3 Replies - 12667 Views - Last Post: 05 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Tips for Better Help in HTML/CSS Forum

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

Hello everyone!

Got a tough layout or design issue for your page you want us to take a look at? Want a quick solution? Then I suggest you follow these recommendations to help speed up any issues you have:

1) Put your problem page online somewhere with the attached Javascript and CSS files. Then post the link to the page in your post along with your question. This helps us actually see what happening in real time and test with different browsers.

2) Attach an image of what you would like it to look like. So you have a link to the way a page is currently and now you need to add an image to show us what you want it to look like. This doesn't have to be ultra "pretty". Take a screenshot of your existing page, cut out elements and drag them to where you want it to be. Draw on top of the graphic even. Draw an arrow right at that rogue space popping up or element in the wrong spot.

3) Give a brief correctly spelled and grammar correct intro to what problems you are having. In HTML and CSS there are many many ways of doing the same thing and some ways are better than others for a certain scenario. Try to explain your intentions behind the design change so we can get an idea of potential problems you may face later. Are you looking to implement jQuery later? Are you wanting to be 100% compliant with W3C standards? Which browsers have you tried?

By following these simple rules you can help us greatly. Normally we say to people on our board to "show your code" but in HTML/CSS it typically helps more if you can give us access to the page itself. This is because while you may be struggling with a div and its position using a CSS style, the reason it won't work is because it is being effected by a class CSS style you have for the page or higher level element. In other words, you may not being seeing the bigger picture and just need fresh eyes to see it.

I hope this helps us get to your questions faster and provide better answers. Thanks! :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 18 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 4
  • +

Replies To: Tips for Better Help in HTML/CSS Forum

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tips for Better Help in HTML/CSS Forum

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

On that note, I suggest using something like jsfiddle.net to post your code so we can see if it works, quickly or putting up a live version or even a zipped version of the site (if possible). It's just an easy way. I agree with everything you said Martyr2.

This post has been edited by EnvXOwner: 18 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:28 AM

If you decide to zip the site rather than give us a link, make sure you do not include any passwords. I have seen before (though possibly not on this site) where somebody included a php file to access their database... that password used may well have been one they use for everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

Hi Martyr2,

Thanks for your great suggestion for resolving the problem about HTML/CSS coding. One of the best suggestion, I ever read to get fast and best solution over a problem in web designing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1