8 Replies - 996 Views - Last Post: 01 September 2011 - 05:00 PM

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

The Ideal Freedom/Restriction Of Internet Access For Developers

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

What is your idea of a perfect access to the internet for developers? In the current scheme of things I'm in now, Sourceforge is blocked, hence making me unable to download .py to .exe programs.

- What should the limitations be? Or should there be no limitations?
- Are email(GMail,YMail,Hotmail) time wasters enough to justify being unauthorized sites?
- Specific sites you think should always be left open to developers?
- Should we rely on Tech Support for installation/download of programs needed? What if said Tech Support will only install programs that are on a list approved by a certain committee?
- How much is too much internet access while in the workplace?
- Is using development help sites good for development?
- Should we be allowed Social Media Sites?(lol)

I know of a company where you need to fill out a form, then have it approved before you can browse a certain site. Time consuming, don't you think? Or do you have something else in mind? ^^

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: The Ideal Freedom/Restriction Of Internet Access For Developers

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: The Ideal Freedom/Restriction Of Internet Access For Developers

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

I've worked at an insurance company in claims where many (most) websites were blocked, and our call + on-screen activity was randomly recorded at least 1 in 6 calls, so no personal browsing was allowed and it could be checked. Also, we couldn't install anything. I think this was appropriate for the job, since a call center is typically fast paced, mostly of the transaction nature and customer service demands customer focus.

Now, I work as a coop at an IT company. No websites are blocked, and our company issued laptops are free to be used for personal things as well (aka we can install anything legal) - I often will see people checking Facebook and the like throughout the day. I don't really do anything personal during work hours, but if something is urgent I have the flexibility to handle it. Also, if I'm stuck and trying to google an answer to a work problem, I won't have a "Site Restricted" wall blocking my solution.

It works out because if I get tempted to the dark side and browse all day, I get a free lunch for a couple weeks... but once they see I stopped producing work, well, it'd be back to being an unemployed full-time student.

I saw something on slashdot the other day referencing a study where a group that could browse the web while at work had a greater output than those that didn't [Edit: Slashdot link talking about a WSJ article]. Especially with jobs that require creative problem solving skills, you might just need a 10 minute brain relaxing/resetting activity (for me that's DIC) to come back and get past a road block.

Plus, if you're a mature worker then you should be able to manage your time and stay on task. Afterall, nobody's restricting my web access when I should be doing homework, you'd hope I can maintain the same discipline at work. I realize some opinions will differ greatly from this.

This post has been edited by elgose: 31 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:23 PM

Plus, if you're a mature worker then you should be able to manage your time and stay on task.

I like this, though not all workers are mature. The link you've provided is very interesting! Though I wonder if the higher ups would agree. By the way browsing for the whole day = free lunch? How does that happen?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 31 August 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

I like this, though not all workers are mature. The link you've provided is very interesting! Though I wonder if the higher ups would agree.

Depends on the job. If I hired you for a job that requires a mature worker, yet you can't produce what I need because you haven't learned how to deal with the internet being there and controlling your ADD - then I can only hope I notice your lack of output to get rid of you (sometimes this takes a LONG time to notice, I've found).

On the flip side, if the nature of the job or type of work available are directed towards availability and control (as was the case while I was in insurance), then hell yeah there should be restrictions.

The best solution is probably somewhere in the middle adjusted for your work environment and employee population.

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 31 August 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

By the way browsing for the whole day = free lunch? How does that happen?

There's an expression in English: "There's no such thing as a free lunch." Basically, this means you can't get the benefits of something without paying/working for it. Playing off this, I was saying you actually CAN get a "free lunch" (aka getting paid a salary without actually working), but only for a short period when you potentially get fired.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

Now I get it, pardon me for being slow. I am very lucky that in DIC we have forums other than programming related so I can take off some steam, but still I can't understand why sourceforge is banned here. I mean, it contains most of the programs for development, it should be a resource available for all developers. Sure, a company might be upholding standards but I think it would slow down the technological evolution/growth of the institution. If there's a tool out there that could potentially help and all that stands between you and that tool are the words "Access Is Denied", it sucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:05 PM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 31 August 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

...I can't understand why sourceforge is banned here. I mean, it contains most of the programs for development, it should be a resource available for all developers...

It might also be to prevent the company from getting in a sticky mess. People at my organization are encouraged (although not required) to take an online class on the types of open source licenses, and the limitations a corporation has on using some tools. It's interesting when something that's 100% OK to use as an individual user is very restricted regarding profitable work.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

Interesting, so "personal use" is not equal to "open source" or it could have both those tags but shouldn't be used by an organization?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:48 AM

Personal use is for your own use, irregardless if it is open source.

One obvious issue is if you incorporate something open source in your business software, make a modification and distribute your software (aka sell your product). Most of the time, the license requires you to release the changes you've made back to the open source community. This isn't always something a business is wanting to do.

There's people on the forums who know more about this stuff, they can probably give better examples highlighting some 'issues'. Remember, open source doesn't necessarily mean you can take the code and use it however you want, there are limitations in the license.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:00 PM

I don't even think of selling software, I want to create programs just for fun and the challenge! So what if I use it on a system I'm creating for the company?

Whew I never thought software use is this complicated. I only knew three distinctions before, commercial, open source, and shareware.

Is GitHub a valuable tool for development? And would the company benefit from it? Is it a time waster if a developer only uploads codes of testing small processes? I heard it was a social site too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1