Good bye

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 947 Views - Last Post: 07 September 2011 - 08:59 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Good bye

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

Just thought I would say good bye. I am leaving the forums for a while. I am sick of the negative attitudes and to be honest, the reputation system is a disadvantage to most new programmers because the older accounts seem to want to do nothing more than give negative reputation to newer programmers. What good does it do? Instead the programmer should be polite and point out the issues and make suggestions, not jump all over the new programmer and tell them how wrong they are for asking for help. Maybe if/when things change here I will come back, maybe things never will... Anyway, best of luck to all those needing help - you will need it here.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Good bye

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Good bye

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

POPULAR

kthxbai

The only abuse I have ever seen in regards to the reputation system is when people come to these forums wanting you to write their code and they aren't satisfied with the help you give.

I have always received help when I asked for it, maybe it is the way these people are asking for it. "Give me teh codes" is not an appropriate to ask for homework help, and if someone is being rude, then tell a mod/admin and they will correct the problem.

This is a place to get help with programming questions, not a code writing service.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 07 September 2011 - 07:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:36 AM

POPULAR

I seem to be at a loss as to exactly what the problem is. If there is a case of abuse of the reputation system, or another problem, shoot me a PM. I want to handle this.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

POPULAR

View Postgryphin, on 07 September 2011 - 11:30 AM, said:

Just thought I would say good bye. I am leaving the forums for a while. I am sick of the negative attitudes and to be honest, the reputation system is a disadvantage to most new programmers because the older accounts seem to want to do nothing more than give negative reputation to newer programmers. What good does it do? Instead the programmer should be polite and point out the issues and make suggestions, not jump all over the new programmer and tell them how wrong they are for asking for help. Maybe if/when things change here I will come back, maybe things never will... Anyway, best of luck to all those needing help - you will need it here.

What forum were you mainly participating in? Over at the C# area we love helping newbies. It let's us practice what we already know. :pimp:
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

POPULAR

If the OP wants to see a self fulfilling prophecy for negative commentary - posting a self aggrandizing "dear john" letter to the lounge is a good way of doing that.
Was This Post Helpful? 11
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

POPULAR

Being totally at a loss as to what you're on about, I figured I'd find where you'd had such negative experiences.

Hmmm... from here

View Postgryphin, on 10 August 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

Now, why dont you learn to read? ... I am not looking for an idiot to argue with.

And frankly, I do not care what you believe or do not believe.

... So next time ask for clarification instead of acting like an idiot.

Right... Sorry, I'm afraid you're not going to get the sympathy vote.
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Way off base here bro. I can think of four people off the top of my head that help anyone and everyone who asks for it. I mostly peruse the VB.NET forums, but I can't imagine its much different anywhere else on DIC.

Maybe its time for some introspection and personal responsibility.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:46 AM

POPULAR

I thought I'd take a little time and look around your topics/posts to see where exactly you had been wronged and abused by people with more time here.

Here's what I found: Out of 8 reputation points received, 3 were negative.

Attached Image
Dude, learn to relax. I might get that on a single post because I am very honest and blunt with people and they often just want to be hand-held through life. Two of the three negative posts were because you flew off the handle and were completely rude with those trying to help you. In your good-bye post here you said:

Instead the programmer should be polite and point out the issues and make suggestions, not jump all over the new programmer

Yet you don't seem to feel you need to be polite to those helping you.

View Postgryphin, on 10 August 2011 - 09:20 AM, said:

Now, why dont you learn to read? I said "I want HELP in TRANSLATING code that I already had in C#. Where does it say "I want someone to recode it for me? If you are here simply to argue, please stop posting on my questions and feel free to stop trying to help me. I am not looking for an idiot to argue with.

And frankly, I do not care what you believe or do not believe.

And instead of picking up on the piece by piece, why not reference the line just before it - HELP TRANSLATING. The piece by piece is that I wanted to do it in sections with someone, so I can learn the most without having to see someone else do it for me. I want someone to help by pointing out items to go over, not do it for me. So next time ask for clarification instead of acting like an idiot.

That is just a stunning example of hypocrisy.

The third negative point you received (on this thread) was basically because you didn't seem to want to open a book and learn from the beginning like millions of other coders. You expected the several people on that thread to become your private tutors and spoon feed you explanations.

I would appreciate any help from someone willing to describe this in normal english so I can understand it. I am not a programmer and have only been self teaching myself VB for a couple days now.

Let me point that what Nykc said is true. Most abuse of -1 rep'ing someone comes from newbies who are upset that they are guided to actually read a self-teaching book from cover to cover and do the tutorials before they even consider building an application of their own design. Or they are upset that we won't do their homework. Or we won't write their for-contract app for them after they realize they lack the skills. We see it here all the time. Some people just feel the need to lash out. There isn't much that can be done. Here's a perfect example right here in this thread. For whatever reason Mossypne decided they needed to -1 macosxnerd101 for his offer to investigate whatever abuse you were describing. Why would they do that? It makes no sense. They weren't even participating in this thread. Some people just aren't happy unless they are hurting others I guess.

Attached Image
Attached Image
And guess what... Mossypne isn't one of these long-timers who only want to ruin the rep of new coders that you describe. My suggestion is to stop taking everything so personally. This is the internet. Nobody here knows you. You are nothing more than a bunch of photons on an LCD. Nobody knows if you are 10 or 70, black or white, skilled or not... This is the great equalizer. You are treated precisely according to how you present yourself because what you type here is all anyone knows of you. There are no pre-conceived ideas, no racial prejudice, no economic considerations. Words on a screen are all equal. Accept that some people do things you can't explain in the real world and in cyber. Then realize it doesn't affect the money in your wallet or family life or your reputation at work. Its all virtual. Attitude is a choice.

So if you are leaving because you really think the experienced people are abusing you and other newbies I would ask you to reconsider. Honestly you haven't been here long enough, or participated enough to get any kind of honest feel for the site or its members.

If you are leaving because you want to jump into coding your own programs before taking the time to actually learn a programming language... Then I think you should reconsider what 'help' means. There are hundreds of tutorials on this site, representing tens of thousands of man-hours. All dedicated to helping new programmers. But it is evident in your topic questions that you haven't made use of them. It is obvious to those with experience that you don't want to have to learn the basics and the concepts. You want to start making a program, and have someone show you step by step what you need to do to make that one program. In other words you want people to be your private tutors and pre-build your application, then explain it to you. That's just not realistic.

The fact that you want to jump in with both feet and start coding is great. It shows you are interested and motivated. I would urge you to direct that motivation into learning. You need to pick up a couple books and work them start to finish. Do some on-line tutorials. I have a long list of such things I will send you in PM so you can work your way through them.
Was This Post Helpful? 26
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

Its just like in real life. There are dicks and there are nice people. Deal with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

See Thy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:59 AM

POPULAR

SEE YA LATER.

Posted Image

p.s. nobody cares. you aren't important enough to warrant a thread. sorry for taking a shit on your self importance. also, sorry for saying i am sorry because i really am not sorry.
Was This Post Helpful? 11
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1