8 Replies - 934 Views - Last Post: 01 September 2011 - 02:51 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

University - Final Project

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:21 AM

Hello!

For my final year project in my university i have to choose between a Card Game or a Seat Booking System.

The programing language for the Card Game is up to me but for the Booking System must contain/have JSP/ASP/php/XSQL + a database.

Which one do you think will be more easier (with regard to the finding of books/tutorials/forum help) to do and manage to complete?

Both projects must be on/built in a server !

Thank you!

In no case i'm asking for you to do my project. Just asking for an opinion!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: University - Final Project

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: University - Final Project

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:37 AM

Well considering both need to be server based, the complexity between a card game or a seat reservation system would be almost identical. Heck, the code will end up being almost identical. By JSP/ASP/PHP, you mean either/or right? Can you use ASP.NET, or does it actually have to be archaic JSP or ASP markup.

If it was me, I would stay clear of JSP ( you will spend more time sorting between different technologies to use and configuring your servers, a hundred and ninty different XML files, etc. That a University promotes PHP, well, that almost blows my mind! :) Of course, this is all just opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

As for the booking system here is the description:

"Cinema seat booking system
(Type of project: Dynamic web site development - JSP/ASP/php/XSQL + a database)
A system is required to allow cinemas customers to pre-book seats on-line for a forthcoming performance.
The system could be a simple 1 screen cinema OR
as complex as the one developed for the Odeon chain"

It can be also for a Gig show or a Theater.

Right now the proposer of the project is on vocations so i don't really know what he mean by that:
JSP/ASP/php/XSQL + a database
The only sure is that must have a database!

For the card game what language is more appropriate?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

Any or all really. PHP, ASP and JSP are all pretty similar technologies in a sense and your end code will actually be remarkably similar. All three have a solid ecosystem and a ton of learning materials available. I think you will find JSP the most difficult to learn and PHP probably has the most support, but is the language I personally like the least.

Then again, there is a MASSIVE difference between ASP and ASP.net, so I would really want to clarify that one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

I sent him again an email for more information.
If i have more details soon i'll let you know!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

Your work ethic for your final university project should certainly not be do what's easiest, how about doing the one you think would lead to the most innovation?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

View Postbonyjoe, on 01 September 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

Your work ethic for your final university project should certainly not be do what's easiest, how about doing the one you think would lead to the most innovation?

I don't think that it has to do about innovation.
Professors gave us a list full of projects (50+) and we had to choose one from it.
Some of them was only research and the rest was programming projects.
I found these 2 projects (card game and booking system) interesting.
At the end of the university year (around May) we have to demonstrate our project into a group of professors (including the proposer)

The description given in the list for each project is just the general idea of the project. If you like it and choose it, then you must contact the proposer to discuss it further.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

Choose the one that interests you the most because you are gonna be working your ass off so you might as well make it something you partially enjoy doing. In my personal opinion I would find the card game a lot more interesting and with a lot more scope for your own input.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

I found both projects interesting thats why I'm between those two...

The problem is that 99% i will use JAVA to program the card game and me and JAVA we are not good friends...
Last year was only Java programming. In little projects i was good (4/5) but in big projects (create a quiz game and modify/add features to a given game (jetman)) i suck (2/5). If I don't use java probable i will use C++ (while i was searching the internet i saw that a few people was asking help too in different card games that they were programming in C++)

In Booking System now, after doing my "research", i found out that almost everyone use PHP (and few of them also use AJAX -so when you click a seat that you want to book, to see the seat changing color without refreshing the page- that's what i understood!).

Both PHP and C++ are completely new to me... :s

After my "research" i realize that booking system it's a huge project compared to the card game, but i believe it will be a little bit easier to implement (without knowing how PHP works!)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1