230 Replies - 11765 Views - Last Post: 21 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Diablo 3

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

Historical thread

Two bits of news out of the Blizard-Diablo camp. Legit money and constant connections. Are either of these swaying your choice to purchase or to not?

I am not a big fan of playing with people on line so the auction house isn't a problem for me.. though it does provide an interesting dilemma of what to do before I am done playing. Sell all my items and cash out? Maybe have an evening job of just diablo grinding for the auction house.

The constant connection is annoying just because I know how some games f' it up.

Potential release date: January 2012

Big news:

a real money auction house for items.
cite1

New job market!

Blizzard have embraced it for Diablo III, offering up active auction houses for items, split into currency regions where they, of course, take a slice of the pie, but you can freely sell items for real-world money to then pocket or use against your Battle.net account for purchases or usage with other Blizzard products and services.
cite1

Security and no more item robbing.

all transactions within the auction house are part of a secured item transfer system, meaning you no longer need to arrange to go into town and meet your buyer and drop his gear in front of him in a hope he picks it up before someone else does. All trades will also be conducted with anonymity (so you’re invisible during trades, essentially) to maintain the secure aspect of what Blizzard are attempting to do here.
cite1

Give me mah moneys!

One is to simply roll your earnings into your Battle.net account balance, which will obviously net you the highest return, because the second option, which is to physically cash out, will likely set you back extra fees as Pardo revealed they’d be going with an unannounced third-party payment provide (such as PayPal, for example).
cite1

Neither the twain shall meet.

In addition, your items... they’re segregated by the region that you play in, so for example if you have a character in North America, that is different than having a character in South East Asia or a character in Europe.”

cite1

Constant connection to play..

The characters you can create in Diablo III, up to a limit of 10, will be stored on Blizzard's servers, and therefore require a constant internet connection to access.

This applies to all modes of the game, from co-op to player-versus-player to solo play.

This system functions essentially like an MMO, where if your connection is interrupted during a game you'll be dropped back out to the login screen

cite2

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Diablo 3

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Diablo 3

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

God damn it.

I knew they would squeeze irl money out of us some how.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

The constant connection could be a bi*ch if not implemented correctly and well that will depend a lot on the users internet. I am in SA, where our internet is backwards so I am running on 384 kilobits/second. It should be okay, depends how they check if a user is online. If they just send a small packet that pings the user every X minutes, then it could be fine but if its something that actually lags the game then fu*k off. Other than the constant connection idea (which could go either way), really stoked for this game :)

This post has been edited by v0rtex: 01 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

It sounds like the 'constant connection' will register items to you as well as track instantaneous character changes as you go... gaining levels and inventory items... That might be somewhat large of a packet shipment.

What about the poor Canuks who have capped data plans?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

I'll probably buy the game just for shits and giggles. I used to be a huge Diablo II drone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Well, I've done quite a lot in D2, in various communities, but we were more single player focused. Mostly because battle.net was just flooded with dupes and overpowered items, but also because not everyone has 24/7 internet access and it's nice to have a single player game for those times. This "feature" probably breaks D3 for me. And it pisses me off quite a bit because it's completely unnecessary to cut off people from the game like that. I know, I know. This is supposed to fight piracy again. But it's not going to work that way. It never does. People even host their own WoW servers, why should this be any different? All this does is screw over a couple of my friends with limited internet access. And me because D3 is not the kind of game I want to play online. That's the kind of game for a lazy evening when I have no internet access and nothing else going on.

This post has been edited by Nightfish: 01 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, D2 was always my go to game for when I didn't have internet access.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

ive been waiting on D3 sense late 8th grade...so far it seems like a repeat of duke nukem forever. too much funding and too much devolpment time == no product.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

i think the best thing blizzard will get from the constant internet connection is to lower the piracy of the game(something like WoW). Some of the movies i watch show that the game will be more fun if play it online in party with others rather then just you grinding. I hope they do a nice job(as always) and take their time blizzard is always known for slow development time but every game they release is blog buster.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

I don't really care about needing a constant internet connection. I just want D3 to not be like D2 where you're suddenly being murdered by some insanely impossibly perfect character in 0.3 seconds followed by "lol pwnd noob gtfo gg gg gg" and a quick part. Diablo II almost encouraged people to be complete fucking lunatics. In the later years, the game wasn't about having fun completing the game and leveling up, it was about making perfect characters nearly instantaneously.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

More bits and pieces trickling down. The beta has information on what's up... no modding allowed.. skill points are gone.. and the classes are pretty well defined.

The beta itself covers the first eight levels of the game—which apparently can be completed in around an hour if you rush—and lets players use each of the game's five different classes.

You end the beta by defeating the skeleton king
cite

No mods... so stop what you are doing and refocus on something else.

Diablo 3 won't support mods of any sort
cite

I disagree with this.

One of the biggest changes this time around is that there are no longer skill points. Each character has six skill slots, and both skills and slots upgrade automatically as you progress through the game. You can swap skills in and out of slots as you like. The idea behind the change is to make each decision have more impact.

"Would you rather make 20 small decisions or three big ones?" Blizzard's Wyatt Cheng told Joystiq. "What we find, especially when it comes to defining your character, is that three big ones is more interesting and compelling."

There is a rune system, however, to give players more customization options. Runes add effects to skills and can alter their strength, which should allow for a lot of freedom for higher-level players.
cite

Run down of the classes @kotaku

How to be eligible for the beta opt-in..
http://us.blizzard.c...articleId=26886

http://us.blizzard.c...articleId=27087

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 02 August 2011 - 11:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

Wow the 6 skill thing is kind of lame.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

By lame you mean more interesting and compelling then yes!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:55 AM

They should bring back Wirt, the peg-legged boy. That way all those pedophile warriors can have something to be amused about while I am looting.

:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 02 August 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

By lame you mean more interesting and compelling then yes!

When I play an rpg I want my ubercustomizeskillset fix, and this kind of removes that, so it's unappealing to me.

Edit: I do get that selecting 5 20 point skills is equally mind-numbing. There have been many more exciting skill points than both in recent years.

This post has been edited by xclite: 02 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »