Books on C++

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

51 Replies - 76530 Views - Last Post: 01 August 2016 - 06:33 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Books on C++

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:29 AM

View PostDADDYCARDONA, on 31 March 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

I have read this post and I am going to start learning Visual C++ should I learn C++ first. I am not new to programming but reading some of these posts I see my issue. I try to do what the schools teaches us and that is rush my learning. Is there a good book for visual C++ and is visual studio community good enough to use for real? I am trying to learn this because back in the 90s i took a class on turbo C++ but to me it is more important that I really understand this because my son and I are going to learn together and he is smarter than I and he is going to be 16. He has a better grasp on programming then I do for he scripts in lua for roblox pretty well. I figured I know a little Java and JS that maybe I can learn this with him for a boding experience since we both actually enjoy it I just suck at it LOL So any suggestions?

It's a good idea to stick fairly closely to standard C++ while you're starting out - C++ itself has quite a few concepts to teach you which will be useful when you're trying to swim further ashore with 3rd-party libraries and other tools.

The number of "good" books out there for learning C++ is unfortunately limited. The majority of C++ books still tend to lead you astray somewhat by teaching big chunks of the 'C' language first, and they get bogged down into absurd amounts of low-level detail regarding computer science concepts such as memory management, algorithms and data structures (All useful topics for an advanced programming course, but not really beginner topics for just learning how to write programs or how to use a programming language. I guess it's a sign of the times that programmers in 2016 generally don't need to write their own data structures or manage memory very often).

If your last encounter with C++ was with Borland's Turbo C++, then you'll probably have learned most of those "C like" things before. C++ itself has evolved and modernised, but only a handful of books have kept up the pace. The 3 beginner books which have managed to stay up-to-date are:
  • C++ Primer by Lajoie/Lippman
  • Accelerated C++ by Koenig/Moo
  • C++ Principles and Practice by Stroustrup

As someone with prior experience in a handful of languages, you'll probably cope fine with Koenig's Accelerated C++, which is a wonderfully condensed, concise and well-structured book which doesn't waste time repeating itself or diving into long-winded terse explanations (You might find yourself re-reading the same page twice, or even re-reading the whole book - but that's not a bad thing IMO).

While it does explain the basics of if/while/for/functions/etc, its real focus is teaching all of the bits of C++ which aren't found in C (The bits which make C++ an easier language to use for solving "real" problems, whereas the C language gets bogged down in low-level detail). The book is a little bit old, but not really outdated - i.e. everything it teaches is absolutely relevant in 2016, but it's lacking coverage on newer features like Threads and Regex.

Stroustrup's Principles and Practice is much newer book, which crosses-over between modern C++ and general software development (so it's a book which teaches you how to be a programmer, rather than simply teaching how to use the C++ language). Stroustrup's book also branches out beyond the core C++ language, and spends time on 3rd-party tools (he uses a GUI toolkit called FLTK).

Lastly, Lippman's C++ Primer is a really big book of C++. It's almost 3 times the size of Accelerated C++, and it's very slow-paced in comparison, but it has a lot of coverage and depth.

Visual C++ is just a tool - you can use it to write plain old standard C++, although you'll need to make sure you choose the "right" project type. The easiest project type to start with is the Win32 Console Application; when you create the project you'll want to un-tick the box for Precompiled Headers - because that will just get in your way. (It will give you a couple of superfluous files called stdafx.h/.cpp - but if you disable precompiled headers you can delete those).

The community edition of Visual Studio 2015 is a very powerful tool - it's basically Microsoft's "Professional" edition rebranded for personal, educational and non-commercial use. i.e. the only difference for Professional-vs-Community is the license terms; you can't use it for developing a commercial product.

This post has been edited by Bench: 01 April 2016 - 01:38 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed previous quote, just press REPLY

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#47 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:49 AM

e. the only difference for Professional-vs-Community is the license terms; you can't use it for developing a commercial product.

That's not accurate.

Individual license. If you are an individual working on your own applications to sell or for any other purpose, you may use the software to develop and test those applications.

https://www.visualst...s/mt171547.aspx

The main differences are options included.
https://www.visualst...roducts-vs.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:40 AM

Hi !
I'm Looking for a Book that Teaches C or C++ Socket Programming (preferably in Windows).
Is There Any?
Regards.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

Since you're new, before going for a book you can try learncpp.com to get a rough idea about the language. While you check it out you'll get an idea about continuing to learn it or not. If you like it and it suits you, go for 'The C++ Programming Language - by Bjarne Stroustrup'. What can be better than a book written by the creator himself! :) All the best!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

Hello!
Would any of you recommend a good algorithms book for someone who's not as bad in syntax than algorithms? I have quite problems to solve problems on sites, and if I do solve problem, it's not as effective as other's solution. I didn't know which section this belongs to, so I'm asking here, sorry if I'm writing in a wrong section.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

View Postdex73r, on 02 June 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

Hello!
Would any of you recommend a good algorithms book for someone who's not as bad in syntax than algorithms? I have quite problems to solve problems on sites, and if I do solve problem, it's not as effective as other's solution. I didn't know which section this belongs to, so I'm asking here, sorry if I'm writing in a wrong section.

A nice book aboy algorithms that is also related with C++ is sedgewick's Algorithms in C++ which has a lot of basic and advanced algorithms in C++. Another option would be Weiss book that is related to data structure but has some nice algorithms on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:33 PM

Maybe you can find some good ebooks about algorithms and programming on Amazon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First