10 Replies - 1321 Views - Last Post: 14 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

How to get ideas?

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

The question is to simple: Where do you get your ideas? (Web/Software)
I already seen many threads giving a list of things to do, but this is to damn easy/non-stimulant. I always stuck finding one idea to develop..but when I have one, it is useful, such for me such for other people.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to get ideas?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to get ideas?

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

Look at where you see a problem or inefficiency and think about how you can streamline it with software. That's the birthplace for most software, and technological advances in general.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 07 September 2011 - 10:09 AM, said:

Look at where you see a problem or inefficiency and think about how you can streamline it with software. That's the birthplace for most software, and technological advances in general.

That's true, and I already do that. But when I start search about that, it's already done and I don't like at all of copy. I would like to do something in web (my first website) but with use for people. Something you could arrive to my website and feel isn't one more website, is something different, and I know how difficult this is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

Find something you repeat and automate it.

Example:
http://www.dreaminco...app-youve-made/

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 07 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

If you can't think of a new and different thing to make, find something that you think would be interesting to do and do it, even if it's been done before. Or just write something, anything, that you haven't written before. You'll learn something, it'll be interesting to make, and you'll understand the design decisions other people have made.
Plenty of authors write stuff just to see how it's done, plenty of cooks cook things that they didn't invent, just to try stuff, painters do still-life work and so forth. This is all just to get the mind used to creating: it's not just practice, it keeps the mind working.

Or just learn a new language. Anything to get your mind working on things: momentum is what you need.

If you can't think of any programs that would be interesting to write, go read a book or something. Sometimes you just don't have any ideas.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

This question again? Does nobody search around?

See FAQ #26

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated Aug 2011

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

Your first web site doesn't need to be original. Find a type of site that is within your knowledge to create and reproduce it. In the beginning it is all about practice. You can also improve upon sites and make them better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 07 September 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

If you can't think of a new and different thing to make, find something that you think would be interesting to do and do it, even if it's been done before. Or just write something, anything, that you haven't written before. You'll learn something, it'll be interesting to make, and you'll understand the design decisions other people have made.
Plenty of authors write stuff just to see how it's done, plenty of cooks cook things that they didn't invent, just to try stuff, painters do still-life work and so forth. This is all just to get the mind used to creating: it's not just practice, it keeps the mind working.

What you tell, it's totaly right! My mind is totally stagnant, probably because I don't do anything (work/school). When I was in school it was very easy to get ideas, because I was always exchanging ideas with teachers, schoolmates, etc.
I would like to start a project in web because it will be my first time (without any compromise) and it will be great.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 07 September 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

If you can't think of any programs that would be interesting to write, go read a book or something. Sometimes you just don't have any ideas.

I never read a book. Ok, if the book talks about programming it will be interesting, but even in that way it makes me bored.

View PostGavisann, on 07 September 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

Your first web site doesn't need to be original. Find a type of site that is within your knowledge to create and reproduce it. In the beginning it is all about practice. You can also improve upon sites and make them better.

When I think in what you tell, it's like: "Ok, I'll do a website, it will have this and this..but, who's going to use it?" So if ain't nobody going to use it, doesn't make sense..or does?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

Why not make a website you will use?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 September 2011 - 11:49 AM, said:

Why not make a website you will use?

That's what I've been doing in software. I developed in the past months some softwares, and all with an specific daily use for me. However, I released it to all people too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

How to get ideas is in the ‘how to invent’ class of problems. This is a common problem for professionals in the arts and sciences. It can be broken down into two basic parts: 1) identify a problem and 2) identify a strategy for finding solution concepts to the problem.

A common approach used by technologists is to define a problem to the nth degree then brainstorm the definition until ideas wane. Far more effective is to apply a structured problem solving methodology (e.g., unified structured inventive thinking). In brief it goes like this – I’ll use a simple example of invention by an engineer -

Look around you and pick an object that you understand completely (no time now to learn a new technology). I’ll pick a pencil. Now pick an environment of interest. I’ll pick my hand resting on a desk while holding a pencil and doodling. Make a sketch of this. Now list all the functions you can think of that the pencil does and can do in this environment. Be imaginative and thorough. Don’t forget drumming the pencil on the paper while you answer a phone call. Add comments to these functions concerning things a pencil doesn’t do well and things it doesn’t do at all. Using the sketch of the situation and the list of functions brainstorm new ideas until you run out of ideas. You’ve now picked the low hanging fruit, but don’t stop here instead turn to structured problem solving.

It is time now to construct new thought paths that lead to new areas of solution space and engage both brain hemispheres in the thought process (the logical left- and the creative right-brain hemispheres).

In essence, a single mal function or new function is taken as the problem. The problem is broken down into objects (O), their attributes (A) (in use in the selected situation), and the functions (F) these objects support. Now write a problem description using the OAF elements. Next minimize the number of objects and rewrite the problem statement. Each iteration of the statement will bring to mind new ideas. Iterate this process until it is reduced to two or three objects without losing the problem. A heuristic (problem-solving technique) for this is to identify what goes on at points of contact of the objects. The fundamental symbolic graphic heuristic is ...

O – A
\ (\ should connect A above to F below)
F – A -O
/ (/ should connect F above to A below)
O - A

There is much more to these methodologies. My comments are simply a heads up not a lecture.

www u-sit.net

This post has been edited by USIT-HI: 14 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1