• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1715 Views - Last Post: 15 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Telecommute Jobs. Do they even exist?

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:33 AM

Hi,

I am a c# developer with 2+ years experience in web forms apps, asp.net development (1+ year), mobile apps (1+ years).
I am looking for a legitimate telecommute job but haven't been able to find one yet.
Do they even exist?. I will really appreciate if someone who already is working via telecommute or has done so in the past, could share his/her experience.
Thanks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Telecommute Jobs. Do they even exist?

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Telecommute Jobs. Do they even exist?

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

I'm the kind of person who would probably do more work on a telecommuting job than in a "real" job. I have not found anything of the sort yet, although as a free lance web developer you can easily pull it off, as long as you have enough clients.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:42 AM

If by "telecommute" you mean 'work from home' then I guess I would be one.

I work full-time +, for a company as a software engineer. The company is based in one state. I am currently in another.

But it wasn't always that way. I started at the main office. Came to work 8-5 just like everyone else. It took time and the right opportunity to show that productivity can actually go up, for the right person, when taken away from the constant distractions of the office.

You might have to start in an office so management can get to know your work ethics. Most people don't do well being self-managed. Its too easy to sleep in, put off work in favor of doing the dishes, etc. Then by the end of the week you have only worked 10 hours but still expect to be paid for 40.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 14 September 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

You might have to start in an office so management can get to know your work ethics. Most people don't do well being self-managed. Its too easy to sleep in, put off work in favor of doing the dishes, etc. Then by the end of the week you have only worked 10 hours but still expect to be paid for 40.

This is something you really have to watch for. If you've been to college, look at how you did work. Was the above your general attitude? Then you probably shouldn't work from home.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

If you learned to code in college - just feel lucky to be employed. Our company, and every one we work with avoids college coders until they have at least 5 years with someone else. Nobody wants to have to put up the prevailing attitude and lack of genuine skill. Employers don't want to have to 'grow up' these kids and make them ready for the work world.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:00 AM

Yes, people telecommute. However, I don't believe it's ever an option for a new employee. Most telecommuters are consultants. They're onsite, then offsite. As their onsite fee tends to be much higher than offsite, companies are willing to pay offsite hours.

Most people who do a lot of work from home tend to be under long contracts. Otherwise, it's a particular deal they've worked out with the company. You need a track record before anyone will pay you without seeing you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

I know a couple people who work from home Tue-Thu, but have to be at the office on Mon and Fri for assignments, meetings, status reports and so on.

Then there are other small companies that are completely virtual. Owner in one city, sales people all work the area they live in, developers work from home and collaborate "in the clouds". But the key there is "small companies". Most large companies can't work that way. So you have to accept a trade off in company size (and thus wages and stability) for the freedom of a work-from-home lifestyle.

I think there are as many variations on the concept as there are companies willing to try them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

Yes, they exist.

I'm going to assume you mean telecommuting while working for a company vs. working from home as a freelancer (even though both are "legit").

We have some telecommute workers, and I telecommute often due to conflicts with school (most people here work from home now and then). I mainly see 100% telecommute when it's someone that has to move, who's been with the company for a while, and has proven both that they have a good work ethic and have made consistently valuable contributions. It really depends on the company and the environment. I've heard of some companies or teams that are all 100% remote workers.

Also, keep in mind that working from home doesn't always mean you get to work any different hours from everyone else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:55 AM

There can also be disadvantages to telecommuting.
For example, if I need to develop support for a given piece of equipment. It was my choice to not work at the office therefore it is my responsibility to cover the expense of shipping that item to my location and back. Though most people would consider it a good trade for not putting a 1000 miles a month on my truck, or having to dress above PJ's for work.

Some people don't like to be out of the loop. If you aren't in the office you don't get consulted on everything. You don't overhear plans and get to just chime in with your input. You can miss key opportunities to shine in front of the boss. Its easy to be left in the woodwork and half forgotten about when it comes time for raises and promotions.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

Some people don't like to be out of the loop. If you aren't in the office you don't get consulted on everything. You don't overhear plans and get to just chime in with your input. You can miss key opportunities to shine in front of the boss. Its easy to be left in the woodwork and half forgotten about when it comes time for raises and promotions.

So much this! I've been working from home for a few years now, and actually working apart from the boss for ~8 years, and it SUCKS being out of the loop. I love the opportunities I get to travel to the office.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

Thanks everyone, for sharing your valuable input on this matter. I guess everything has it's advantages as well as disadvantages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

View Postho-ho, on 14 September 2011 - 12:43 PM, said:

I guess everything has it's advantages as well as disadvantages.

Welcome to life on Earth.
It wasn't my first choice for deployment either.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:29 AM

What baavgai said. I've seen lots of out-of-state work lately because they apparently can't fill their need for expert-level people, so they have to contract to out of state consultants. Depending on the length of the contract you can work on-site (travel and expenses paid or built in to your bill rate) for a few weeks and then work from home the remainder with the occasional week on-site. I've also noticed that many start-ups will hire people from around the globe to work remotely. I was on a contract recently where team members were in California, Arizona, Texas, Belarus, and India.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:13 AM

I'd like to add that your having only 2 years experience will put you at a decided disadvantage when seeking a telecommute or remote position. There are two things you need in somewhat greater amounts than an in-office employee: superior coding experience (as you'll have nobody you can stroll down the hall to ask for help) and a self-starter habit. The second one is really more a maturity measure so perhaps it doesn't apply to you but it will definitely occur to hiring managers when viewing your resume...particularly if you're young.

You CAN solicit help from, well, sites like DIC. While that is indeed exceptionally handy, it's not always timely.

I worked 3+ years from home as an application dev (up til about 3 years ago) and when I started I had around 6 years experience...and it was still a challenge to get moving in the morning and to know when to stop in the evening.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

If its a small office, IM programs such as Yahoo do a lot for staying in contact with the office and other remote people. I find it pretty convenient to type up a quick "What is the widget spec for that gadget device?" etc. in an IM to the right person.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +