The Most Remarkable Thing I've ever seen.

Posted Image

View Postsupersloth, on 30 August 2011 - 11:28 PM, said:

this gives me a boner.

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

Am I the only one who thought this would be about overusing the Bloom lighting effect in games?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:04 PM

Not sure what that is, can you share?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:39 AM

Posted Image

This.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:51 AM

If it doesn't blind you, how do you know it's working?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:55 AM

According to the San Jose Mercury News, "Bloom's secret technology apparently lies in the proprietary green ink that acts as the anode and the black ink that acts as the cathode--" but in fact these materials are widely known in the field of solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs). Wired reports that the secret ingredient may be yttria-stabilized zirconia based upon a 2006 patent filing (7,572,530) that was granted to Bloom in 2009; but this material is also one of the most common electrolyte materials in the field.

US US20080261099, which is assigned to Bloom Energy Corporation, says that the "electrolyte includes yttria stabilized zirconia and a scandia stabilized zirconia, such as a scandia ceria stabilized zirconia". ScSZ has a higher conductivity than YSZ at lower temperatures which provides greater efficiency and higher reliability when used as an electrolyte in SOFC applications.

Scandia is scandium oxide (Sc3O2) which is a transition metal oxide that is sold between US$1400 to US$2000 per kilogram in 99.9% form. Current annual world wide production of scandium is less than 2000 kilogram. Most of the 5000 kilogram used annually is sourced from limited former Soviet era stockpiles.

:( It's like Spiderman 2's tritium. Very hard to find.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:46 AM

A few bits of information:

The fuel cell stacks are housed in a refrigerator-sized unit – the Bloom Box. Oxygen is drawn into one side of the unit, and fuel (fossil-fuel, bio-fuel, or even solar power can be used) is fed into the other side. The two combine within the cell and produce a chemical reaction that creates energy with no burning, no combustion, and no power lines.
cite1

About 64 stacks of fuel cells could power a small business like a Starbucks franchise, according to Sridhar’s 60 Minutes interview.
cite1

Working with an investment of around $400 million, aerospace engineer K.R. Sridhar spent close to a decade inventing the Bloom Box. It grew, he explained to 60 Minutes, from a device he originally invented to produce oxygen on Mars. When NASA scrapped the Mars mission, Sridhar reversed his Mars machine, pumping oxygen in, instead of making oxygen, he said.
cite1

Ebay installed five Bloom Boxes nine months ago, and they fuel about 15 percent of its San Jose campus,
cite1

Sridhar explained, for example, how the device creates energy. "It mixes with water, which is a byproduct of our exhaust. Water and methane goes into the system and within the system the methane and the water react," he said.

Sridhar continued. "And you get what is called a syngas right on the surface of our fuel cell and oxygen comes from the air side of the fuel cell and mixes with CO [carbon monoxide] of the syngas to form carbon dioxide and oxygen comes across the membrane again from the air side, mixes with the H2 [hydrogen] in the syngas to form water, and both of those reactions are accompanied by electrons flowing on the outside and that's the basic reaction," he said.
cite2

The cost is 9 to 10 cents a kilowatt hour, which includes maintenance, installation, natural gas.
cite2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:53 AM

I wonder how that compares with standard energy cost? Thanks for that!

The boner was a result of my return :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

dat myspace pics :pimp: Are they from spring break?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:15 AM

I'd like to point out in the citations modi listed this line is used:

... Oxygen is drawn into one side of the unit, and fuel (fossil-fuel, bio-fuel, or even solar power can be used) is fed into the other side...

'Solar power' is not a fuel, and I think this article is a mis-quoting the founder of Bloom Box, Sridhar:

"Our system can use fossil fuels like natural gas. Our system can use renewable fuels like landfill gas, bio-gas, we can use solar."

cite: http://www.csmonitor...inutes-left-out

Which I believe is actually a reference back at the 'bio-gas', as that is technically a solar energy because it's using the energy plants had created from the sun, which is then turned into bio-gas (comes from the decomposition of plant matter).

I personally find it rather dishonest to use such language... technically coal is solar energy by that same assessment (comes from ancient plant fossils).

If renewable gas energy production was ramped up (like tapping our landfills which I know my dump just burns regularly, it smells bad...) maybe then it could become a bit more reliable. But I don't know the numbers of how much could be created and if that could actually supply a fully installed user-base. (Hrmm, I can hear my girlfriend now telling me to place my farts in the generator and not under the sheets)

If we're stuck using a fossil-fuel like natural-gas, well, I don't see this as the energy of the future, and more instead as the hold over power generator we use in between our oil/coal dependency and our true energy freedom. (if that energy freedom actually exists... less Mad Max haunt the highways of Australia)

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 31 August 2011 - 07:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »