4 Replies - 302 Views - Last Post: 26 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

What do you like best about XNA?

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:13 PM

XNA has really grown and taken off from its humble beginnings. It quickly became my favorite framework for creating games. Microsoft has done an excellent job with XNA. I thought I'd ask my fellow D.I.C. heads: What do you like best about the XNA framework?

My favorite has to be SpriteBatch. It is just an awesome class and makes rendering 2D images exceptionally easy. It has really grown since XNA began. I love the changes they made to SpriteBatch in XNA 4.0. Replacing the old SpriteBlendMode enumeration with a class to control rendering was an awesome idea. I also like that you can now use HLSL more easily when drawing in 2D, though I've yet to have the chance to try it. I also like that they included a fix to "bleeding" when working with sprite sheets and scaling/rotation.

I'm actually looking forward to trying XNA with VB.NET when Microsoft launches that. I'm a die hard C# programmer, coming from my C days, but it will open the door of game programming to a whole other branch of programmers. Many find the C-style syntax of C# hard to digest and like the more English style syntax of VB.NET.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What do you like best about XNA?

• mov dword[esp+eax],0
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What do you like best about XNA?

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:50 PM

I love the matrix and vector functions that make it really easy to set up and work with 3D views.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

I just love how all the boring bits are done for you eg. creating the window, setting up the rendering pipeline etc etc.
XNA allows me to just focus on the logic, which allows me to make a bigger\better game quicker instead of fiddling with low level intricacies :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

Yes, I like how much of the work is done for you with XNA. The Content Pipeline is another favorite area of mine when it comes to XNA. It makes it so much easier to read in your game content and even extend it if it doesn't do exactly what you want it to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

IntermediateSerializer. Not sure it's my favorite, but it's definitely very high on the list. This beautiful thing makes dealing with xml SO easy it practically does everything for you. I'm a big fan of using xml to make reading in data and saving data, and the fact that there is a class that handles it so effectively and easily is a big deal to me.

"XML is like violence, if it doesn't solve your problem, then you're not using enough of it."

Here's the t-shirt.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 26 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1