5 Replies - 4809 Views - Last Post: 20 September 2011 - 05:04 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

question about databases in winforms that are published

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hi All,

I create databases using SQL SERVER 2005 Management Studio, I use the connection string from my database which look like this

conn = New SqlConnection("Data Source=*************;Initial Catalog=LandyParts;Integrated Security=True")

When I publish the application and run the setup on my pc the applications work fine and save information to the database as it should.

My question is if I posted the applications setup file as open source on a website and someone installed the application on there pc would the application work and would information save to the database provided, or does the database need to be on the users pc? OR is the database added to the winform application when I use the add data source wizard in Visual Studio????

Personnaly I think that the applications should run fine on anyones pc, but it does not hurt to ask. ;)

Thanks very much

John

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: question about databases in winforms that are published

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: question about databases in winforms that are published

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

If your installing the database file on each computer and they are not needing to relate the same data from a single inventory then that would be fine. However, if you want all users to show and update the inventory then you need a server.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:59 AM

View Posthawkvalley1, on 18 September 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

If your installing the database file on each computer and they are not needing to relate the same data from a single inventory then that would be fine. However, if you want all users to show and update the inventory then you need a server.

Thanks hawkvalley,

I ask ecause I want to upload some applications I have built as free software to various websites, this will be the first time I have done this, obviously I would just be uploading the setup file for the application.

I think I know the answer to this but I need to know for sure, is the database installed with the application from the setup file for the application, or do I need to send the database as a seperate file???

I can test this tonight I guess by removing the database file from its current location on the (database project on the hard drive) to a portable hard drive and see if the application still saves data.

Thanks again for the reply.

John

This post has been edited by John-Ellis: 19 September 2011 - 05:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:25 AM

It's all about the connections string at that point. I would add the database file with the setup project.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:09 AM

View Posthawkvalley1, on 19 September 2011 - 05:25 AM, said:

It's all about the connections string at that point. I would add the database file with the setup project.

Sound, cheers hawkvalley
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:04 AM

Hi All,

I have one final question (honest).

If I have written a program that uses a sql database to save data, does the user downloading the program to there computer have to have SQL Server installed on there pc or do I add SQL Server in the setup file so it installs when the user installs my program.

Thanks

John
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1