Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Occupy Wall Street

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

I am not disputing the issue of an eroding system leaving nothing in the wake but a police state, but disputing the mechanism of this so called action.

The inherent problem I see is two fold. First all but calling for violent action against "Wallstreet", and second following up this nearly over threat with the inaction of loitering around in front of high rises with no goal or solution other than to be a nuisance. A call to just get in the way for no purpose but to "feel" whole instead of making oneself whole.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

I love revolts and stuff but only when they, you know, will actually do something. Dumping your carcass over wall street isn't going to do much. I'm disappointed in the lack of things burning.

I don't really have a side in this I just want to see stuff break.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 22 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

OK you've succeed in bring down Wall St. Now what's next, occupying the West Bank?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

No.. Bank of the West.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

Americans have little knowledge (or interest) in Politics of other Countries outside their borders, unless the CIA / Arm Dealers can manipulate them into sell the stuff or "winning" reconstruction contracts after various arms of the US Armed Force have blow / bombed the shit and will out them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

Love that fish and chips hyperbole!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

Motivational Opening Paragraph:
All the responses are better than what's typical, guys! Keep it up, you're doing fine! Especially modi! Your borderline delusional-schizophrenic take on written words is always a gas =) Keep the thoughts coming!

I have updates:

A) There's a live stream
First, here's the link to the live`ish feed that I forgot to post:

http://www.livestrea...lobalrevolution

Sometimes it's live and sometimes they playback old interesting stuff. And sometimes it's just dead air =/ No one is holding hands despite some of our wild expectations of how this event will go. I think it was the "hippies" in Egypt that did the hand holding, that's not an American thing from what I'm seeing so far.

B) Here's a link to stay up to date
You can get plenty of updated information here at occupywallst.org https://occupywallst...treet-day-five/

C) Some ppl are confused but it's OK
It seems there's still a bit of confusion about what's really going on. One minute it's a "do nothing party" and the next minute (from the same person) it's some sort of blood frenzied kill fest. I wanna say that's due to some sort of medical condition and you should tell your doctor how you're feeling. I also have a quote that summarizes what organizing and occupying has done in the past, and what it might do in the present/future, but this elaboration is no substitute for professional help.

“When our leaders can no longer be trusted, it becomes the duty of the people to fight for social justice,” Occupy Wall Street explains on its website. “The Arab Spring tactic has proven itself effective in forcing governments to bow to the will of the people. We believe this tactic can also work in America.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.c...t/#ixzz1Yiv2x7x

D) Here's a more current message from day five

This is the fifth communiqué from the 99 percent. We are occupying Wall Street.

On September 21st, 2011, Troy Davis, an innocent man, was murdered by the state of Georgia. Troy Davis was one of the 99 percent.

Ending capital punishment is our one demand.

On September 21st, 2011, the richest 400 Americans owned more wealth than half of the country's population.

Ending wealth inequality is our one demand.

On September 21st, 2011, four of our members were arrested on baseless charges.

Ending police intimidation is our one demand.

On September 21st, 2011, we determined that Yahoo lied about occupywallst.org being in spam filters.

Ending corporate censorship is our one demand.

On September 21st, 2011, roughly eighty percent of Americans thought the country was on the wrong track.

Ending the modern gilded age is our one demand.

On September 21st, 2011, roughly 15% of Americans approved of the job Congress was doing.

Ending political corruption is our one demand.

On September 21st, 2011, roughly one sixth of Americans did not have work.

Ending joblessness is our one demand.

On September 21st, 2011, roughly one sixth of America lived in poverty.

Ending poverty is our one demand.

On September 21st, 2011, roughly fifty million Americans were without health insurance.

Ending health-profiteering is our one demand.

On September 21st, 2011, America had military bases in around one hundred and thirty out of one hundred and sixty-five countries.

Ending American imperialism is our one demand.

On September 21st, 2011, America was at war with the world.

Ending war is our one demand.

On September 21st, 2011, we stood in solidarity with Madrid, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Madison, Toronto, London, Athens, Sydney, Stuttgart, Tokyo, Milan, Amsterdam, Algiers, Tel Aviv, Portland and Chicago. Soon we will stand with Phoenix, Montreal, Cleveland and Atlanta. We're still here. We are growing. We intend to stay until we see movements toward real change in our country and the world.

You have fought all the wars. You have worked for all the bosses. You have wandered over all the countries. Have you harvested the fruits of your labors, the price of your victories? Does the past comfort you? Does the present smile on you? Does the future promise you anything? Have you found a piece? of land where you can live like a human being and die like a human being? On these questions, on this argument, and on this theme, the struggle for existence, the people will speak. Join us.

We speak as one. All of our decisions, from our choice to march on Wall Street to our decision to continue occupying Liberty Square, were decided through a consensus based process by the group, for the group.

Note: Our use of the one demand is a rhetorical device. This is not an official list of demands. Click http://nycga.cc/2011...d-is-a-process/ to learn more about how you can participate in the democratic process of choosing the "one demand".
"one demand".

They're experiencing a lot of traffic right now, so this link, might not go through for you.
I worry that the situation is too complicated over here compared to the way things were in Egypt. The people wanted one thing over there, which was for Mubarak to go, and his cabinet dismantled. Unfortunately over here, our leaders go ever 8 years, and they just get replaced with the same old clony figure head time after time. What do you guys think about the differences between the uprisings of the Arab Spring and the tenability of the protests in the United States?

E) Mainstream media is ignoring Occupy Wall Street. Are they just saving up their strength for the next Tea Party Rally?
link

Keith Olbermann pointed out Wednesday night on Countdown that the major newspapers had been ignoring the five-day-long “Occupy Wall Street” protests, but would have scrambled to cover a similar-sized tea party protest.

“Why isn’t any major news outlet covering this?” he asked. “If that’s a tea party protest in front of Wall Street about Ben Bernanke putting stimulus funds into it, it’s the lead story on every network news cast. How is that disconnect possible in this country today with so many different outlets and so many different ways of transmitting news?”

This post has been edited by NotarySojac: 22 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

This just in, giant text size is the

new CAPS LOCK!!

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 22 September 2011 - 06:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

View PostNotarySojac, on 22 September 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

C) Some ppl are confused but it's OK
It seems there's still a bit of confusion about what's really going on. One minute it's a "do nothing party" and the next minute (from the same person) it's some sort of blood frenzied kill fest. I wanna say that's due to some sort of medical condition and you should tell your doctor how you're feeling. I also have a quote that summarizes what organizing and occupying has done in the past, and what it might do in the present/future, but this elaboration is no substitute for professional help.

It appears you are the one confused. It's a two part issue.

Here's the relevant parts where mention how easily Bin Laden was punished with a pair of bullets.

View PostNotarySojac, on 20 September 2011 - 11:10 PM, said:

We took out Bin Ladin. No trial, just a pair of bullets,

You then go on to indicate that we punish the bad people to an extent of the magnitude of their crimes.

We're obviously not a society that's too overly shy to punish bad people,

Now here is where you insinuate the magnitude of Wallstreet's crimes.

no one is punishing the wrong doers on wall street. They hurt millions.

To sum it up you draw parallels with Bin Laden's two bullet death for the magnitude of his crimes (one person + many deaths = two bullets), and then indicate Wallstreet's magnitude is much larger. Wallstreet (many people) + millions hurt = ??.

To futher drive the point home you are advocating (violent ends to the nebulous Wallstreet) you continue and indicate we should deal with their bodies in the same fashion as Bin Laden's because that's what is needed - the pound of flesh back.

We need to process and dump the proverbial bodies out at see [sic][/u] so we can move on as a society.

You end with a very quid pro quo statement further reinforcing the point about Wallstreet needs to suffer as they have made the common man suffer.

We need to send a message[/u] to would-be wrong doers that, "If you fuck us, you will be fucked back"

When I first read it - all seemed pretty pointed and compact to me, but then I find the movement is not for pitchforks and "rabble rabble rabble" but in fact "Occupy Wallstreet". You are going to have a mass of bodies doing nothing in front of wallstreet but inconveniencing corporate suits' walking patterns. No agenda... no solutions... no alternatives - just occupy space and sucking in that lovely city air.

See.. see how that creates an M.Night Shyamalan twist there? On one hand you are calling for the swift end to Wallstreet - blood and frenzy, but the shock ending is "loaf and loiter on Wallstreet". I found the juxtaposition interesting enough to ask how that is reconciled.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

So some hippies are singing Kumbaya on Wall street. All they are doing is entertaining the workers as they walk to lunch.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

E) Mainstream media is ignoring Occupy Wall Street. Are they just saving up their strength for the next Tea Party Rally?

followed by...

QUOTE FROM MAINSTREAM MEDIA

the sigh of the oppressed creature.

This post has been edited by dorknexus: 22 September 2011 - 11:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

This Just In,
Colored font is now the new super big text!

Modi: Dangerous to humanity on a national level, but fun on forums
lol modi, reading your knights-move reinterpretation of what is otherwise a poignantly benign observation is like going through the unibomber manifesto, only I get to read it before you've set any bombs off! Tell me, what kinds of things does Michele Bachmann say? What is she telling you to do? Please tell me you have it all scribbled down somewhere, pinned safely to a series of cork boards! Upload photos! We won't tell all your secrets to your enemy.

Lawl at Current TV as "The Mainstream"
Lol... the assertion that Al Gores' cable network... is "The Mainstream"... is so funny... it made me have to go poop.

What did mainstream coverage actually look like day one?
Anyone care to see the mainstream media's initial take on wall street? Here's some of the mainstream's (not Current TV, lol) zero day material.

Businessinsider (lawl, don't they have the scoop)

...Endorsed by the hacking group Anonymous, the police were taking no chances. But looking at an army of bored officers racking up overtime, the general response was summed up by one young New York City officer, Phoney McMadeup: "If you find the protest, let us know, because we haven't heard a thing about it since we got here."

CNN: The Ugly Girls in the Morning Show

Here's RT, if that counts as mainstream Wall Street coverage

That's pretty much all there was... Other than a passing reference from Michael Moore about the protest on an MSNBC show...

zomg, so much has happened this weekend!
The mainstream is starting to pick up on the protest... because things are getting more violent. The police trapped a group of girls using orange fencing and then began macing them!

During an unsanctioned march from Liberty Plaza to Union Square (~1 mi) the police became violent and arrested, en masse, anyone who was at Union Square (violently taking approximately 80 people into custody). An old officer (white shirts) applied mace to a group pinned behind orange fencing. One of the less obvious things about mace is that it's not just effective on eyes, it is also very effective on the sensitive nose and lungs of the subject.

Seeing that bummed me out, but the recklessness of the officers indicates that they're getting worried. They can't afford to keep guarding the protest forever. The bankers must be terrified of what might happen when police state money runs out. Modi, use your imagination on this post and tell me what will happen to banking and finance executives.

Here's a quote from the Guardian (even more mainstream than Current TV, lol)

...the officer, named by activists as deputy inspector Anthony Bologna, stands accused of false arrest and civil rights violations in a claim brought by a protester involved in the 2004 demonstrations at the Republican national convention.

Then, 1,800 people were arrested during protests against the Iraq war and the policies of president George W Bush...

She continued: "In the street I shout for water to rinse my eyes or give to the girls on the ground. But no one responds. One of the blue-shirts, tall and bald, stares in disbelief and says, 'I can't believe he just fuckin' maced her.'"

Read more at: http://www.guardian....anthony-bologna

Interview from Day Nine
Chris Hedges did an interview from Liberty Plaza. He says some pretty cool things, I suggest you take a look at it even if you're only following this thread in the hopes to score some shots against me.

media

This post has been edited by NotarySojac: 26 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

One of the less obvious things about mace is that it's not just effective on eyes, it is also very effective on the sensitive nose and lungs of the subject.

So? it's not deadly. I hate how the police will do something like this, and everybody goes crazy on a "fuck the police" rant, whereas if some random citizen did that to another citizen, nobody would have cared and MAYBE, it would have been on the 9-o'clock news for a short 2 minutes. Please are just looking for reasons to hate the police.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

The man wants to oppress us! Fight the power!

In all seriousness the world is far more boring than all these would be conspiracists and activists would have you believe.

In regards to unemployment a more correct number would be ~18%, we've always been quoting the G-3 index rather than the far more accurate G-6. The difference? G-6 accounts for discouraged workers who no longer try and get a job. I would say that's relevant to unemployment...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »