3 Replies - 9447 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

advice on Mathematics major course

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

I am about to major in mathematics in a course in bsc mathematics and computer science. which field is best between pure, applied or statistics considering that i want to be an Information security analyst
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: advice on Mathematics major course

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: advice on Mathematics major course

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

Honestly applied mathematics will be what you want to do if you want computer science. It will be what will help you the most in case you want to change your direction from information security to some other computer specialty. Applied also fits nicely with pure. I don't think the two are necessarily disjointed. You may dabble in pure a little bit when it comes to cryptography.

But overall I say that applied fits best with computer science in general, statistic would fit better if you were going for a business/computer science degree and pure fits best with doing things like computer modeling or heavy science related field.

Just my thoughts on the subject. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:30 PM

I also have done some business stuff. is statistics the best option?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

I have taken both of these courses and my conclusion is that statistics has very little to do with computer programming. The applied math is used much more often. Statistics will lend you to more of a what if situation such as what if you have x amount of crashes how many more will be in the future. Applied math is more of a working math in which you understand how this happen and not how they may happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1