9 Replies - 7324 Views - Last Post: 19 September 2011 - 03:35 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

The best programming language for beginners?

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

I am pretty new to coding, and I am looking for a good programming language for beginners.
Does anyone know a simple language I can use to get the hang of coding games? I've tried C++ and Java, but C++ didn't work out for me, and I didn't really manage to create anything big with Java.

I'd really appreciate it if you would spend a few seconds to give me a reccomendation of a language I can use to learn game programming =)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The best programming language for beginners?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: The best programming language for beginners?

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

While I wouldn't recommend it for long-term use, the environment that helped me take my first steps into game development was Game Maker. The drag-and-drop interface can provide a great introduction to the concepts, and the tool's integrated functionality is great for giving you a fun environment to learn in. I first started programming using Game Maker's scripting language, GML (Game Maker Language), which is a C-like language that can be quite useful for getting used to programming.

If you're more interested in keeping with a primarily-programming environment, I'd recommend starting out with Python and PyGame. Python is a powerful (and increasingly common) scripting language, and can definitely help you to come to terms with how programming works and the general logic behind games.

And lastly, something that might be the middle ground between the two suggestions, there's the Blitz series, which uses a BASIC-spinoff called BlitzBasic, and comes in multiple flavors based on what your needs are.

If your ultimate goal is to learn programming, I recommend using one of these tools to keep you interested in game development while learning C++ on the side. Console projects can get boring rapidly, but learning the fundamentals is essential if you want to write effective C++ code, so keeping a secondary development environment open is something I can't recommend highly enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

You need to make C++ work out for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:31 AM

It will, when I am a good enough programmer to use it. I'll try starting out with C# or Python and PyGame.

Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:34 AM

My personal recommendation is C#; it's a clean language with a high level of productivity. It also appears to be as complicated as you're prepared to go. Also, it allows you to get closer to 'real game development' more than the alternatives out there (bar C++ of course).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

I hadn't thought of C# (mostly because I only use it for applications, rather than games), but I remember Microsoft's XNA was a great framework to work with. Fun to get started with and easy to grasp, plus Microsoft has a lot of documentation and samples available, along with an incredibly helpful community. The greatest benefit of this, of course, is that you can develop (and distribute) games for the XBOX 360 over XBOX Live Indie Games-- if you have a $99/yr subscription or are a student, of course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

I'm probably going to use C# (as it is the closest language to C++). Python was easy to use, but it didn't in any way tell any errors, and there was no way to run scripts, unless I've missed something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

Good that you're choosing C#! You cannot run scripts in Python because it is a scripting language! You can use it to run scripted events from compiled code. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:18 AM

I'm pretty sure he was talking about running the Python scripts themselves, not running an external scripting solution alongside a Python scripted app. D:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

I think you missed something during your Python experience, but frankly that's not such a bad thing. The decision to go ahead with C# is a very good one.

There is nothing wrong with Python, it is a very good starter language, but I (personally) think C# is a much better choice. If you ever do go back to Python, I would recommend you start with an IDE like ActiveState, at least till you get going.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1