• « First

66 Replies - 8719 Views - Last Post: 05 October 2011 - 07:20 AM

#46 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Are Macs really that optimised?

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

microsoft office applications load markedly faster on a windows machine.

Unsurprising, neither Microsoft nor Apple write good software for each other's platform. iTunes and Safari for Windows are both pigs. Office for Mac runs slowly, but is still a better office suite than anything else, which is pretty sad, but I didn't buy the mac for word processing anyway.

What's difficult to customize on the mac? Specifically, since we're talking OS and not machine, what's difficult to customize under MacOS?

Well, the UI for one thing. You have two choices: blue or gray. Which doesn't really bother me, I'm not a UI tweaker, but if you're a linux guy, you'd be used to having something like Compiz. But that's just my answer to that question. Perhaps BetaWar has more specific complaints.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Linux people do what they do because they hate Microsoft. We do what we do because we love Unix. - Theo De Raadt

That summarizes my view on Linux quite nicely. Primarily for heavy dev and server tasks I use OpenBSD, desktop I use Ubuntu.

Ubuntu isn't true Linux? Bite me, I can SSH into my BSD machine and have all the "power" I want without being an elitist prick bent on their own superiority complexes.

On that same note of superiority complexes, yet another reason why I detest Macs. Either I have some incredible misfortune or a majority of Macs are snobs that swear by Steve Job's KoolAid...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

I need to point out, you're comparing XP which is a decade old operating system. Where as we have no idea which version of OSX you're running, could most likely be Snow Leopard or even Lion, which is a very young operating system in comparison.

Note when I got XP for the first time I was running a brand spaking new 1.4ghz P4 with an amazing 1 gig of RAMBUS RAM (oh yeah, RAMBUS... it was the envy). This is the time period we're talking about, this is the hardware the XP was originally designed with in mind (actually earlier hardware, I wasn't an early adopter). It has had 3 service packs to keep it moving along, where as OSX has had complete rebuilds (moving to intel with Tiger in 2005 for example, this is certainly much more than a service pack could be).

And lets not forget what hardware you might be running, you didn't clarify that either.

[edit]
this was @jon.kiparsky, didn't see Curtis' or Lemur's responses

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 03 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#49 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

That's also a good point. Compare a modern machine with a modern OS to another, like for like. Windows 7 has improved on XP in many significant ways.

Ubuntu isn't true Linux? Bite me, I can SSH into my BSD machine and have all the "power" I want without being an elitist prick bent on their own superiority complexes.

Um...is this the thread that you meant to reply to? Nobody's said anything like that at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

I'm running 10.5-something. I don't know which charismatic megafauna that corresponds to. Bought the machine about three years ago.
The XP install I have is the one my employer set up. It's true, I'm not chasing versions here, but my coworkers seem to have the same troubles on more recent machines and installs. It really seems to be a Windows problem, not a version problem.
(or was XP notorious for an inability to keep its pants up when running multiple applications? I never heard about it if it was, I always heard XP was pretty good)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

XP 'was' pretty good

it's 2011 now, we use our computers in a more multi-tasking manner than when XP was originally designed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 03 October 2011 - 02:25 PM, said:

it's 2011 now

WHAT!?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

@jon.kiparsky - Yeah, I was talking about UI customizations, colors, positions, effects, etc. Basically I want to be able to change the colors of my windows (away from the -- imo -- ugly brushed metal look) to something I find more enjoyable. Additionally, I would love it if the dock had an option to work as a normal window and not always be on top. That would add around 50 extra pixels to my screen width without cutting off part of my windows. Furthermore, I would like to change the opacity and background image of the dock and icons. I would also like for my applications to quit when I close the last window I have open for them. I don't want to have to manually quit them. I would like for the clock in the top of the screen to have a calendar in it (like windows and linux do). And I would love it if we could hide the top menu bar (or at least move it).

Other than that, I want to have an easy hotkey combination to lock my screen. Both windows and linux have that and I use it all the time on both, but on mac I had to set up a "hot corner" which turns on the screensaver, and then had to set up the screensaver to kick you into a login window on exit. That seems like a lot of trouble for the functionality I gain.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 03 October 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

What's difficult to customize on the mac? Specifically, since we're talking OS and not machine, what's difficult to customize under MacOS?

Well, the UI for one thing. You have two choices: blue or gray.

UI covers a lot of turf. Can you be more specific? I've never spent a lot of time on the "look" part of the "look and feel" but now I'm curious about it, so maybe I'll go home and mess around with that tonight. What particularly would you want to tweak?

EDIT: crossed w/BetaWar - okay, like I say I haven't really found myself caring about any of that but maybe I'll take a look at it after work.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 03 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

Any time I mention Ubuntu it comes up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

View PostLemur, on 03 October 2011 - 01:34 PM, said:

Sounds like you should write to Dan Savage about that. He's got a whole column for people like you... :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#57 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

Well, as I said, none of that really bugs me either, because I'm not a UI tweaker (my Windows 7 installs are mostly default the same way my mac is). But just because I don't care about it doesn't mean that others don't. Your major options for changing themes is "blue" or "gray." Seriously.

Anyway, I really don't have these problems with running multiple applications like you do. The only times I had that problem was when I was working on an older x86 with 3 GB RAM. With the tools I use, I'd burn through that in no time. We finally got upgraded to x64 + 12GB RAM, and I've had literally no problems (except for when I set a VM to use 10 gigs of RAM, that was dumb).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

@jon.kiparsky - FOr the most part it does what I need it to do, but there are just some things that I think it could do better with. I am not saying that they (Macs) are crap or anything, but for my purposes I tend to prefer either Windows or Linux over them.

I like that I can customize Windows and Linux pretty much however I want to without having to crack the OS in the process. I mean, linux (at least as of Gnome 3) allows you to use Javascript and CSS to customize the skin and layout as well as some actions. It is nice. Windows is also nice because I have noticed a lot of the app that are free on Windows and Linux cost money on a Mac (such as the disk usage analyzer that comes built-in on Gnome systems (perhaps others too). On the app store it costs $10 (and is called DaisyDisk).

To be honest, I wouldn't have half as much of a problem with Macs if they didn't cost so much more than an equivalent Windows machine.

<edit>
This has been a pretty interesting debate so far.
</edit>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 03 October 2011 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostLemur, on 03 October 2011 - 01:34 PM, said:

Sounds like you should write to Dan Savage about that. He's got a whole column for people like you... :)

Probably not a bad thing that I had to look that one up.

Regardless, my primary OS for development, web, servers, and security is by far OpenBSD. Casual browsing and desktop is Ubuntu. I've been playing with the more recent Fedora for a while, I'm becoming a fan of it so far. (Save SELinux hating Google Chrome...)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#60 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

I tried Fedora 15 for a bit. I despised the default window manager, whatever it was. I was just playing around, so I didn't even care enough to figure out what it was.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First