3 Replies - 2279 Views - Last Post: 21 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Creating a weather overlay for google maps

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

I am currently using Google maps to plot store locations through the API, but now I am wanting to add radar information that is obtained from weather underground, or from anywhere really. Has anyone done this before, or can point me in the right direction for how to create a radar overlay for google maps. (I'm using the Google javascript API, and XML to plot the store locations if that helps form an answer).

I've looked on google, and there are a few differnt suggestions, but they all have to do with google maps from 2007-2008. I've also looked through the API wiki page found here: Google GMap api, but there are no examples, and i'm not understanding the Overlay pieces.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating a weather overlay for google maps

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating a weather overlay for google maps

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

The Google weather API is very unofficial, meaning that for some reason they don't want you to use it. A quick search reveals that some people have still found a way to use it. Here is an example query: http://www.google.co...eather=New+York

I'm not sure how you would translate this into something to display on a map though. I'll be looking into it in the future, as I'm currently developing some Gmaps as part of a project. I'll let you know if I find out something more.

EDIT: This API seems to give slightly different results compared to the weather overlay at maps.google.com

This post has been edited by Cbeppe: 19 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

I'm currently using GMaps to do the store plots, which also gives you the option of doing custom overlays, but the documentation for how to use a custom overlay is not very good. I currently get an XML feed from Weather underground of radar data, and I also get Radar Images from NOAA, but I just cannot figure out how to get either of these to interact with GMaps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

I haven't tried this yet, so I'm not sure if it would work, but I just had one idea:

If you have a service that provides you with coordinates, you can create marker overlay at that point. You can then replace the pushpin icon with your own custom icon that changes depending on the forecasted weather. I.E: If the weather is sunny, the marker is a sun; if it is rainy, the marker is a cloud with rain, and so on.

It could take some time, but it would be a reusable script that could be worthwhile making if you need it for multiple projects.

I'll probably try this approach myself in the near future.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1