2 Replies - 524 Views - Last Post: 14 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Meaning of "ASP.NET experience"

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

Gregarious greetings,

When looking at job postings for Developer/Programmer, I often see that ASP.Net experience is required or desired.

I coded for a few years in Visual Studio using VB.Net and it seems that IT recruiters and some prospective employers did not consider VB.Net in Visual Studio to be ASP.Net experience. I had noticed that VB.Net is used for coding within Visual Studio using VB but that there was no term "C#.Net" for coding C# in Visual Studio. So I thought that ASP.Net work experience means that one codes in C# in Visual Studio rather than in VB.Net in Visual Studio.

Currently I am working in my first job coding in C# in Visual Studio. In the past, IT recruiters and some prospective employers did consider C# in Visual Studio to be ASP.Net experience. One IT recruiter and the CIO of a prospective new employer did not think though that my current coding in C# in Visual Studio constitutes ASP.Net work experience.

I just wondered if anybody has any opinion on this issue and how one defines "ASP.Net work experience" in the world of programming/web development/win app development. If coding in C# in Visual Studio is not "ASP.Net work experience" in the eyes of an IT recruiter and a CIO of a company, then what is ASP.Net work experience? Does "ASP.Net work experience" at least to some extent denote an approach to programming and not just what computer programming language is used? If the computer programming language used is a part of ASP.Net work experience, what language or languages suffice?

I have used and use currently T-SQL on SQL Server, but I imagine that this has nothing to do with ASP.Net work experience.

Thanks much,

Hviezdoslav

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Meaning of "ASP.NET experience"

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Meaning of "ASP.NET experience"

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

Basically, you have two different types of .NET programming:

ADO.NET for desktop type applications,
and
ASP.NET for web type applications.

While ADO.NET and ASP.NET have similar syntax, they are not the same thing. Additionally, C# is just .NET with a C type syntax and VB.NET is .NET with VB type syntax without reference to the .NET type. There is no "C#.NET".

If a person is an ADO.NET developer and wants to make the shift to ASP.NET (or the other way), it wouldn't be too far of a jump imo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Meaning of "ASP.NET experience"

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

I thank you much for your reply, Psyguy.

My work experience in the past was with web apps (VB.Net/Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2000 and 2005). Is this then considered ASP.Net experience?

Currently I work with web apps and win apps (both using C# in Visual Studio 2005 and 2010 as well as SQL Server 2008). Is this then considered ASP.Net experience, or at least is the web app development using C#/Visual Studio considered ASP.Net experience?

I think of ADO.NET as a way to connect to a database like OLE DB is a way to connect. If using OLE DB connection in Visual Studio for a web app, is this ASP.Net experience?

If I understand you correctly (and again I appreciate your response), coding for a web app in Visual Studio in either C# or VB.Net is not ASP.Net experience unless ADO.Net is used to connect to data versus using OLE DB?

Thanks,

Hviezdoslav
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1