1 Replies - 2788 Views - Last Post: 18 September 2011 - 03:27 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

NoSQL or SQLite

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

I wrote an application in C# that needs a database. I was just wondering which would be faster and better, Redis or SQLite?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: NoSQL or SQLite

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: NoSQL or SQLite

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:27 AM

What kind of application is it? Is it a server, a website, or perhaps a client application?

SQLite is the "goto" database for client apps, as it's not actually a server and can be integrated into your own code fairly easily. It's single file data storage is also ideal for portability. The downside is that this simplicity can cause some issues when multiple concurrent operations need to be performed on the database, especially if there are a lot of write operations being done. (Each write operation needs exclusive access to the database file.)

For server applications you are most likely going to want to try one of the more traditional database servers. There are great choice for both relational and the NoSQL systems. Since you specifically mention Redis, I believe it's greatest advantage is that it operates mostly in-memory. That makes it extremely fast, but can also make it vulnerable to data loss in case of problems with the server. I've never used it myself though, so my insight into it is limited.

Which is best for you depends on your needs. With what little you told us, there is little point in us recommending anything. You may as well just pick one at random. We'd need to know more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1