4 Replies - 783 Views - Last Post: 06 September 2011 - 05:19 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

DIC OS

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:48 AM

I was thinking about this while doing a project for college and I can't recall seeing this before. What about an open source DIC project?

Like a DIC operating system, an IDE etc.

I thought it would be something different to have for DIC. There are many experienced coders here and more so noobs. With the experienced coders setting the foundation, it could lead to some excitement or involvement from those just getting started or from those who've wanted to participate in an open source project.

I think this community can pull in and create something quite interesting.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: DIC OS

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: DIC OS

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:56 AM

Many projects here have gained interest and subsequently lost it around 6 months later.

Perhaps if it was something unique then it would gain traction and I'm sure many many people would be interested, but eventually interest would die down again if it really wasn't that unique.

This is a great idea and I'm pretty sure it would be fun to participate in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:00 AM

an OS is quite the handful to code, so I doubt we get enough coding power (over the time). an IDE might be a good idea if it is more like a skin (why not using the de-facto standards Eclipse & Netbeans and make some kind of add-on for better useability).

something like a CS course (various topics like application programming, web programming, etc.) based on the tutorials and discussions could be interesting, compareable to an Extramural.

I would also deem useful a DIC standalone application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:15 AM

We had a topic going for a little while (under C/C++) that some considered an OS, but it was really nothing than a glorified boot loader that took a few commands.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:19 AM

View PostRudiVisser, on 06 September 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

Many projects here have gained interest and subsequently lost it around 6 months later.

Perhaps if it was something unique then it would gain traction and I'm sure many many people would be interested, but eventually interest would die down again if it really wasn't that unique.

True, it's inevitable that, that could happen. But I think that if it's done right and sparks interest, great things could come of it. I doubt any other online programming forum has something like this. Could give DIC even more of an edge.

View PostDormilich, on 06 September 2011 - 11:00 AM, said:

an OS is quite the handful to code, so I doubt we get enough coding power (over the time). an IDE might be a good idea if it is more like a skin (why not using the de-facto standards Eclipse & Netbeans and make some kind of add-on for better useability).

I would also deem useful a DIC standalone application.

I was a bit skeptical on the OS idea, I'll admit. Could leave it as a distant ambition lol. The skin idea for Eclipse or Netbeans is cool. I just think if in the future, something like this happens, we should go BIG or go home.

View Postno2pencil, on 06 September 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

We had a topic going for a little while (under C/C++) that some considered an OS, but it was really nothing than a glorified boot loader that took a few commands.

That's a start. Even though it doesn't sound all too great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1