Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: textbox aligning

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:14 AM

TRY to use CSS positioning with the left , right and top in it
in the tags of your input boxes or the words and tell me if it helps you out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:48 AM

View Postiheartbreakz, on 30 September 2011 - 05:29 AM, said:

I tried changing 10 to 5 but it screwed everything up

looks like 6em or 7em would do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

making it less than 8em screws the last box up

ul {
    list-style-type: none;
	margin-right: 160px;
}

label {
    float: left;
	margin-left: 100px;
	text-align: left;
    width: 8em;
}

live preview: technosupport.info/upload

PROBLEM SOLVED: i used margin-left and margin-right to fix the problem.. is my css good? or should i edit it

This post has been edited by iheartbreakz: 30 September 2011 - 08:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

View PostLemur, on 29 September 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

NEVER use tables for anything.

Regardless... Using an unordered list will work fine. If you have issues then just set label and input to display inline.

In the multimillion dollar company I work for we use tabke all the time to ensure an even look through out all browsers. This includes ie 8 and 9 which tend to have variations on looks. To simply dismiss a table because you don't like to use them tells me you don't like to try new things and yet give negative points for that fact.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

View PostDarenR, on 04 October 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

View PostLemur, on 29 September 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

NEVER use tables for anything.

Regardless... Using an unordered list will work fine. If you have issues then just set label and input to display inline.

In the multimillion dollar company I work for we use tabke all the time to ensure an even look through out all browsers. This includes ie 8 and 9 which tend to have variations on looks. To simply dismiss a table because you don't like to use them tells me you don't like to try new things and yet give negative points for that fact.

I won't turn this into a tables debate, simply know that you are completely wrong on this issue. Look up any of the hundreds of topics already on this subject.

DO NOT turn this into a personal vendetta and DO NOT dare post in the web area again with such misguided notions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

I would like to say well done to the OP for figuring it out (even if your code is a tad messy :P). I would also like to agree with Lemur in that tables are for tabular data.

I could not care a less if your million dollar company is doing it... it is wrong to use a table to layout a website.

EDIT:

"To simply dismiss a table because you don't like to use them tells me you don't like to try new things" What are you on man? Tables.. new things?!?! Now lets try the other way around shall we:

Do not simply dismiss newer concepts such as CSS or even html5 tags because your stuck in the 90s with tables and frames.

This post has been edited by Shane Hudson: 04 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

Just to verify that Lemur says that no one uses or should use tables in the HTML because it is bad practice, I went and viewed source on many highly known websites. Hmm imagine that they almost all used tables. Examples:
Microsoft
Craigslist
Newegg

I guess my table idea is wrong. I am not taking this out on anyone I simply asked if the person tried a table and others decided to agressively attack me so I am simply returning the favor with proof that the majority of highly used websites do indeed layout their items using tables. BTW Lemur one of your sites (personal) has some large write over mistakes when viewed from IE9.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

View PostDarenR, on 04 October 2011 - 05:50 PM, said:

Just to verify that Lemur says that no one uses or should use tables in the HTML because it is bad practice, I went and viewed source on many highly known websites. Hmm imagine that they almost all used tables. Examples:
Microsoft
Craigslist
Newegg

I guess my table idea is wrong. I am not taking this out on anyone I simply asked if the person tried a table and others decided to agressively attack me so I am simply returning the favor with proof that the majority of highly used websites do indeed layout their items using tables. BTW Lemur one of your sites (personal) has some large write over mistakes when viewed from IE9.

This is a joke right? Out of every website on the internet... you decided to support a "best web standards" argument by using Microsoft... no comment needed... and Craigslist which has always been one of the worst designed websites on the web (it never has followed standards). Newegg is very poorly coded... I have no idea why.

EDIT: May I also note that there is probably a very good reason as to why you have never been given positive rep. Probably something to do with hijacking threads (sorry OP!) and talking bogus.

This post has been edited by Shane Hudson: 04 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

View PostShane Hudson, on 04 October 2011 - 05:56 PM, said:

View PostDarenR, on 04 October 2011 - 05:50 PM, said:

Microsoft
Craigslist
Newegg

This is a joke right? Out of every website on the internet... you decided to support a "best web standards" argument by using Microsoft... no comment needed... and Craigslist which has always been one of the worst designed websites on the web (it never has followed standards). Newegg is very poorly coded... I have no idea why.

It's one extreme to another.

Tables are not automatically bad practice. It is the context is which you use them. For instance:

Scenario #1: A Developer is needing to output the results of a query, In order to keep it clean and easy to read he decides to use a table to output the data onto a webpage.

That is appropriate use of the Table tag, Where data is needed to be presented in a tabular format.

Inappropriate usage would be the following:

Scenario #2: A Developer is creating a website for a friend, He decides to create the website using tables and sliced images.

The reason it's inappropriate is because it's not following good practice or standards. The standard these days is to use HTML and CSS typically following the laws of the box model, This is seen as a much more efficent and logical way to create a website.

The idea should be to refrain from being extreme on both sides for example:
The following is NOT implying anyones views, They are examples created to show a point.

BAD = "Tables are useless at everything and should be removed"
BAD = "Tables are the best way to make a layout for a website"

Good = "Tables are the appropriate tag for displaying tabular data, but for many years now there has been no need to use them for layouts anymore"

I really wish this argument would stop reoccurring, It causes so much hostility here.

However I should say this is not necessarily helping the OP, and maybe this sort of arguement should either have a dedicated thread or be dropped.

This post has been edited by Fungle: 04 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:07 AM

"Tables are useless at everything and should be removed" No one has said that. Tables are (albeit really messy) the correct way to semantically mark up tabular data, such as one you would find in a spreadsheet. Not once so far has this been the context.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

I never said the best-- why do you people always add words to my stuff that I never say. I said most highly used. You can also add Highmark health to that list. I just love when you are proven wrong how all of the sudden the websites don't count because you don't like the look. How pathetic.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

View PostShane Hudson, on 04 October 2011 - 06:07 PM, said:

"Tables are useless at everything and should be removed" No one has said that. Tables are (albeit really messy) the correct way to semantically mark up tabular data, such as one you would find in a spreadsheet. Not once so far has this been the context.

It was an example of some extreme views, Not implying that it was the view of anybody here.

DarenR; I didn't mean to say that anyone said those views, It was merely an example.

This post has been edited by Fungle: 04 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

@fungle
I agree 100% with you. I never said you have to use tables all the time, I simplpy asked if he tried using one. And because I asked that question those nice gentlemen decided to give me mulitple negative reputations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:20 AM

In fairness to everybody here; I would say that a fair amount of overreaction has occured, I'll report the thread to a mod to ask that he/she remove the reputation negation from this thread, However, Please be aware that there are rules in the DIC community and these should be followed.

People will differ in views and standards and I would suggest in future that you refrain from taking it as a personal attack, As well as others negative repping for a debate that has been going on for a while.

For now, Please read the rules of the community and your welcome to have a debate, but start a new thread perhaps in the web development forum instead of on other peoples' threads.

This is not aimed at any one person, However the purpose of this particular forum is to assist people with HTML problems, It would be nice if we could all get along and do this without arguments in threads.

This post has been edited by Fungle: 04 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +