10 Replies - 1161 Views - Last Post: 06 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Would Any of You Vouch For Me?

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hey guys. In about 4 days I'll be setting my foot into high school. It's quite a scary thing, but that's being a freshman ^_^. The reason I'm posting this topic, is that a few days ago I was creating my schedule and I asked my counselor if I can take computer programming. Computer programming, at my school, is a 10th grade and higher class. She told me that I would have to talk to the computer programming teacher, who is also my web design teacher. I'm going to ask him about it, but the thing is, what if he needs proof I can program? One thing I want to do if he asks me is show him my profile on DIC and see if any of you would vouch for me. I also want to show him my website and my Lithium, GitHub repository. I'm actually assuming that most people that take the class have no programming knowledge and you only learn the basics in it. VB.net is taught in the class also, which was the first language I started learning when I was 12. I'm sorry if this is like a pointless topic. I'm really just looking for advice and if anyone would like to vouch for me. Thank you for your time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Would Any of You Vouch For Me?

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Would Any of You Vouch For Me?

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

when I was a freshman, I took AP Computer Science. Even then, you can only take CS 1 as a Sophomore and AP was only 11 and 12 grades. However, an 8th grader and I both took the course and beasted it. What we did was just make a small portfolio and just asked to be in the class. He didn't even really look at our portfolio - he just wanted to make sure that we were serious that we knew it.

That's my experience. I hope it's as easy for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

I hope it's that easy for me. Our computer sciences classes here don't really get to advance. lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

I vouch for Terry.... After spending many times in Irc and on twitter. He is not only a talented and intelligent individual. He is a born programmer, he has the logic of the mind and a lot of potential. He projects are ambitious and interesting.

So I would say let him in the class, and let him excel :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

lol :blush:. Thanks Scott. Maybe I'll save this thread for college and my (future) employer also XP

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 03 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

I can image you heading into an interview listing a Scott from DIC as a reference. Quite comical. It ends with you yelling "Give me all of the GeeBees!!!!".

(GeeBees as in GB)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

Nah. lol. I talked to him about it, he said that a prerequisite for that class is Algebra 1. Good thing I took Algebra 1 in 8th grade. I'm going to talk to my counselor tomorrow.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

One quick way in.... have the teacher write a function and let you explain to them what each line does. Even if you don't know what the entire function actually does, you should be able to tell them that i++ is a variable "i" which is incremented by 1. Or that a function bubbleSort(int[] a) is a function called bubbleSort which takes an array of integers "as a parameter". Things like that.

This would show them that you know basic concepts, terminology and can read code.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, that's something I could do perfectly well even though I'm a PHP programmer. The thing is that most of these people going into these classes have no prior experience. For example, I'm the only freshmen in our web design class. I'm also the only one of three in there that's done web design. Also, since my web design teacher hasn't done web design in about ten years (he's refreshed over the summer.) He wants me to assist him and help explain to him new things. He also wants to use videos to help teach. I told him he can use some of mine. I have one on the importance of CSS resets, etc. on my YouTube channel. I could even have showed him my GIT repository on a CMS I was making. He didn't ask for anything though other than that I have done Algebra 1, which I think is cool. Who knows, if I can switch to the class, I could probably help him with it :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

The issue will be mostly school politics...

As you stated yourself, the class is probably for beginners so really any vouching we could do for you would prove you're ahead of the class.

I think showing him your GitHub repository alone will be enough to prove you're serious about joining the class.

From there, it's politics. Does he like you, what hoops will he have to jump through to get you in the class, and is he willing to jump those hoops for your benefit. I would suggest do not take the haughty and prideful route of "if I can switch to the class, I could probably help him with it" approach, it's rude to act like a know-it-all (this doesn't mean you can't help, just be humble, sorry I say this because your post came off less than humble). A teacher wants to teach you, if you act like he has nothing to offer you then what's the point for the teacher? If he wanted an assistant, then you should go after that position... but that's even more school politics, and I'd suggest having them as a teacher first, form a relationship with them.

Hopefully the guy is cool and gets you in. Maybe you could get into AP courses by sophomore year.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 06 September 2011 - 07:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way. I've been planning on doing this class since 8th grade with no intention of assisting him with the class, but see what I can learn from it. He told me today that he wants me to help him here and there with the class for there are somethings he needs to catch up on and might need help explaining. He actually doesn't have to do anything to get me in the class. All I needed was his permission and I can go to the counselor and switch my classes around, that may put stress upon the counselor though. The thing is that I meet the requirements to take this class, even though I'm a freshmen. He stated that the reason that it's a 10th grade class is that it requires that you've taken Algebra. I took Algebra in 8th grade, and did quite well for most of the year. About half way through 8th grade I moved, then moved again, and moved again. This greatly disrupted my cycle of learning. All the different schools were teaching stuff I learned at the beginning of the year at my other school, basically doing everything in a different order. Due to that, I didn't pass the final exam. I'm not really sure if he likes me, I was only in his web design class for about 30 minutes (half day). Thanks guys for all your feedback :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1