12 Replies - 1305 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Arbitration

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

Well, it seems as if one of my clients is not going to pay me. His request was a PHP program where he can create and manage email forms, which he can then use throughout his site and other websites. I completed the whole project, twice (he was not happy with the first results, and wanted it redone). Now apparently, it isn't working. He's setup with a web host that disallows the usage of chmod, and creates files as read-only. The program stores everything in text files, so this is a problem. He says that he's had enough is not paying me, and reposted the job.

So what should I do? I completed the whole contract, but I suppose in his defense he could claim that I in fact, did not complete the contract.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Arbitration

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Arbitration

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

Ask for all your work back and for it to be taken down off the server. Were text files one of his requirements or yours? If you did this through a freelancing site, do they have any arbitration?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:13 PM

He wasn't specific on how to store data, so I just went with text files because they're pretty much universal.

I'm not sure how I should ask for my work back, that's sorta like sending somebody a picture and asking them to give it back. Yeah they have arbitration, but it gives me the options of just wanting to cancel work or if I've completed 100% of the contract but the employer is not releasing the funds.

In case your wondering, here is the legal agreement:
http://www.vworker.c...ellerLegal.aspx

The final result was turned in on time, but he wanted it redone and me wanting 10 stars decided to do that.

Also, one thing I've overlooked is that this guy has had problems with 13 other workers. Doesn't sound like too good of a client :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

After talking on IRC, I would suggest you try to get a arbitrator from Vworker involved and see where it goes, but from I understand about your situation, I think you are screwed.

he did have problems with 13 other people, but his rating was an 8.3/10 with 38 reviews.

This post has been edited by Gavisann: 23 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

Were databases not an option? With PHP, that's a natural first choice. Was he willing to have you add a database for payment?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

I never brought it up, or considered it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

When working with web applications, start with the database. A lot of times even when working with non-web applications, start with the database. You might shoot the guy a message and talk with him about that and see if you can come to some sort of agreement. Get an arbitrator involved as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

I asked if he had a mysql database that could be used for storing data. I don't wish to get an arbitrator involved quite yet though, until he replies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 rgfirefly24  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:45 AM

Personally, I think your way past the point that you should be bringing in an Arbitrator. He's not only said he isn't going to pay you, but he has reposted the job. At this point, I am not sure he's going to be willing to listen to anything less then Arbitration.

This post has been edited by rgfirefly24: 28 September 2011 - 05:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

If you have the project working, push it to arbitration. Then a moderator of the site will test your presented code. If it works for them, they will tell him that you (the coder) completed the project to the specs that were requested & required as per the job bid.

If he's unhappy with that, well, then he should have been more specific about the production environment when he setup the job bid.

If your code works, don't give in & lose out.

**Edit Verbage**
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

I lost. Lesson of the day: Don't apply for jobs from employers with bad English and more than 25% arbitration rate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 08 November 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

I lost. Lesson of the day: Don't apply for jobs from employers with bad English and more than 25% arbitration rate.

Whether you win or lose isn't that important. The fact is the he did not pay you for duties performed thus you SHOULD ask for your work back and have him remove it. If they intend on using the product anyway than you are liable for compensation.

If you spent 2 years building a car for someone and they took it without paying for it and said how bad it was, would you allow them to keep the car anyway? I think not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

If this guy is being a jerk, tell him you want your work to be deleted from his computer/server. You hold the copyright to the software, so don't hesitate to demand that it be deleted (as you said, it doesn't really make sense to ask for it to be 'returned').

You probably feel like you've been ripped off, but if you can move on, do it. You could also talk to the guy and try to get it compatible with his web host if you're up for trying again and if he hasn't totally given up on you. I would try explaining everything to him.

Your other options:

:gunsmilie: :gun_bandana: :surrender: :bananaman:

:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1