216 Replies - 9908 Views - Last Post: 16 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Occupy Wall Street

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

Posted Image

Need I say more?

View PostNotarySojac, on 08 December 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

Obama gave a speech on the 6th with, imo, a radically different tone acknowledging the situation.

Lot's of new phrases in there:

"Those at the top"
"everybody else"
"too many families... debt"
"harsh reality"
"house of cards" (I love how the volume gets quieter at this point)
"under standum? (does he mean fraud??)"
"caused discussion among people running for president!"
"collective amnesia"
"stacked the deck against the middle class"
"when everyone does their fair share, when everyone plays by the same rules"
"[these values are shared by the 1% and the 99%] (barf)"

I can't hear his damn voice over my fan on this dumb laptop so w/e, but I think it's good that the president, in spite of all his > $4,154,235 campaign contributions from wall street, is still able to give an honest speech about the situation in America. Good on him.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#212 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

Actually... yes you do need to say more. Otherwise you are implying that you are suspect of Obama and feel he may do the same things Hitler did. In which case, claiming they are both good at speaking is not proof of such.

If you are not implying that; than what is the point of saying it? To merely point out coincidence with out implication? "Did you know that both the sky and my car are blue?"... wow, ok, so what?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

I love when people pull the "Hitler gave great speeches card" because I know exactly whose political points I never have to take seriously.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

To be fair, he didn't really make a point, political or otherwise, to be ignored. He just posted some image he ran across on the intartubez and decided that it represented his nebulous notion so well that posting it sans additional commentary would deliver his view adequately.

Lord was more to the point: actions speak much louder than words. Anyone can give a great speech (practically no president since Coolidge has written their own speeches) but first you have to actually believe in what you're saying and then, if possible actually do it (which, for a president with a dysfunctional Congress, isn't a given by any stretch). Obama can stretch presidential fiat in the face of a gridlocked, inactive Congress only so far.

What I'm surprised about is that given Obama's ability to turn a phrase that he hasn't pulled a Reagan and tried to go around the Congress and appeal directly to the American public to call their Congressman to support his legislation. I didn't vote for the man but he can deliver a speech with the best of them and, for a time anyway, he had the backing of a huge chunk of the American populace. That he never parlayed that into anything more substantial than his half-assed abortion of a health care plan (and it IS half-assed) seems to validate the argument that we can't afford a political neophyte as President.

But what he needed to do was call all the networks and claim air time (he can do that) and deliver a 30 minute explanation of his plans...and then exhort the populace to call their representatives to demand they get off their collective asses and start actually fucking doing the job they were elected to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

View PostCraig328, on 12 December 2011 - 08:20 AM, said:

What I'm surprised about is that given Obama's ability to turn a phrase that he hasn't pulled a Reagan and tried to go around the Congress and appeal directly to the American public to call their Congressman to support his legislation. I didn't vote for the man but he can deliver a speech with the best of them and, for a time anyway, he had the backing of a huge chunk of the American populace. That he never parlayed that into anything more substantial than his half-assed abortion of a health care plan (and it IS half-assed) seems to validate the argument that we can't afford a political neophyte as President.

But what he needed to do was call all the networks and claim air time (he can do that) and deliver a 30 minute explanation of his plans...and then exhort the populace to call their representatives to demand they get off their collective asses and start actually fucking doing the job they were elected to do.

You make a good point about Obama's ability to move people in speech. I remember him pulling somewhat of a 'Reagan' but it was for a the non-issue of routinely incrementing the debt ceiling.

Telephone calls and emails flooded into the Capitol Tuesday, overwhelming the phone system and slowing computer servers after President Barack Obama urged voters Monday night to support the Democrats’ debt-ceiling plan.

Read more at: http://pjmedia.com/t...tegy-backfires/

So I guess that would suggest that he has the potential, but he may be uninterested in making political progress regarding present day concerns.

On a side note, I just read the most absurd headline yet, relevant to Occupy WallStreet Movement --this one regarding the Seattle Protest, which is a part of the effort to halt cargo in ports along the West Coast.

"Ordained Minister Says Cops Punched Him In The Face While He Was On The Ground At Port Of Seattle"

:sadlike:

This post has been edited by NotarySojac: 15 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

maybe he should pray for revenge.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

hitchens death has reminded me that you aren't too far off.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • « First