2 Replies - 781 Views - Last Post: 03 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Find the suitable Programming field that i'm interested in

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hi all,
I really love programming. To be specific, i like solving problems, using libraries to perform actions using desktop/console applications which goes into the internals of an operation system or communicates with a database. And i really hope that i can make a career out of it.

But here's a problem. Most of the career opportunities in my country is focused on Web development.

I'm not really into Web development (HTML & CSS part). I can live with Javascript since it's the programmatic part of client side web development.

The bottom line is, i don't like just plotting a markup with HTML or changing a page design using CSS or even dealing with cross-browser incompatibility issues of HTML5 & CSS3. It just not the thing that i'd love working with it (since i believe that i must love my work).

What do you advice me with ? should i stick with only ASP.net and Javascript and not to go so deep in HTML & CSS (I don't say i won't touch it, i'll learn about it. But not as much as i'll in ASP.net or JS) ? or just change course and learn system administration and desktop programming. Knowing that web development is the dominant in my country (which will be kinda risky) ?

I'm really confused and worried about my future so i'd be very grateful if you guys give me a piece of advice.

Thanks

This post has been edited by smokn: 03 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Find the suitable Programming field that i'm interested in

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Find the suitable Programming field that i'm interested in

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

Web development is not web design.

HTML/CSS stuff that makes everything pretty is a part of web design. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm sure if you're working with a company, they aren't going to give you all of the development AND design, they'll split up the work and knowing how you are a web developer, they won't have you designing the site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Find the suitable Programming field that i'm interested in

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

View Postcreativecoding, on 03 October 2011 - 03:43 PM, said:

Web development is not web design.
HTML/CSS stuff that makes everything pretty is a part of web design. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm sure if you're working with a company, they aren't going to give you all of the development AND design, they'll split up the work and knowing how you are a web developer, they won't have you designing the site.

But in most of Web developer jobs qualifications it requires knowledge of HTML & CSS .. Does that mean i don't have to be expert in it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1