11 Replies - 1708 Views - Last Post: 23 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Are there any must-have libraries?

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

While I don't have a problem, I'm wondering how to expand my knowledge of the C language. So I've decided to come and ask:
Are there any libraries that people consider a must-have?
It could be anything from a GUI framework to a networking framework. All I want to know is what you'd say is one of the most important non-included libraries you've been using.

Thank you!
Crockeo
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Are there any must-have libraries?

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Are there any must-have libraries?

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

in C? not really. for whatever reason there is no general library that's a total lifesaver in almost every application. for C++ there is Boost but there is nothing like that for C.

a few things i thought might be useful but never tried

glib: has a bunch of useful libraries. hashtables, arrays, lists, and a bunch of other stuff

bstring: "better" string, it basically seeks to remedy the horrible string manipulation of C

Stanford Functions Library: you can read about it here
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

I'm wondering how to expand my knowledge of the C language
Crack open a standard or a draft and read through it. Seriously, you'll be able to see past of the incorrect information on C and understand the nuances in writing correct code in C.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

View PostOler1s, on 10 September 2011 - 02:28 PM, said:

I'm wondering how to expand my knowledge of the C language
Crack open a standard or a draft and read through it. Seriously, you'll be able to see past of the incorrect information on C and understand the nuances in writing correct code in C.

I have to strongly disagree here. It's a highly technical document and not at all easy to read. It's meant to be read mainly by compiler writers and library implementers.

tbh I think this thread is in the wrong section. The OP asked how they could expand their knowledge of the C language yet this is the C++ forum. This thread should be moved to the C and C++ forum imo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

Well you have a point about it being a question in C and this being labeled the "C++ Programmers" forum. However the purpose of this forum is to allow a deeper discussion and I don't see too compelling a reason to be strict on C vs C++ topics here...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

View PostRicky65, on 13 September 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

I have to strongly disagree here. It's a highly technical document and not at all easy to read. It's meant to be read mainly by compiler writers and library implementers.

i would have to disagree with you there. yes it's technical but so is programing. the standard(s) is/are the best definition(s) of a given language and C is no exception to this rule. It wont teach you to program, for that your going to have to actually program and learn from others more experienced than you(things like idioms and best practice). the standard gives you a more fundamental understanding of the language that allows you to apply idioms and ideas(of your own or others) in ways you might not otherwise have thought of.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

I have to agree that if you are trying to expand your knowledge of C then spending some time in the standard document is really a benefit.

You see the internet and even the wide world of professional development tends to be FULL of bad C practices. Many of the examples of bad C are written by good programmers who simply learned a poor practice and have stuck with it because it works for them. Take for example the ubiquitous use of:

fflush(stdin); -- undefined behavior. Now some vendors have defined what this means but it is not standard C and may not function as you would expect between compilers.

So taking a look at the standard can really open your eyes to many of the details of how C programs actually work - or why something recommended in some book on "C with compiler X" works in compiler X but not on compiler Y.

It is very technical and no one said you had to read it like a novel. It is very good to poke around in and become familiar with. I have to say that poking around really is vital to getting a deep understanding of the language.

Of course poking around is not really enough. To learn to program in any language you MUST USE IT!

The key to being a great programmer is to program. Write code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

View Postishkabible, on 13 September 2011 - 08:28 AM, said:

View PostRicky65, on 13 September 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

i would have to disagree with you there. yes it's technical but so is programing. the standard(s) is/are the best definition(s) of a given language and C is no exception to this rule. It wont teach you to program, for that your going to have to actually program and learn from others more experienced than you(things like idioms and best practice). the standard gives you a more fundamental understanding of the language that allows you to apply idioms and ideas(of your own or others) in ways you might not otherwise have thought of.

I don't doubt that reading a Standard can further your knowledge, I just feel that there are better ways of doing so. It's completely unsuitable for some programmers, especially novices, as they wouldn't understand half the terms. I consider myself competent in C++ (I've been using C++ long enough to realize that I'll never be an expert) and with the last C++03 draft standard I usually have to re-read something at least twice to comprehend it.

I'd much rather prefer a good reference book such as Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" than the Standard.

Also, don't forget that you need to pay for an ISO standard, which C and C++ are. It's about £250 here in the UK, that's too high of an expense for somebody like myself. For free, all that is available is a draft standard which will have discrepancies.

This post has been edited by Ricky65: 13 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

Detours is an interesting library, created by Microsoft themselves. They describe like so.

Detours intercepts Win32 functions by re-writing the in-memory code for target functions.

Basically, it lets you replace arbitrary functions in any Win32 application with your own user defined function. Obviously, it's legitimate usefulness could be argued under certain circumstances, but I consider it a very useful and must have library in certain applications.

This post has been edited by Aphex19: 13 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 13 September 2011 - 07:59 AM, said:

Well you have a point about it being a question in C and this being labeled the "C++ Programmers" forum. However the purpose of this forum is to allow a deeper discussion and I don't see too compelling a reason to be strict on C vs C++ topics here...

Fair enough. Maybe this forum should be called "C and C++ Programmers" then? That would be clearer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:29 AM

Clearer perhaps... but longer. I think on this one its just easier to take the view that C is a subset (even if that is not truly accurate) of C++ and say that rather than let a C topic of deeper interest be burred in the fast moving C/C++ forum we extract it out for a little closer look.

of course this seems to be backfiring on me:

My intention/hope was that we would generate a list of interesting and useful C libraries and maybe a few user stories or discussions. However so far 4 libraries have been mentioned in 2 post has been about libraries, and three have been about the merits/demerits of this being in the "C++ Programmer's" forum.

all I can say is: FAIL

...happens to me more often than not it seems.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

Well I posted my fixed size multdimensional array library link on here a few days ago and have had no replies which is a shame.

It seems that there is not much C++ discusion on here sadly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1