could i have a file that i save in a secial folder on my network that

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1292 Views - Last Post: 20 March 2007 - 05:08 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

using your wirless network to run a 2 player game

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:24 PM

ok so what i want to do is any time something changes on one computer it has a file (i don't know what type) saved on my network and every say second the 2 computers check if something's different. what i was thinking is have a text file that says like picturebox1.left = 250 then i would write
if textfile1.text = "picturebox1.left = 250" then picturebox1.left = 250

could someone help me i need to know how to save textfiles and then read them ( would i have a bunch of different textfiles or just one) and is there a better file type to use say data and how would i use that
thnx
john

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: using your wirless network to run a 2 player game

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: using your wirless network to run a 2 player game

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

Instead of passing so much information over the net, and slowing things down as they get bigger - more complex, create a CODED list of images. Then instead of sending "Whatever the item is" you send a value that equals that image.

If SentValue = 564 then ThisValue = 564
Lookup ThisValue

or better yet simply

ThisValue = SentValue
Lookup ThisValue

or even better still -

If you create a shared database, then both computers can simply lookup the CURRENT value on the database.
then there is no communications to the other computer(s), just a shared database on one of the computers, or on a server.

If you don't understand all of this, use the Absolute Beginners Guide to Programming that is available in VB 2005 express, it covers a lot of things quite well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:02 AM

View PostKeyWiz, on 7 Mar, 2007 - 12:04 PM, said:

Instead of passing so much information over the net, and slowing things down as they get bigger - more complex, create a CODED list of images. Then instead of sending "Whatever the item is" you send a value that equals that image.

Lookup ThisValue

or better yet simply

ThisValue = SentValue
Lookup ThisValue

or even better still -

If you create a shared database, then both computers can simply lookup the CURRENT value on the database.
then there is no communications to the other computer(s), just a shared database on one of the computers, or on a server.

If you don't understand all of this, use the Absolute Beginners Guide to Programming that is available in VB 2005 express, it covers a lot of things quite well.

View Postsiopao, on 20 Mar, 2007 - 01:57 AM, said:

View PostKeyWiz, on 7 Mar, 2007 - 12:04 PM, said:

Lookup ThisValue

or better yet simply

ThisValue = SentValue
Lookup ThisValue

or even better still -

Posted Image
That's very program wise using variable is a good thing.I have also same question about network gaming because im planning to make a simple one.My question is how can i send a picture and message in a client-server relation using ip/winsock
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

well would you first want to take a picture of your form? then take that as a jpg (or any other file type) then somewhere else say form1.backroundimage = then you file
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1