• +
  • Last »

104 Replies - 6776 Views - Last Post: 04 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Steve Jobs dies - For real

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:15 PM

RIP Steve, you will be greatly missed :( It's sad, I know how his family is feeling, my grandfather died of the same thing. Steve was too young in my opinion to die :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:18 AM

ďNo one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven donít want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Lifeís change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so donít waste it living someone elseís life. Donít be trapped by dogma ó which is living with the results of other peopleís thinking. Donít let the noise of othersí opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.Ē [Steve Jobs]

Stanford commencement speech, June 2005

Rest in peace ...
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:56 AM

RIP SJ.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:31 AM

I found out about this through ESPN - it is a sad day in Tech
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:58 AM

It's both a surprise and not. No matter what assailed him, you kind of thought he'd figure a way to keep on going.

The dude was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2004. That's not one you usually shake off. There's a five year max on it. I know more about this one than I'd like, it got my dad; less than a year and they caught it "early."

That he held on this long is impressive. People were willing to believe that if anyone could miraculously survive such a health threat, it would be Steve. And he did carry on spectacularly. No one reading this will forget him.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

I'm no fanboi of Apple or Steve Jobs. That said, my first computer was an Apple IIc (1985) and it never gave me so much as a single hiccup. I recall at the time that the styling was nice, it was convenient and could do everything I needed it to do (primarily host Appleworks and their word processor) so I could move somewhat more easily through university essays, papers and graduation theses which it did admirably well.

However, as an innovator, it's often been said that Steve Jobs shamelessly took others' ideas/inventions and repackaged them as Apple/Mac. It's been said often because Steve himself admitted to such many times. It's in this that I think Steve Jobs made his greatest contribution to technology. He saw good ideas, adopted them and thus gave those good ideas a stage upon which to be discovered by the general consumer. We often forget (given what we do for a living) that computers, software, devices and such, while entirely normal and understandable, are often bewildering and complex to many others such that they won't use them...unless they've been presented and packaged in such a way so that even an orangutan with a seeping head wound could instantly "get it". In a nutshell, I believe that is what Apple and Steve Jobs contributed to technology and to society in general. His company made products that were simple, uncomplicated versions of previously more complex and bewildering (to the general public) products and thus made their use and adoption by the public at large more accessible and more widespread.

In short: he did ergonomics exceptionally well and given that I sometimes struggle with a design that I very much want to be intuitive, I can well appreciate the sublime genius in a design when I see it. That is truly a gift and Steve Jobs seemed to have it in spades.

Dying of such a cowardly disease like cancer is something I'd very much like to live long enough to see mankind finally curbstomp. Pancreatic cancer especially. We lose too many loved ones to the body malfunctioning and going haywire like that and it's frustrating to know it's something you don't have a lot of weapons at hand to deal with. I hope his family and loved ones are comforted knowing his trial is over and he's at peace in whatever metaphysical respect they believe in.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#37 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

View PostAVReidy, on 05 October 2011 - 07:30 PM, said:

The news makes me sad, although I feel bad having remorse for his death when there are so many countless others who die every day.

Rest in peace, Steve Jobs. :cry2:

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friendís were.
Each manís death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

(John Donne)

It does not diminish any other life or any other death to recognize one in particular. If you think one life is worth noting, and considering, then you do well to note it, and consider it. This can only deepen your involvement in mankind.

If you want to take note of another life worth considering, think about this guy.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

View PostCraig328, on 06 October 2011 - 10:17 AM, said:

However, as an innovator, it's often been said that Steve Jobs shamelessly took others' ideas/inventions and repackaged them as Apple/Mac. It's been said often because Steve himself admitted to such many times.

That's the part of his legacy that his rivals never understood, and I believe why Apple has been able to beat them so easily since his return. Steve understood that adding a feature doesn't do any good if the average person won't benefit from it. That feature doesn't help you, it hurts you because people become frustrated by it. After his return, Apple didn't have the first mp3 player, it had the first mp3 player that was easy to use. Apple didn't have the first smart phone, it had the first smart phone that ordinary people enjoyed using. Tablets had been around almost ten years before the iPad became the first that people actually wanted to carry with them.

There's a lot of hard engineering that goes into making products user friendly. Only Apple under Steve Jobs was willing to spend the time and money necessary to do it. Others waited for and copied the example only to be too late and too short on the effort because they thought (and probably still think) that they can check off features and win if their list is technically longer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

Rest in peace Steve. You were a great man with great vision. You will missed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:06 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 06 October 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

That's the part of his legacy that his rivals never understood, and I believe why Apple has been able to beat them so easily since his return. Steve understood that adding a feature doesn't do any good if the average person won't benefit from it. That feature doesn't help you, it hurts you because people become frustrated by it. After his return, Apple didn't have the first mp3 player, it had the first mp3 player that was easy to use. Apple didn't have the first smart phone, it had the first smart phone that ordinary people enjoyed using. Tablets had been around almost ten years before the iPad became the first that people actually wanted to carry with them.

There's a lot of hard engineering that goes into making products user friendly. Only Apple under Steve Jobs was willing to spend the time and money necessary to do it. Others waited for and copied the example only to be too late and too short on the effort because they thought (and probably still think) that they can check off features and win if their list is technically longer.

Don't be too quick to dismiss Apple's marketing effort. It's a big corporation selling their overpriced products and they market that (quite successfully) to a segment of the population who is cynical about corporations selling their overpriced products. The successful effort to brand Apple somehow as the anti-corporate, renegade, "cool" choice when in fact they are everything that particular group claims to be against is nothing short of phenomenal and should be required study for any and all marketing students.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

It's sad because he was young and has a family left behind. That's it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

View PostCraig328, on 06 October 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

Don't be too quick to dismiss Apple's marketing effort. It's a big corporation selling their overpriced products and they market that (quite successfully) to a segment of the population who is cynical about corporations selling their overpriced products. The successful effort to brand Apple somehow as the anti-corporate, renegade, "cool" choice when in fact they are everything that particular group claims to be against is nothing short of phenomenal and should be required study for any and all marketing students.

If Apple's competitors continue to believe that they'll continue to screw up and live/die on razor thin margins. Sure, the Mac costs a little more than cheap, plastic PCs, but it costs less than Dell's higher end systems for example, and performs better. The Mac is even less expensive when you look at the cost of ownership. Is the free with a contract iPhone 3GS over-priced? Was it at $99? Most of the world thought not, making it the number 2 seller behind the iPhone 4. The iPad is cheaper than comparable competitors. Amazon is going to be selling a less powerful system at a loss in an attempt to buy market share because they know they can't match the quality that users will experience.

Marketing is important for any company. Steve Jobs knew that the most effective marketing is word of mouth, and you only get that from satisfied customers. That brings us back to engineering user friendliness into products.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

Too Zune.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

View PostjimmyBo, on 05 October 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

Still, you can't be disrespectful. Without apple a lot of the things you take for granted in a computer (the GUI for example) wouldn't exist (not in this form).

I respect the great things that Steve Jobs did for the tech industry, but the GUI was not his invention. Apple didn't even change it a whole lot from what Xerox first developed for the PARC and then 8010 in the early 1980s. As with many innovations, Steve took it and made it a whole lot more marketable, but I happen to believe that the GUI would have developed along much the same lines (eventually, anyway) even without Jobs.

That said, Steve Jobs was a great man and a huge gift to everyone affected by him (which is everyone, even folks like me who dislike Apple products). May he rest in peace.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#45 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

I respect the great things that Steve Jobs did for the tech industry, but the GUI was not his invention

And that's not what jimmyBo said. He said it wouldn't exist in this form, and I think that's right. When Jobs came across the mouse-based GUI interface at PARC, PARC had more or less dropped it, and nobody else was really doing anything with the idea.
I think it's at least plausible to say that if Jobs hadn't taken the PARC metaphors, more or less wholesale, then the idea would have been reinvented somewhere else, and it would have ended up looking quite different.
This might have been good or bad, but it would have been very different, and that was what jimmyBo said.

And it's true that the metaphors were lifted wholesale. When I first used the Macintosh - and this was the 512K Mac, before I got the hot new Mac Plus - I recognized everything about it right away, since I'd played on the Dandelion before that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »