7 Replies - 976 Views - Last Post: 12 March 2007 - 06:04 AM

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

3/10/07 Global Uprising Day

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:25 AM

I'll condense all of what happened into a paragraph, because half you bishes can't read.

The Chinese People Liberation Army had invaded Tibet in 1949. Over the next 8-9 years, agreement’s were made to preserve Tibet for what it was. It was clear the Chinese would not hold up to any of their agreements and on March 10, 1959 the Dali Lama’s life was feared for. He escaped to India while tons of Tibetans surrounded his compound in hopes of protecting the sacred man. His escape to India was unknown by the Tibetan peoples and they refused to leave their protest/protection. 100,000 or so strong, they were attacked by the People’s Liberation Army and an estimated 430,000 Tibetans were massacred that day (the Chinese claimed approx 87,000 for some reason....), all in the name of the Dali Lama and peace.

The Chinese still occupy Tibet and repress everything that they once were, this is why you might be seeing those "Free Tibet" campaign stuff from time to time the past 6-7 years.

For more information on the campaign: http://www.freetibet.org/

In 1989, the Dali Lama was awarded the Nobel Peace prize and in the year 2000, in memory of the uprising, March 10 was declared Global Uprising day.

We’re celebrating by dressing up as monks in orange robes and getting plastered.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 3/10/07 Global Uprising Day

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: 3/10/07 Global Uprising Day

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:44 AM

I used to work with a someone who was for a short time an english teacher in china, I remember her telling me of one instance where her class and her where talking about Tibet and one of her pupils asked weather Tibet was another country or not, this pupil was then set apon by the rest of his class due to this question. As you see the chinese have been brought up to think that Tibet is china and thus anyone who says otherwise (in schools at least) are beaten in to the right way of thinking.

Your dressing up like monks and getting plastered sounds fun though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pepè Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:09 AM

too much reading
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:10 PM

I am speechless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

You've crossed the line.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• pen and paper slave

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:26 AM

The last time I read about this was when China invited the Dalai Lama to visit Tibet and somehow settle a few things. But I guess the Dalai Lama is fearing for his life if he did come. Well he should be. Back in the '90s a female monk was arrested for shouting "Free Tibet!" on the streets. She was tortured to near death. Had herself tied upside down naked. The military electrocuted her through her clitoris.

I hope I had everything spelled correctly.

This post has been edited by maggie_noodles: 10 March 2007 - 04:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:14 AM

Celebrating? Interesting word for such a day...
It's nice that you try to raise attention, but I think it isn't enough. It should be connected with things like the Students for a Free Tibet do under their No Luv 4 Google initiative. Unless multinational companies stop doing business with them, they don't care what a bunch of kids do on the streets (and people might think about them), and big companies don't care either unless their financial interests are hurt.
Google is not the only one ( you probably heard about the Yahoo and Google scandals when they were heralding themselves as the protectors of free speech in the "West" and at the same time giving out private information of bloggers to the Chinese government, who were actually put shortly after into prison ), but they were the first that I remembered.
Please, don't get me wrong, I really support the effort of spreading the information, but I think that it must be more than a celebration / party, you must educate people what they can do to change this situation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:04 AM

View Post1lacca, on 10 Mar, 2007 - 06:14 AM, said:

Please, don't get me wrong, I really support the effort of spreading the information, but I think that it must be more than a celebration / party, you must educate people what they can do to change this situation.

Celebrating is far from the word, just trying to an a few lines on nonsense humor at the end as to not bore the usual DIC repliers. :P

If anyone is interested more in the situation, for real though, I'm sure you could talk to either myself or 1lacca about it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1