3 Replies - 6762 Views - Last Post: 13 September 2011 - 10:05 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Eclipse problems - binary missing, errors, etc.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Hi everyone, I'm try to start up Eclipse and write programs in it. I'm running into a few problems.

First - I downloaded Eclipse as well as the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers. When I finished downloading, I double clicked and was given the file that Eclipse was stored in. I tried to make a desktop icon by dragging the Eclipse launcher out of the folder and onto my desktop, but Eclipse wouldn't run that way, so I had to drag the entire "Eclipse" folder that contains the launcher and other files such as configurations, dropins, etc. Does anyone know a way that I can set Eclipse as a desktop shortcut? I'm pretty lost here.

Second, when I do open Eclipse (and I open via clicking "Eclipse" (folder) -> "Eclipse" (launcher) on my desktop, I run into errors. I get a "Error launching external scanner generator" at the bottom of Eclipse under the "Problems" tab. Third, when I run the simple hello world code, I get an error - "Launch Failed No Binaries."

I'm not sure what these errors mean, and from what I've read online, I had to download the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers, which I'm sure I already did. How can I confirm that my installation is correct?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Eclipse problems - binary missing, errors, etc.

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Eclipse problems - binary missing, errors, etc.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

Firstly, what OS are you using?

First - I downloaded Eclipse as well as the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers. When I finished downloading, I double clicked and was given the file that Eclipse was stored in. I tried to make a desktop icon by dragging the Eclipse launcher out of the folder and onto my desktop, but Eclipse wouldn't run that way, so I had to drag the entire "Eclipse" folder that contains the launcher and other files such as configurations, dropins, etc. Does anyone know a way that I can set Eclipse as a desktop shortcut? I'm pretty lost here.

You can't take the launcher icon out of the folder. You have to create a shortcut (Windows) or a link (Linux) to the icon.

Second, when I do open Eclipse (and I open via clicking "Eclipse" (folder) -> "Eclipse" (launcher) on my desktop, I run into errors. I get a "Error launching external scanner generator" at the bottom of Eclipse under the "Problems" tab. Third, when I run the simple hello world code, I get an error - "Launch Failed No Binaries."

Eclipse didn't compile anything. I'm guessing that Eclipse isn't configured to use your C/C++ compiler. You do have one installed right? MinGW (A Windows port of GCC), GCC (Linux), etc. You need GCC and Make, and possibly GDB.

When you create a new C/C++ project, there should be a toolchain window with your C/C++ compiler.

Posted Image

Eclipse CDT Setup
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

Firstly, what OS are you using?

I am using Mac OS X. This is what I have to do to open Eclipse - I need to click on my Eclipse 3 file (it's #3 because I downloaded it 3 times after thinking I could get a desktop icon working after the first, second, and third attempts ...) and then double-click on the fifth line from the top.

http://imageshack.us...10914at123.png/

You can't take the launcher icon out of the folder. You have to create a shortcut (Windows) or a link (Linux) to the icon.

I'm having trouble with doing this on the Mac, but I guess that's more of a Mac issue rather than an Eclipse issue. More importantly ...

Eclipse didn't compile anything. I'm guessing that Eclipse isn't configured to use your C/C++ compiler. You do have one installed right? MinGW (A Windows port of GCC), GCC (Linux), etc. You need GCC and Make, and possibly GDB.

When you create a new C/C++ project, there should be a toolchain window with your C/C++ compiler.

I start up Eclipse, am faced with 3 errors (the "practice" file was my failed attempt to make a C program). I do see some compliers on my toolchain that I installed previously.

The three errors that are there are:

Error launching external scanner info generator (gcc Users/Username/Documents/Workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.make.core/specs.c)
Error launching external scanner info generator (gcc Users/Username/Documents/Workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.make.core/specs.c) (It's a duplicate error?)
Program "gcc" is not found in SPATH

http://imageshack.us...10914at124.png/

Do the above links match what you anticipated?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

I think you need to add GCC to your PATH environment variable. Try:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin/gcc

I'm not sure of the exact path.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1