2 Replies - 1274 Views - Last Post: 04 October 2011 - 12:03 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programming noob needs help with wxWidgets and Code::Blocks!

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

I took some programming courses in college and am now trying to get back into it. I'm most experienced with C++ and wanted to learn some GUI stuff, so I looked into wxWidgets. I've installed all of the necessary components (following a how-to guide online) and am just getting started with tutorials for it and I have come across a few (probably blatantly obvious) questions that none of the tutorials seem to cover. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, when I start a new wxWidgets project it always begins with a few folders and some code already written. There's the "Sources" folder with "GUIFrame.cpp" "testApp.cpp" and "testMain.cpp" the "Headers" folder with "GUIFrame.h" "testApp.h" "testMain.h" and "wx_pch.h" the "Resources" folder with "resource.rc" and the "Others" folder with "WxWozFrame.fbp." What are these files? Which one(s) should I be writing in for my program? Or should I be creating a completely new file? I assume that it's either the "App" file or the "Main" file in the "Sources" folder that I should be writing in. Do I keep all the code already in there if I copy-paste test code into it? Or should I delete it? If I keep it, where should my test code go? For example, if I were to want to input this sample code into Code::Blocks in order to run it and test its result, how would I do so?
Spoiler

Also, when I first opened a wxWidgets project in Code::Blocks a popup appeared telling me something to the effect of "codeblocks does not know the global compiler variable." Later on when I closed Code::Blocks, reopened it, and opened a new wxWidgets project the message had disappeared and I haven't seen it since. Is this a problem I should be concerned about? Or did it fix itself? If it is something that needs to be fixed, how do I fix it?

Any help you can give me is appreciated. I'm very eager to start implementing this GUI stuff since there's a project I've undertaken that pretty much needs it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming noob needs help with wxWidgets and Code::Blocks!

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming noob needs help with wxWidgets and Code::Blocks!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

For you:
http://www.catb.org/...ions.html#forum

For everyone else:
http://forums.devshe...cks-853031.html
http://www.rohitab.c...and-codeblocks/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Programming noob needs help with wxWidgets and Code::Blocks!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

I'm afraid I don't understand...have I done something wrong? I checked your link you left for me on how to post questions for review. There was a lot of information so I mostly skimmed the topics and couldn't find anything that seemed to apply. It seemed like your link centered around the "Choose your forum carefully" section. Did I do something wrong there? It didn't seem like I did...the main parts of that section were:

"post your question to a forum where it's off topic" this is in the C and C++ section of the programming help boards. It's my impression that WxWidgets is designed to be a GUI for the C/C++ coding language. Am I incorrect in assuming that?

"post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa" it seems like the "advanced technical questions" on this board should be directed to the C++ subforums. If I posted in the wrong area, where should I be posting my question?

"cross-post to too many different newsgroups" I don't even know what this is...I'm pretty sure I don't have any newsgroups in my post

"post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem" There was no personal email.

Look, I'm not trying to cause trouble or anything. I have a question that I'd like answered, if it wouldn't be too much trouble. If I've made a mistake in how I posted said question, could you tell me how to fix it please?

This post has been edited by Mongrel: 04 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1