12 Replies - 1041 Views - Last Post: 14 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

MacBook Pro

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

So I decided to purchase the mac book pro 15 inch laptop and am loving every minute of it. I was very skeptical about the switch from PC to a mac but the functionality of the mac compared to the PC has surpassed my expectations. It's so user friendly...I now understand why people say "once you go mac you don't go back." I do have one question though that I haven't quite been able to figure out, any help would be appreciated: I connected my external hard drive and opened it up, but once I had it opened I couldn't figure out how to add a new folder...I tried creating a new folder on my desktop and then dragging it into my hard drive icon on the desktop but that failed. when I right clicked (control + click) there was no option for a new folder? Also when I tried saving a word document to my hard drive it was unable to save it to my hard drive...

Thanks in advance

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: MacBook Pro

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: MacBook Pro

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

I would assume the drive uses the NTFS? As far as I know, Macs can read, but not write to that file system. Back-up your data and format to Fat32.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

I've never used a mac before but iirc you cannot write to an ntfs partition (which is probably what your hd is formatted as). Is it mounting in read only?

Edit: Ah Gavisann, you beat me too it!

Edit2: After some googling, I found out that you CAN write to an NTFS formatted drive. Linky

Final edit, I promise: Some users say Paragonis easier to use, but it costs money.

This post has been edited by chrisH: 07 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

I've been using NTFS-3G for years to give my MacProTower NTFS compatibility. As a rule I forget that some of the drives are NTFS, it works that well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 Dormilich  Icon User is online

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

once you get that working, use cmd + shift + n to create a new folder (faster than any other way)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:04 AM

How much was your mac? I love the idea of getting one but for a 17inch with 8gb ram and a 750GB HDD its 2,300.00! That is just way to much.

I could build a 12core, 32GB DDR3 beast cheaper than that.

Is it worth the price tag?

Just seen this so ignore my post :) Is it worth it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

I love Mac and have for years. With that said, ordering customized configurations from Apple is a HUGE waste of money. Apple charges 2-5 times the going rate for memory, hard drives, optical drives and so on.

The best thing to do is buy the basic computer from Apple, then buy memory from someplace like Data Memory Systems, hard drives and such from Frys or your local/favorite computer shot. I saved hundreds in upgrading my MacPro
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

View Postlrk89, on 08 September 2011 - 03:04 AM, said:

How much was your mac? I love the idea of getting one but for a 17inch with 8gb ram and a 750GB HDD its 2,300.00! That is just way to much.

I could build a 12core, 32GB DDR3 beast cheaper than that.

Is it worth the price tag?

One thing I've noticed is that American companies like to pretend that 1$ ≈ 1 ≈ 1₤, and gain a tidy profit from overseas sales. It's unfortunate, but our MBPs don't cost nearly that much. The same one you mentioned would be about ₤1,700 with today's exchange rate. Which is still exorbitant, but possibly worth it depending on what you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

I'm not sure it's the American companies.
I just got back from 2 weeks in Blackpool England.
I noticed that everything seemed to be priced the same at first.
McDonalds breakfast deal was 3.99 pounds.
A bottle of Coke out of a machine was 1 pound.
A 4gig memory stick was 7.99 pounds and so on.

Then you do the conversion and find that everything is actually 70% more expensive.

Then you find out that minimum wage is 6 pounds where we have 6 dollars. So in relative terms, the price is the same for locals.

When I was living in Australia I notices how expensive things were. A couple years ago it was cheaper to buy a Pontiac g6 here than it was to buy the Holden in Australia - but the Pontiac *was* the Holden, made in Australia and imported into the USA and re-badged - and it was still cheaper here than where it was made.

The more I dug into things, the more I learned just how much those governments tax everything. Even worse than the current USA regime is taxing us. Did you know that in England you have to pay a 145 pound "TV viewing tax" every year in order to own and operate any device capable of displaying TV shows? That is in addition to paying your TV service provider.

Australia has a huge import duty for all computer technologies imported into the country. That's why PC's and hard drives and video cards etc. are so frakin' expensive there. My son was able to spend US$ 2k to build a monster PC here, for something bigger and more advanced than anything he could assemble there for the equivelent of US$ 3k.

When you think about it, those countries almost have to do it. Australia for example has the same land mass/footprint as the USA. But a population of 21 million compared to the USA's 360 million. That's a tax base equal to the greater Los Angeles basin, to run a country the size of the USA. People still expect roads that go from coast to coast... internet and phone services that cover the entire country... Hospitals and reservoirs... emergency contingency funds... a military... airports... But it all has to be funded on a tax base 1/17th of the USA.

So do the math - they have to rape their citizens to provide for them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:34 PM

View PostDormilich, on 07 September 2011 - 02:28 PM, said:

once you get that working, use cmd + shift + n to create a new folder (faster than any other way)

mkdir is even faster...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 09 September 2011 - 02:24 PM, said:

When I was living in Australia I notices how expensive things were. A couple years ago it was cheaper to buy a Pontiac g6 here than it was to buy the Holden in Australia - but the Pontiac *was* the Holden, made in Australia and imported into the USA and re-badged - and it was still cheaper here than where it was made.

The more I dug into things, the more I learned just how much those governments tax everything. Even worse than the current USA regime is taxing us. Did you know that in England you have to pay a 145 pound "TV viewing tax" every year in order to own and operate any device capable of displaying TV shows? That is in addition to paying your TV service provider.

So do the math - they have to rape their citizens to provide for them.

Interesting that any taxation is "rape" to you. Why such violent imagery for a method of providing services that, by your description, is working pretty well for the citizens of those countries? Seems to me that the people in those countries view a turn to a more American system - being forced in Greece and Italy, for example - as the real violation. You don't see Finns rioting in the streets to overthrow their health care system, but if you eliminate services in any country but this one, people will take to the streets to defend the way things are. Is this, maybe, some sort of Stockholm syndrome? Have they simply come to love their violators?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:19 AM

Its not that *any* taxation is "rape" to me. I'm talking about grossly excessive taxation. You know, the same type of taxation that made people leave England and found the USA, to begin with.
Since this is way off topic
Spoiler

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 14 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

Use exFAT. Its native to the latest version of Snow Leopard so it's supported by Apple. NTFS read is supported, but not write (since the mac cannot write to the drive non-natively).

ExFAT can be read from Windows, Mac and even Linux with a driver install. Doesn't have the 4gb file size limit of FAT.

Should be in a drop down menu if you use Snow Leopard to format the drive.

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1