6 Replies - 5203 Views - Last Post: 03 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

graphic design as a career?

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hello, I was thinking about getting into graphic design as a career once I go back to college. But I really wanted to know how long would it take (in years) to become a graphic designer? What type of classes would you have to take in college to become a graphic designer? Would it take about two or maybe four years to receive a bachelors?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: graphic design as a career?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: graphic design as a career?

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

I would assume it would take the normal amount of time dependent on the college and your ability to take classes, but your average bachelors is fours year and up.

What sort of classes? I would suggest looking at various school's sites and seeing what is involved. The usual art classes, designerconcepts, and theory.
http://www.artinstit...gn-courses.aspx
http://theartdepartm...l-time/overview

etc...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

That depends on your interests and professional goals. If youíre interested in applying to a management position in the future, a bachelorís degree will help besides covering various aspects of the subject. Iím interested in web design and reading a few reviews of California College San Diego give me the impression that the college might be a good fit for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

I am a graphic designer at a small company... I found the job on craigslist.. with no formal education in the field... (I was a philosophy major). But I love it, and I've been doing it since I was a kid, so just putting together a portfolio of my work was enough. I also was the graphic designer for my school's outdoors recreation department. See if you can get a start on campus with one of the departments that needs advertising. Having a couple years of experience is all you'll really need to become pretty marketable in the field if you're planning on having graphic design be your career. 0_0
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Hi black_yurizan,

To be honest, it takes as long as you make it take assuming you are good enough :)
There are plenty of design blogs, books and forums out there with tips on layout and design.

Before I became an Illustrator, I took a Graphic Design course at my local community college (2 year course) I actually don't remember much I learned from the course, the reality is, the degree is just formal training, and so that would take you 4 years, but if you can get by HR's "keywords" by say, applying to a small company where they would likely judge you by your portfolio, I think you could probably start working even today, and work your way up.

Here are some cool resources I've used for inspiration and layout basics:
http://designshack.net/
http://dribbble.com/

By the way, learning some HTML and CSS will also get you a long way, most of the "big" graphic designers are not being hired for just design per se anymore and knowing how to format for print doesn't seem to be enough as a lot of communication has transitioned to web and mobile
Check out lynda.com for tutorials on programs like dreamweaver and html tips etc.

Hope this helps :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

you need four years for bachelors ..
but if you have done some short courses you can easily make money online by free lancing..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

Becoming a graphic designer is more about skill than degrees. If you want to be in an editorial position one day, you will likely need a degree. However, If you just want a job, I would recommend getting used to Adobe technology as that is industry standard. Photoshop, Indesign, possibly illustrator and Bridge if you will be dealing with photos.

I've taken courses in graphic design previously, and although the course does teach you the technicalities of design, the more important part it teaches you are the principles of design and what appeals to the eye. Anyone can learn to use design technology;The challenge of design is to create images which appeal to the eye at a deep and base level. If you don't learn it from someone who already knows design, it could take much longer to learn how to create good design. In short, a course is a good idea, if not a full degree.

Good day!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1