A place to sync/host files for free

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 6910 Views - Last Post: 03 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

A place to sync/host files for free

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

Since I am having trouble with my PC, I was wondering if there are some place to host files (VS projects and textures, to be precise) synced for free? That should be a private host, not a public one.

I'm not looking for Dropbox, I'm looking for a code hosting site, so don't get me wrong here.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A place to sync/host files for free

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A place to sync/host files for free

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

Most places you have to pay for private repos.

Check out this list to see which sites have private branches.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

Everybody wants everything and they want it for free.

If you need a place to put files because you are having problems with your PC, what's wrong with something like Dropbox? You can back up your project files there.

If you have an Apple me.com account you can set a portion of the iDisk to private.

If you are wanting true code hosting along the lines of GitHub, you might want to accept it will cost you a few bucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

Thanks, Gavisann.

tlhIn`toq, can't afford it, I don't have an income source.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

While that is a shame for you. Really.
That doesn't change the nature of people wanting to get paid for the work and services they provide.

When one can't afford to pay for the exact services wanted, one needs to accept a lesser option even if not ideal. In otherwords "Beggers can't be choosers"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

And to choose that lesser option, you have to either do a research and pick the best available, or pick anything. I'd rather do a research and get the best I can get.
Mind that I never said that it's bad that there are many paid services instead of many free ones or something similar.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

Why does it have to be private? If you're trying to hide terrible code from possible code review, it wont do you much good in the long run. I'm guessing you don't want to host work code or code for a client, because you'd probably have an income source in that case.

Anyways, if you just want to back code up, I suggest a thumb drive. If you can't afford a thumb drive, I'd suggest a small tin cup and a sleeping bag, because you must be doing much, much worse than I ever was before I got a job.

That said, Github Micro plans are $7 a month and allow for 5 private repositories.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:49 AM

I'm 20 and in school, therefore I don't have an income source.

As for the private part - that game might evolve into an income source sometime in the future (even if a small one)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

I'm 20 years old therefore I don't have a job

Really? Is that what you're saying? At the very least you should have been flipping burgers for the last 4 years.

I think it is a sad commentary when a 20 year old feels that just *being* a 20 year old student is a reasonable reason to not work. No wonder there are so many people taking gov't handouts.

Just to counter point your position... My son had his first job (Burger King) at 15. Now a 20 year old student of civil engineering in Brisbane QLD, AU, he has been at the same cell phone store for a year and has won the top sales associate competition twice. Funny that despite his full-load of classes he still manages to work 40 hours a week.

Last year he paid $2,000 for all the parts to build his new home system. He pays for his own cell phone bill. He just bought his first car. Sure its a beater like most kids' first cars. But it gets him to and from. Yes that also means he now pays for his own fuel and insurance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 03 October 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

I'm 20 years old therefore I don't have a job

Really? Is that what you're saying? At the very least you should have been flipping burgers for the last 4 years.

I think it is a sad commentary when a 20 year old feels that just *being* a 20 year old student is a reasonable reason to not work. No wonder there are so many people taking gov't handouts.

Just to counter point your position... My son had his first job (Burger King) at 15. Now a 20 year old student of civil engineering in Brisbane QLD, AU, he has been at the same cell phone store for a year and has won the top sales associate competition twice. Funny that despite his full-load of classes he still manages to work 40 hours a week.

Last year he paid $2,000 for all the parts to build his new home system. He pays for his own cell phone bill. He just bought his first car. Sure its a beater like most kids' first cars. But it gets him to and from. Yes that also means he now pays for his own fuel and insurance.

There are no burger kings or things like that where I live. There are summer jobs at restaurants, but that is only during the summer, and the payment is 200 bucks a month.
During the other 9 months, you can work as a newspaper boy, that job pays 150 bucks/month.
Other than that, you can work in construction (that's why so many new buildings fall down, maybe once every 1-2 months, around here) and get up to 300$/month. That is for lifting blocks and cement 8 hours a day.

Does any of these jobs sound fun to you? Neither of them would even give enough to pay the living expenses, would completely opt me out of what has to be done at home from school, and would take my whole free time I can dedicate to programming.
Would you take any of them yourself? Don't make assumptions without having proper knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:37 AM

What's wrong with being a paper boy? Yeah 150 per month isn't much, but its not like it takes hours of your time every day. Plus the income won't be for living expenses. You seem to be living now with whatever source of money you have. 150 dollars per month could at least buy you some file hosting. Or who knows, you may want to save up for a bit and buy something bigger.

Even if you don't like the job, you shouldn't care. It gives you money. Plus having no work experience whatsoever looks pretty darn bad to potential employers. You may spend all of your day programming, but most want to see that you can commit to a job, and stick it out even if you don't like it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

First. Its work. Its not always going to be fun. That's part of where you are going wrong. All in all, those jobs sound like good honest working for a living. At 20 years old you shouldn't expect something fun/glamourous/corporate.

Second. Would I take any of those jobs? Yep. I sure did when I was young. At 14 washing/detailing cars at the local dealership. Worked for a house painter lugging ladders and scaffolding. First one on site to set-up, last one to leave after doing clean up. As a teen I mowed lawns and shoveled snow out of driveways. Then 4 years in the Army when I was old enough. Construction clean up paid for my first used 10 year old GoldWing when I was 23. In my late 20's I sold carpet cleaning system door-to-door. Sold shoes at Sears. Warehouse work for Neiman Marcus. Lugging paper scraps at a mass mailing business. In my 30's I shoveled walnut shells into a water pressure strainer as part of a chemical extraction process. I have worked since I was 14. Whatever job I could get and was happy to be earning a paycheck and proud of myself for doing it. I have been unemployed exactly 2 weeks since I was 16 years old. I am now 45.

TODAY: At 45 years old while earning a good living a programmer, I'm still not too proud to empty the trash 2 days a week at the RV park. Its not

fun
. But it is an extra $100 bucks that I put towards overpayment of my mortgage. I realize that $100 here and $100 there all adds up to not being in credit card debt like most of America. A few extra bucks here and there on my mortgage or car loan translates to THOUSANDS of dollars saved in interest payments... or maybe is a better cut of beef at the store... or maybe taking my wife out to the movies.

Third. Don't talk to anyone here about not having proper knowledge of being young. A good amount of us are easily twice your age. We were all your age once. We've all been there and there is nothing special about your situation. Some people find a way to make it work and some people don't. It's just an indicator of who is a hard worker and problem solver and who isn't.

Forth. You can always join the military like so many others before you. Learn a trade. Learn some life skills. Get a paycheck. Serve your country. Build some self esteem. See the world. Pull yourself out of what you describe as a fairly bad situation, instead of expecting the handout system to pull you out.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

Ryano121: I do have work experience and can show that on papers. When I was 15 or 16 I worked for a few months, until the company bankrupted... That was a PC selling shop. Most of them bankrupted around here during the past few years, by the way.
As for the time part - you gotta show up at 5 in the morning every day, so I would lose around 3 hours of sleep. I don't have a car nor a bicycle, so I might want to show up earlier, as I wouldn't be able to do all the deliveries. My friend worked as a newspaper boy for a few weeks, said they give insane amount of mail, journals and newspapers to deliver. But again, that was a few years ago.

tlhIn`toq: I meant knowledge about me, not about life as being young.
As for the last paragraph - I've no wish to serve my country which I want to get out as fast as possible from. Also why would I do that? They don't pay anything for it. You only have to go if you aren't in school, a lot of people leave this country because they don't want to get shot in Iraq after they finish a university, because they either have no money to study further or they don't want to get a higher school degree. Other people go for higher degrees instead of the army until they are old enough to not be made to serve.

Other than that, I actually wasn't very much surprised by what you wrote, although it was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing. Although we have quite different points of view, but that's not a surprise - times are different, countries are different, culture is different.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

You could look at http://www.assembla.com coupled with TortiseSVN. That is what I'm currently using for SVN on a game I'm working on. You can have a few free private SVNs with them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

I just checked and bitbucket supports unlimited private Git (yes, it supports Git now) and Mercurial repositories now. That's probably your solution.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +