• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

52 Replies - 1800 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What would you do to fix the economy?

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:25 PM

Everyone seems to have ideas on fixing the economy. For every idea someone has, someone else has equally good arguements against it. So I thought it might be fun, (and start a few good arguements) to hear a few of your ideas.
I myself would:

1. Legalize pot.
By making weed legal it would take money out of drug dealers hands. The government could open cigarette factories, and start selling weed like cigarettes. They would control the amount of THC, and be able to sell packs of weed that could compete with street prices, thus illiminating the need to buy it on the corner. Building/Operating the factories would also create jobs. You have booze... you can have weed.

2. Drug dealers, waitresses, pizza dilvery people, hair stylists, the self employed, and a shit load of other people simply do not report their true income. How can we combat this? Get rid of income tax all together. I would impliment a 25% sales tax on everything. You can make as much as you want, but you have to spend money sometime. 25% sounds like a lot? On average, across the U.S. you have 23% of your check taken with state, federal, medicare, ss... I would only be asking for 2% more. This would fund everything you pay taxes for now. After the economy is back on track, it can be reduced 2% per year until you end up with a 15% tax that should by some experts be enough to fund the government.

3. If you ended income tax, that would put everyone that works for the IRS out of business, right? No. They would have new jobs. In the states that have military bases the IRS would be responsible for military spending. That would put an end to $300 hammers, and $600 toilet seats... they would have to approve any monies spent before the military is allowed to buy it. In the states the do not have military bases, the IRS would start going after everyone that owes the government money. No more settling IRS debts for pennies on the dollar. They can work deals and payment plans, but their job would be to get every dollar that is owed.

4. All car manufacturers would be required to make electric cars that recharge themselves. It shouldn't be that hard to put an extra pulley on the engine that runs to a generator, or cut slits in the hood and front quarter panels and put mini wind turbines in them that can produce electricity to keep the battery charged. This would in about ten years end the dependance on gas. It would create jobs, (someone has to install the generators/turbines) and keep money in americans pockets.

Now this plan may or may not work, and I'm sure some of you are rolling your eyes... so tell me what's right/wrong with these ideas, and also lets hear what you would do.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What would you do to fix the economy?

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What would you do to fix the economy?

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

sell dirty pictures.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 DimitriV  Icon User is online

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

Whatever it takes, as long as its justifiable and the citizens get a say in it.
I'm that kind of person.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

@Whizzy you're overlooking the good idea of replacing sales tax with VAT, which would get income for the government at a much lower rate (typically around 7-15%) but at every level of financial transaction, rather than all from the end user. In a VAT system, importers and producers of raw materials are charged VAT when they sell that raw material, the people who turn that raw material into primary products are charged vat when these are sold, the end manufacturers are charged, and then the end users are charged- but the amount is, overall, much smaller, and so is more fair at every level. New Zealand is a good example of a country using this kind of system, they have what is popularly known as the 'most fair tax system in the world'.

About legalizing drugs: If you're going to do it, legalize all of them, exonerate the non-violent drug offenders in prisons (and expunge their records) because that will instantly lower the amount of money needed to incarcerate people, allow resources to be concentrated where they are needed (for example, to reconditioning inmates who are going to re-enter society or to treat the conditions that may, in some cases, have led to their incarceration). Portugal and Spain have both done this now- you can legally buy cocaine in Spain- and their drug use, overall, has decreased, the drug market has been securely yanked out of the hands of organized crime and regulated, the standards of the recreational drugs have increased... there has been no downside. The only argument that you can make that america should keep drugs illegal, in light of this evidence, is that Americans are fundamentally inferior to Spanish people in some way, and yet nobody has brought this to the attention of the tea party yet. Then again, the US has the tea party; maybe that means we are.

Okay, now for a point or two of my own:

1: A double tax on non-renewable energy generation (and a pollution tax on top of that), which will subsidize solar power generation (where appropriate, the western states stand out as good examples) using the solar thermal power generation techniques that have been pioneered in Spain (again! maybe they are better than us, we'd better work our asses off if we don't want to live with that over our heads!) that allow for a single solar-thermal power plant to generate electricity 24 hours a day.

2: A restructure of welfare that would allow for anyone to get on it- easily- but for a maximum of 2 years (except in special circumstances, in that case, a maximum of 5 years), at which point, all of the help from welfare must be repaid in some fashion. Don't think this would have a negative effect on people, for example, with physical disabilities or medical conditions, because that's covered by

3: Free healthcare, subsidized by pharmecutical companies who, if they want a lower tax rate, can simply supply the drugs, surgical implements, necessary staff, and even the facilities- as it were, pro bono. This would get around the problem of pharmecutical pork-barrel lobbying that has crippled the Obamacare bills by requiring that the government pay whatever price the pharmecutical companies demand, while at the same time giving them a good trade off with which they can increase their earnings.

4: a policy of Subsistence in all government organizations. All government agencies would be funded, to a degree that would vary depending on a variety of factors, by their actual earned income. Police departments would be funded, for example, by things such as speeding ticket fines (the money from which would also be used in defending the tickets in court cases, as a balance to help prevent predatory ticketing). The SEC would derive its income, in whole or in part, from the amount of money used in larcenous trades that was not awarded to any victim.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:33 AM

Some fine ideas here, In Australia about 15 years ago John Hewson tried to bring in a 10% GST (goods and services tax) of a flat 10% on everything, that would replace the current sales tax system and income tax. It was an awesome model, but unfortunately people are stupid and the opposition ran a smear campaign that convinced Johnny Lunchbox that everything was just going to go up by 10%. This is a good example of why stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote or drive or talk out of turn.

But I am interested in this self charging car. Are you suggesting that a battery inside the car runs an electric motor and at the same time recharges itself via a pulley attached to that motor (which I assume, in turn, runs an alternator, which is just an electric motor driven at it's output end) or via an array of wind turbines inside the body? Why don't we just build perpetual motion engines and run everything off those?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

One idea would be to cut spending for alphabet agencies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:19 AM

I don't care what they do, just gimme my job back. ;_________;
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:24 AM

We need a giant "reset" button that will reset all world debt.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

If solely on a federal level:
  • Cut defense spending by 1/4 (for 2010's budget, that'd be $171B less spending)
  • Provide tax rebates to any American firm engaged in renewable energy as long as the profits taxed (for which the rebate is applied) is directly sourced from renewable energy R&D, construction or generation. Make similar concessions to Detroit automakers for cars exceeding 50mpg and electric/alternative fuel vehicles
  • Sink $80B of the defense budget savings into infrastructure improvement contracts awardable ONLY to American companies that will be employing American workers (fix the roads/rail/bridges and cut unemployment)
  • Enact legislation to make employment of an illegal worker a felony offense with attendant stiff fines (no need to build a fence along the southern border if there's no jobs waiting for those who cross)
  • Greatly expand the visa and immigration quotas for Central America to encourage legal immigration (increase the number of taxpayers)
  • Immediate tort reform with "loser pays" provisions
  • Decriminalize marijuana with attendant taxation and strict regulation much the same as domestic alcohol production enjoys (whiskey sales in liquor store = okay...moonshine still in backwoods Arkansas = bad)
  • OR scrap entire income tax code in favor of a Flat Tax variant or a commerce tax (VAT) AND pass legislation that pegs the federal budget as a percentage of the GDP. If the economy doesn't rise, neither does the federal budget.
  • Make any subsequent legislative changes to the tax code subject to a supermajority vote (67% - 90%)

There are pages and pages more things for long term stability and growth...but those would kick the economy in the ass immediately.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 22 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:04 AM

But the defense has already been cut.... ;___;
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:04 AM

How about paying congressmen and senators the national or state average wage, then see how hard they work for the "average" guy.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

Craig basically suggested most of the things I was going to...

Either Craig's a hippy, or people are wrong to call me a super-liberal.

View Posthookiethe1, on 22 September 2011 - 02:04 PM, said:

How about paying congressmen and senators the national or state average wage, then see how hard they work for the "average" guy.

Or let's go the 'tea party' way, where they want things to be like it's the 18th century, and pay congress NOTHING. It's their privilege to get to be there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

It just baffles me that these guys can make hundreds of thousands, and have travel and expense accounts, do very little work, and still claim to be in touch with the people they represent.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:25 AM

My daddy always used to say, never discuss politics or religion with friends. Sagely advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:31 AM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 22 September 2011 - 08:25 AM, said:

My daddy always used to say, never discuss politics or religion with friends. Sagely advice.

Yeah because trying to convince others of things is completely stupid, we should not talk to one another and let the government do all the discussing among our peers for us.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »