10 Replies - 782 Views - Last Post: 26 September 2011 - 01:14 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where Should I Begin?

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

I'm kind of new to programming, with my knowledge consisting of basic HTML and CSS. But I was hoping to work on programming and designing some games in my spare time and I simply have no idea which coding language I should begin with! I'm quite willing to do my own research on the tutorials and whatnot section of this site, but I think narrowing it down to one or two to begin with might best preserve my sanity... so any specific language(s) you guys would suggest for a complete beginner? Things I can have trial and error with and quickly see what works and doesn't would work best for me at this point, I think.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where Should I Begin?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where Should I Begin?

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

See FAQ #20

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated Sep 2011

Spoiler

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Sep 2011
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

View Postmugenginga, on 24 September 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

I'm kind of new to programming, with my knowledge consisting of basic HTML and CSS. But I was hoping to work on programming and designing some games in my spare time and I simply have no idea which coding language I should begin with! I'm quite willing to do my own research on the tutorials and whatnot section of this site, but I think narrowing it down to one or two to begin with might best preserve my sanity... so any specific language(s) you guys would suggest for a complete beginner? Things I can have trial and error with and quickly see what works and doesn't would work best for me at this point, I think.

Thanks!

Why do you not trust your own research skills? Just look at what's out there, have a go and see what you get along with! We all had to do it, and yes, it is time consuming. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

Pick a programming language, preferably one that you can understand and like. C/C++ are the industry standard when it comes to programming games but games can be made with other languages. Just don't start game programming until you understand the language of your choice. Trying to learn the nuances of a programming language and game programming at the same time is just asking for trouble. Good beginner languages include C#, Java and Python. You can also use C++ because if you want to get into the industry you will need to learn it. I said those languages because they are popular, there is plenty of reference materials available, and they all have excellent libraries for making games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

tlhIn`toq - Thanks for the really detailed answer, I suppose I wasn't being flexible enough in my wording as I poked around the site. But it gave me some things to consider and was probably the best answer!

Butch - I trust my research skills just fine, I just wasn't sure where to start. See I intend on learning at least C++ but I wasn't sure if that was a low enough level for my abilities giving how much of an industry standard it is. But thanks for your input!

Six - Super grateful for your helping narrow it down a bit. I think I'm going to start with C# as I see it coming up a lot and you mention its a good beginner's language. I'll look for some simple non-game related activities I can use as learning tools.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

View Postmugenginga, on 25 September 2011 - 12:17 AM, said:

Butch - I trust my research skills just fine, I just wasn't sure where to start. See I intend on learning at least C++ but I wasn't sure if that was a low enough level for my abilities giving how much of an industry standard it is. But thanks for your input!

Also, if it's any help don't ignore C either. I work with is a lot! ;)

This post has been edited by ButchDean: 24 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:32 AM

Also just to expand the question a bit to save a thread,

once you've learned quite a bit of the language you want, i.e for me C++, what else should you consider? getting into an API? like learning Windows API or directX? or do you recommend playing around with game engines and other API's?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:41 AM

There is no set way to learn how to program games. At work when we discuss how we developed our skills we actually all did it differently. One thing I will say though is that the ones who made it into the industry dove right in without the baby steps and sucked up the difficulties that come along with programming games and learned to overcome them. For anyone to say there are steps beyond becoming proficient with a programming language like C/C++, then an API and game programming theory - it become debatable to my mind and many others.

The key, as this is a message that I am always trying to get across, is to see what is out there, read up on it, research techniques, and have a go at writing a DIFFERENT game! That is the only way you will become good.

Lecture over. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:24 PM

I don't know. I think that you should at least have an understanding of the language that you are going to work with before you start game programming. Trying to learn the two at once can cause frustration and abandonment of it all.

I definitely agree though that the best way to learn game programming is to make games. Try different things and if you can't figure something out research it or ask questions on a forum like this one. The answer is out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the input guys, think I'm going to get really competent with C++ to start with and then branch off to an API or graphics library.

I think I definitely need to brush up on the maths though :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

Sounds like a plan. Good luck! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -