3 Replies - 5273 Views - Last Post: 02 October 2011 - 01:04 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is PHP programming or web development?

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

What I wondering is PHP considered programming or web development or both? How does it compare to Java and C++ ? The reason I ask is that I have a Associate's degree in web design and I am getting my Bachelors in web development. Now I am not a designer by any means I love the coding and creating aspect of it all. The real reason for this is I am trying to get a real good idea of what technically "web development" actually is. It seems as though a lot of things get lumped in under web development title.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is PHP programming or web development?

• The Real Skynet
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is PHP programming or web development?

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:47 AM

It's technically both. Web Development in that it's the backend for websites/ web applications, but programming in that it is actual programming (although not as strict as Java).

A lot of people get easily confused as to the difference between Web Development and Web Design. Web Design refers mostly to UI stuff. HTML, CSS, graphics/images, etc. That is what constitutes web design.

Web Development usually refers to the backend. Security, the stuff that powers the site (sessions, logic, etc). If it's a game, all game mechanics fall into this category while the appearance, menus, etc. fall into the Web Design category.

Does that make sense?

This post has been edited by Valek: 02 October 2011 - 01:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:56 AM

Actually yes it does make sense. Thank you! That actually clears up a lot since that is the direction I want to go is the backend stuff which is the development aspect of sites. Thank you again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Real Skynet
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:04 AM

You are very welcome :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1